Just spoke to donor services, now feeling like a sucker

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: Just spoke to donor services, now feeling like a sucker

Postby jakeosx » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:09 pm

that is a good question.

honestly i had only followed olpc and had not donated before this.

my intention of participating in g1g1 was to start this donation process. not just money, donating money is easy, you send a check and go back to your life. i wanted to, as was the intention of the g1g1, help support the olpc program.

while getting ubuntu or whatever to work on it is interesting, i am more interested in helping those who have it. whether that be helping with wiki articles, forum posts, how-tos, etc.

i have supported other opensource programs this way.

so yes, maybe g1g1 was a bribe, but it was a bribe i was looking for. i plan to continue my support both in time and donations.

and again, i can understand the frustration, i am not berating those awaiting. perhaps i am simply asking for patience. a lot is going on with olpc. everything going smoothly? hardly. but making bad press or pulling your donation isn't going to fix the problem.
jakeosx

Postby jakeosx » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:15 pm

i'm sure you who are upset have seen this, but just incase, the info on how to get a refund:

7. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, YOU CAN GET A FULL REFUND, BUT YOU MUST REQUEST THE REFUND WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS OF YOUR CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION DATE. This refund option applies whether you make a contribution or elect to participate in the G1G1 initiative. For participants in the G1G1 initiative, should you receive an XO laptop within the thirty-day refund period, to obtain a refund you'll have to return the XO laptop(s) unopened and undamaged. To request a refund, please call 1-800-201-7144. Refunds will be issued as a credit to the credit card used to make your original payment. Please allow two (2) to four (4) weeks for the processing of your refund following the receipt of your request and, if applicable, receipt by the OLPC Foundation's agent of the XO laptop(s) you received. No refunds will be made if your request is made more than thirty (30) days after the transaction date of your payment. Please note that this refund option is independent of the Warranty that XO laptop purchasers receive in Section 6 of this Agreement.
jakeosx

Postby pgf » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 pm

jakeosx -- you're coming into this a little bit late (at least, according to your "join" date). there have been lots of promises and offers made by OLPC, including an offer of a _full_ refund. they offered that in early february (i think), after they discovered over 20,000 orders that they'd "misplaced", and realized they wouldn't be able to ship until sometime in march (i.e., now).

this has been a very long saga for many of us. we're all happy that it's nearing the end for everyone, but there's been a huge amount of frustration in the intervening months, given the initial hype and excitement, and the subsequent repeated disappointments. please consider that before judging. and remember that we've all heard it all before. :-)

paul
pgf

Postby CaptainCanuk » Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 am

mattd wrote:All we have to do is play the Infamy card and your XO gets shipped?!

Infamy hook a brother up!!

Hook me up too. I put my order in on November 12. Still waiting almost 6 months later.
CaptainCanuk

Postby CaptainCanuk » Fri May 02, 2008 10:12 pm

After my posting to several forums and a lengthy email to both help and support last night (May 1), I received am email from support this morning(May 2) and an answer to the missing laptop.

The response to the emails was much faster than what I have experienced in the past and I thank support for your taking my concern seriously. My laptop had been returned to the warehouse.

Emily at support told me that they would ship another one right away by Fedex. I will post again when I receive my laptop or the limit of my patience again which ever comes first.
CaptainCanuk

Postby backbyter » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:46 pm

OK, Captain.

It's been a month and some. I am assuming you haven't lost your patience, or perhaps you received your XO?
backbyter

Postby CaptainCanuk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:25 pm

My follow-up post is positive. I received my XO in working condition and I thank the help desk people for their help.
CaptainCanuk

Postby backbyter » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:59 am

Received the XO today at 11:00 courtesy of Culseg's excellent problem solving skills. If you still have not received your XO, I highly recommend contacting Culseg.

--Backbyter
backbyter

Previous

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)