Just spoke to donor services, now feeling like a sucker

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: Just spoke to donor services, now feeling like a sucker

Postby acevedo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Well I called donor services again today just to make sure that they had my shipping address correct, they are still saying that mine will not ship until mid to late April. Unfortunately posting has not produced any miracles for me. :cry:

But it is nice to know that there are volunteers like Infamy who have been able to help others.
acevedo

Postby Vamoose » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:25 pm

@acevedo,

I don't mean to give you false hope, but it was not donor services who emailed that my XO was on its way.

It was Sandy a support volunteer, ike Infamy, and the email with the fedex link that I received today was in response to an email I sent on Feb 5, to, I believe, help@laptop.org.

I spoke with donor services at 1-800-201-7144 on Feb 18th and was told to expect my XO by the end of Feb., and just to check up, I called them today after reading that you did, (and having checked the fedex site and seen that mine was indeed on the way), and they said I should expect it my the end of the month.

I strongly suspect that donor services has only a canned script to go by as far as shipping information goes. They can verify shipping addresses, but other than that I believe they have no specific information on shipping. So I suggest checking the alt ship page on fedex with your confirmation number and/or wait until you get an email saying it's on the way.
Vamoose

Postby acevedo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Well I guess I spoke to soon. (Cue angelic choir and light streaming from above) I just got word from Sandy (OLPC support volunteer) that my XO is being shipped. I guess miracles still happen. You just have to find a miracle worker. Thanks to Sandy, Infamy and all the rest of the volunteers!

Fedex does not make deliver mistakes... right? :roll:
acevedo

Postby frustratedmom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:55 am

I have been frustrated beyong imagine with this program. I bought a laptop for my daughter in December and made it clear that she needed it to go to Africa and gave them the date she was leaving. Needless to say, she has been there six weeks and no laptop. I am furious at the customer service, or lack thereof that i received. I asked for a refund about six weeks ago so I could donate the money directly to the village where my daughter is volunteering. Today I get a notice for a partial refund. No one to talk to, no one to answer emails. I can not believe this organization will ever make a difference based on my dealings with them. To further compound matters the email says they have credited my paypal account, but i don't have one. What to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustratedmom
frustratedmom

Postby mattd » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:24 am

Not only is Infamy one helluva force for good in the XO community, but he's prescient, too!

by mattd on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:16 pm
mattd wrote:Infamy hook a brother up!!

FedEx track page
Mar 7, 2008 12:20 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx LIBERTYVILLE, IL
mattd

Postby joanlvh » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 pm

I made the decision that there had been so many delays and incorrect info from 1-800 that I could not trust that the program would actually deliver all laptops to the children it was meant to serve . I cancelled my order and now find true to their history ( at least with me ) they have refunded 1/2 of my donation allthough I called twice to double check on my cancellation and to both Pamela and Cynithia explained that I wanted my entire donation returned. !!! what a disappointing experience. joanlvh
joanlvh

Postby frustratedmom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:23 am

I am sharing the same frustration. I have no faith in this organization to get the donated laptop to a child. NONE! I want to give my donation directly to the village and will not stop until my full refund is credited. Anyone had this happen and if so how did you do it?
FRUSTRATED MOM
frustratedmom

Postby Goatview » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I don't recall which number I phoned to INSIST on a FULL refund, but it did work finally. And on two orders, too. It looks like there is more resistance to giving the full refund since I got mine, however. I'd just keep calling and emailing them and see what happens. I used the laptop portion of the refunded money to get an Asus EEE pc...it's great. It fits in my purse, which isn't big, and has so far withstood all the bumping around.
Goatview

Postby tsdguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Sure. When I want to find out the truth about something, I always ask a disgruntled, spiteful, anonymous internet poster rather than reading dozens of stories about hundreds of volunteers that have deployed tens of thousands of laptops all over the world.

All of the stories and picture and testimonials on laptopfoundation.org and laptop.org are fake just to make scam a few folks out of a couple of hundred dollars. Rather than believe the truth about G1G1 - that the program got a little out of hand and that OLPC was not as prepared as they should have but they are doing their best to make it up to everyone and get every laptop to everyone that has donated you should believe someone with no information whatsoever.

I can tell you that if you gave a donation, you will get your laptop. If you don't want to wait until the end of March, then OLPC will return your money - either all of it or just your portion so that the other portion can still be used for an XO donation.

If you have any trouble, send a note to help@laptop.org. Someone there will make sure your request is answered. Maybe not in 5 minutes - everyone at help@laptop.org is a volunteer and we all have lives and jobs but every request is tracked and handled.

Remember that the 800 number is not OLPC - it's another company partnering with OLPC.
Foes: kentsin, InterNetZoo
tsdguy

Postby frustratedmom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:55 pm

Who is believing anonymous posters??? I have experienced this frustration myself, as have most of the posters. It has been infuriating. I was told over and over my laptop was coming. Even went so far as to tell me the day and that I needed to get my tracking number. That was two months ago. I have spent endless time on the phone. The answers to that help email are slow in coming and don't solve the problem. Nice idea, horrible execution. I just want my money back, not half of it.
frustratedmom

Postby acevedo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:08 am

Fedex came through, I am typing this on my little XO. Thanks to all of the volunteers for their help.
acevedo

Postby jakeosx » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:32 am

give one get one was not an "order", it was a donation where the donor got something in return. I got a laptop and a child got a laptop.

didn't get your order in three days? sorry, no sympathy. there were hundreds of thousands of orders. only the first 150,000 got theirs before Christmas.

that is a big number.

i am sorry you feel like this is a failure and you have pulled out your money. it was always promoted as a donation. try donating to the red cross and then calling back a month later and ask for that money back. this should be a sign of good things in olpc, not bad things.

i would do it again in a heartbeat even if it meant it was august before i saw another olpc. why? because i believe in this program. and i believe my donation has made the life of a child better.

i did not purchase an eeepc because i did not want a subcompact notebook. i bought an olpc because i wanted an olpc.
jakeosx

Postby uravanbob » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 pm

jakeosx- first, there were only approximately 68K donations some of which were multiple machines (like mine). second, only about 45K machines were shipped to various donors - order date seems pretty random, leaving some 23K left to ship. I donated 2 on D1 and have yet to receive the two I expected as part of the deal .

That it is taking so long is not really the issue for me (and I suspect most of those waiting). What has really prompted the anger and frustration is the absolutely borked management of the program and lack of communication. Personally, I was notified that I would receive my XOs in December, January, February and now March or April.

Last time I donated to the Red Cross they did not offer me anything other than their continued mission in return. Had I made a pledge to the local PBS (which frequently offers 'incentives' and not received it 4 months after constant promises that it was being shipped in a few days/weeks - I would be a bit peeved at them too.

Do some people need to step back and take a breath? Yes - it is a charity and even the for-profits screw things up. Does OLPC need to stand up and without reservation or qualification admit that they blew it big time? Absolutely! But since evading responsibility seems to be the modus operandi of much of today's 'leadership', I'm not holding my breath. I will certainly be more cautious when pursing an OLPC project for the local rural school district.
uravanbob

Postby jakeosx » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:55 pm

i apologize, i did the numbers off the top of my head.

which is not a good idea first thing in the morning. :oops:
jakeosx

Postby Goatview » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:56 pm

My question to those who would berate the disgruntled donors and question the purity of their hearts:

Would you have "donated" even half the amount you "donated" during the G1G1 period were it not for the fact that you were supposed to G1G1? Had you given any donation to OLPC prior to your G1G1 contribution? No? Then you are just as venal (this is not a swear word--THIS time, please look it up before you censor my post) as I am, just not as vocal.
Goatview

PreviousNext

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)