XO laptops to donate

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

XO laptops to donate

Postby alexz13 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:38 pm

I recently did the G1G1 program for my 4 grandchildren who prefer their parents PCs. :D SO, I have XO laptops to donate. I'd prefer to gift them to children outside of the USA who would use them. Let me know if you have some kids in need.
alexz13

Re: XO laptops to donate

Postby culseg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Here is a website for a project in Haiti has a pilot going with XOs.

http://waveplace.com/

You can make contact and decide yourself.

In some ways there is a distinct advantage to join an effort underway where there is some community support in progress.
culseg
Support Team

Postby alexz13 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 am

You are so right. A little support and motivation go along way. thank you. The website looks interesting. I'll check it out. thanks again.
alexz13

Postby BoBraxton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm

There are teachers and over 400 students in Kenya who would be happy with four. Our "green team" was there from July 2 and returned on 22 July, 2008, with plans to go back one year from now. We are in northern Virginia about 25 miles outside Washington, D.C., and would be providing the transportation for the XO systems to Kenya for any we had by then.
BoBraxton

Postby alexz13 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:48 am

2 of the 4 xo's are in the USA and 2 are in Bangkok. Could we mail them to Kenya?
alexz13

Postby shaye » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:26 am

Hello and thank you for your post.
If you still have ANY laptops to donate, my organizations would LOVE to have them...We work in The Gambia, West Africa. Technology is abysmal and the students are doing everything they can to improve their access to information and their international test scores, but as you can imagine, in the smallest country on continental Africa, it is a monumental task. You can check out our websites and see the work we're doing and if you are interested in donating, we would be forever grateful:
http://www.salikenni.org
http://www.learnforchange.org
shaye

Postby alexz13 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:20 pm

I would like to donate 2 xo's to your program in The Gambia. Please let me know where to sen them.
alexz13

Postby shaye » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:48 pm

Hello alexz13:
Thank you so much for you willingness to donate to our programs. You can send the items to
Learn For Change Inc.
c/o Shaye Brown
1707 January Dr. #303
Silver Spring, MD 20904
We ship items to The Gambia once a month. Also, if you or anyone you know has old clothes, school supplies, or old electronics to donate, please pass along the word that families in the village are in desperate need. If you'd like a tax-deductible receipt, we can send you one once we receive any donations...just let me know with the shipment or send me a message...we can give you a receipt for the computers and any other donations along with any shipping costs.
Thanks again, Shaye
shaye

Postby alexz13 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:20 pm

OK. I will forward your address to my my son and aks him to ship the 2 computers to you. What size/type of clothing? electronics? school supplies? are you looking for?
alex
alexz13

Postby shaye » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:45 am

Hi Alex:
I spoke with your son briefly at the end of July but never heard anything since. I have been in The Gambia for the beginning of the school year there. The children are very excited about the newest tech program we're launching. We have purchased some Dells, had some HPs donated and for the youngest children, we are using XOs. I have two and could really use the other two if you still have them. I have decided to move to The Gambia, at least for the forseeable future and I will be leaving here(MD) after Xmas. Thanks again for your support of the program. Oh, about the clothes/electronics/supplies...basically we can use anything that is in good condition, as the families in the village have very little. For example, we have a pregnant mother and her 7th grade daughter may have to drop out to find a job because she can't afford school supplies and her family doesn't have basic necessicities like clothes. We want to help our families in any way so that our kids can have the best chance possible to succeed without the pressure of being the primary breadwinner for their families. It's an ongoing struggle.
Anyway, thanks again for any help you can provide. Peace, S
shaye

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)