What I think frustrates many of us still waiting

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: What I think frustrates many of us still waiting

Postby jayres » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:40 pm

I ordered the first day and am still waiting for it. I mentioned before that I was promised priority treatment for ordering on the first day. I discover that that my priority was the lowest possible priority. I have phoned the "wait on hold for an hour" 5 or 6 times and emailed many times. I provided a P.O. box initially as I was told this would be fine (what were the qualifications of these people?) and then a physical address (Dec.26) and then was told that maybe OLPC would use the post office. and then was told that Fed-Ex couldn't ship to my physical address because the Post Office said my address was no good so I gave them yet another physical address. I waited a couple of weeks but the status still says "Contact OLPC": so I phoned them again today and was asked if my problem was that I wanted to ship to a P.O. address. ???? I'm wondering how many other first day donors have been receiving my kind of priority and have yet to receive their xo?
jayres

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 am

PO Box generally isn't going to work. Day one donors were given priority, but if you had issues with your order info, then they passed by until it was corrected. You happen to be one that they couldn't process.

So, call them and have them read back your address. If it isn't correct, then have them fix it. It takes a while for the tracker to get updated, so don't bother looking if you made a recent change. I would check in once more, a week later to confirm everything is set, then look forward to March!

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby jayres » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:30 pm

I complained in Jan about not getting my xo. I won't complain about that again until about the middle of April. My current problem is that after half a dozen phone calls and more emails and two months of bull they still don't even have my shipping address straightend out. I wrote yet another letter today with all of my information once again after updateing it 2 weeks ago and waiting. We only have 1-3 more 2-weeks wait left until the new batch will be here. At the rate I have been progressing they still wont have an address that they will ship to. These address problems are not caused by me. They are because 1. they wont ship to a P.O. and 2. they wont ship to an address unless the post office says that it is a good address (everybody else does ship to my address however). We do not all have long lists of physical addresses that we can use but I have found one and provided it to them two weeks ago. but after two weeks my status still says to phone OLPC. I phoned them but you probably have also, and you know what that gets you so I wrote. Now I'm waiting again.

Thanks for your responses to my complaints. I ordered 4 of these computers two on the first day and two on Nov.28. One went to my bro' in CA and has been received, one claims to be in shipping and the other two are still in the abyss. You don't need to answer this post unless you know that the last two addresses have been updated or you have an idea which will actually work to solve this frustrating problem.
Thanks again
jayres

Postby Infamy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:48 am

You have to call the main line(I am not sure if you specified this before, 1-800-201-7144)...Don't double check 1 day later, it may not be updated. Attempt to check it the following week. That is the best we have, and it seems to work.

I have no way of knowing where the other two are unless you tell me where and who they are supposed to go to, as well as provide confirmation numbers. You can send that info to either help@laptop.org or PM it to me.

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby uravanbob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Calling the main line seems to have been an utter and complete waste of time. After calling several times and verifying that they did indeed have my correct address, I received an email notice on 3/17 that my XOs had been shipped - but no tracking #. After two weeks I called Brightstar (877 727 4448 - ask for the OLPC rep) and left voicemail. The next day, Christine called and informed me that my order was being shipped to a PO Box (ok, not necessary, but whatever I just want the .... XOs sometime while they are still relevant) and that due to mismatches between Brightstar and the USPS, the PO orders had been held up - but not to worry, everything had been shipped. I called again on 4/1 (timing is everything) and was told that for sure the orders had been shipped (Priority Mail) but they may have 'sat at the post office' over the weekend and to call back 4/4 if they had not arrived yet. So far no XOs, our delivery here is around noon, so tomorrow will tell. In any event, Christine emphasized that the only address she had was the PO Box (which was required for billing... arggghhh), meaning either Brightstar or Patriot was still in train wreck mode. So 144 days and still counting.
uravanbob

Postby solidpeg » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:27 pm

uravanbob wrote:Calling the main line seems to have been an utter and complete waste of time.

I had a very similar experience: no useful info from phone calls, problems due to shipping to a PO box, etc. But two pieces of good news: I got a tracking number from a wonderful person on this forum. The tracking number said my laptop shipped April 1. And best of all, I actually got it today (April 3). For reference, mine was shipped to Boston.

So, chin up! I hope you get yours tomorrow...
solidpeg

Postby Lightfoot » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:53 pm

I made my G1G1 donation before Thanksgiving knowing it would be after January before receiving mine. I was emailed documentation within days showing my donation for the IRS. Since I had been following the progress of the XO and knew they were developing something new I just knew I should be patient.

In January I received an email saying it should be here in February. Then later moved to mid March. I came home to a small box on the porch and was surprised when I opened the box. Two days later when checking email I found an email stating they were sending the XO!

This is a chance for me to hopefully learn some linux and help developers trouble shoot new programs. One has to have the attitude that this is not the same as working on a windows PC with many years of paid staff developing software. I guess I am lucky that I had no major problems with the unit. I hope I can figure out how to see students who receive & chat with them & learn what they do with their XO.

Any problems will be written in the appropriate form list.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Postby CaptainCanuk » Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 am

What frustrates me is the fact that I received an email telling me that I had a reference number on Feb 8, 2008. (I ordered on November 12). When I checked the tracking website, I could not get a tracking number even though I was told that the unit had shipped.

I waited patiently for about a week and then from Mid February to date, my wife and I have made numerous calls and have been told that he unit shipped USPS then someone else said it went UPS then someone else said Fedex then the last person said USPS, which indeed it was.

We were able to track it to Mississagua, Ontario, Canada and then lost the trail. When we called our Canada Post they told us that the shipper would have to track the package because they were the sender.

OLPC has failed to track the package but another representative said they had shipped another unit but with no tracking number and no real assurance that it had indeed left the shipping location.

My frustration is with lack of information and accurate information and seeming lack of concern for my lost order. No returned calls when promised. etc.
CaptainCanuk

Previous

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)