New XO from Amazon

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

New XO from Amazon

Postby kepstein » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:05 pm

I just ordered my XO from Amazon. I'm trying to do some preparation in terms of education. Will the XO that Amazon is currently shipping require OS updating? I also order the Fedora 10 on SD Card for the OLPC from On Disk. Will this need updating?

Thanks,
Ken
kepstein

Re: New XO from Amazon

Postby genesee » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:19 pm

I hear some of the G1G1 v2 xo's were shipped with an older build. No big deal! Check your version in 'About My XO'. If it's build 767 then you are up to date. If not, it's easy to upgrade in the Terminal Activity with the olpc-update 767 command. See the wiki or the Help Activity for more info.
The Fedora SD is an alternative OS/UI to the built in Sugar UI and should not need any upgrade, regardless of what build your xo ships with. You use one or the other, not both at the same time.
As a newbie you should check out the Help Activity, the Getting Started page in the wiki and User:AuntiMame, (she has some great tips). Also, you will want a Developer Key.
Have fun, but not too much!

genesee
genesee

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)