Camping with XO Laptop

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Camping with XO Laptop

Postby robsargeant2 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:57 pm

I took my rugged XO Laptop along with us on our family camping trip this year so I could continue working on my latest book, Dance With Me. We went to three campgrounds on Vancouver Island, the furthest one away being French Beach, on the west side. My kids are both teens, who sleep in until almost noontime, so most mornings I had to myself. On Hornby Island, our first destination, I went to a nearby cafe for a morning Cappuccino and sat on a bench with my XO Laptop tapping away as some of the locals came to get their morning kick-start. The XO battery held up well, helped by the fact that it has no moving parts. It uses Abiword as its word processor (a Linux based freeware program). I had to convert it back to Word for windows from the Kingston 2 GB flashdrive when I got home. Because the computer is sealed, sand and dirt can easily by brushed away from the keyboard and screen. Part of my story takes place on Hornby Island, so it definitely helped to be on location, and got the creative juices flowing. French Beach, our next stop, was much cooler. The morning spent there, I sat at a picnic table with a view of the ocean, trying to spot whales as I worked on the laptop. I wrote a couple of clever paragraphs about a chase scene and saved it (I thought) before powering down the XO. I didn't get to work on it again at our last camping location, Goldstream Provincial Park, because that morning I was shuttling my wife to the Victoria train station, and breaking camp by myself, while the teens went to jump off a water fall. I've got one more outing left before my leave ends, a two-day solo kayaking trip around some Gulf Islands. I'll see how well the XO Laptop holds up while I'm on that. I hope I don't capsize. Not to worry, the XO Laptop is water resistant. Shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a link to some video of my solo kayaking trip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrHyyN32_8A

I brought the XO Laptop along on the kayaking adventure and managed to get some writing done before the bugs got me.

Rob
robsargeant2

Re: Camping with XO Laptop

Postby AuntiMame » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 pm

I wrote a couple of clever paragraphs about a chase scene and saved it (I thought) before powering down the XO.

Rob,

I you are using the Write activity anything you do is saved in the Journal. That's the cool thing about the Journal -- you never have to "File/Save" anything! The Journal does it automatically.

If you used renamed the keybindings.xml file so that you could access the full Abiword underneath Write then you do have to "File/Save".

Aunti
http://www.XOExplosion.com
Silly name. Great stuff for your XO laptop.
AuntiMame

Postby robsargeant2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I must've looked under the wrong journal entry.
robsargeant2

Postby ektoric » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 pm

That was an awesome usage of the XO! I'll bet you got some nifty looks at the coffee shops!

Though the XO is water "resistant", it is not water "proof". Capsizing is probably not the best thing to depend on the XO to recover from.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby robsargeant2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:01 pm

I did get some interesting questions from the locals. Capsizing wouldn't have been good, as it was salt water. I did keep it in a water tight pack when It wasn't in use.
robsargeant2

Postby buddz98 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:37 am

robsargeant2 wrote:I took my rugged XO Laptop along with us on our family camping trip this year so I could continue working on my latest book, Dance With Me. We went to three campgrounds on Vancouver Island, the furthest one away being French Beach, on the west side. My kids are both teens, who sleep in until almost noontime, so most mornings I had to myself. On Hornby Island, our first destination, I went to a nearby cafe for a morning Cappuccino and sat on a bench with my XO Laptop tapping away as some of the locals came to get their morning kick-start. The XO battery held up well, helped by the fact that it has no moving parts. It uses Abiword as its word processor (a Linux based freeware program). I had to convert it back to Word for windows from the Kingston 2 GB flashdrive when I got home. Because the computer is sealed, sand and dirt can easily by brushed away from the keyboard and screen. Part of my story takes place on Hornby Island, so it definitely helped to be on location, and got the creative juices flowing. French Beach, our next stop, was much cooler. The morning spent there, I sat at a picnic table with a view of the ocean, trying to spot whales as I worked on the laptop. I wrote a couple of clever paragraphs about a chase scene and saved it (I thought) before powering down the XO. I didn't get to work on it again at our last camping location, Goldstream Provincial Park, because that morning I was shuttling my wife to the Victoria train station, and breaking camp by myself, while the teens went to jump off a water fall. I've got one more outing left before my leave ends, a two-day solo kayaking trip around some Gulf Islands. I'll see how well the XO Laptop holds up while I'm on that. I hope I don't capsize. Not to worry, the XO Laptop is water resistant. Shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a link to some video of my solo kayaking trip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrHyyN32_8A

I brought the XO Laptop along on the kayaking adventure and managed to get some writing done before the bugs got me.

Rob

that what rugged XO Laptop can do , well done you can work while on camping

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)