Is the OS available in Brazilian Portuguese?

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Is the OS available in Brazilian Portuguese?

Postby Jumpolo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Hello,

I am interested in the donating one and getting one program. I live in the US but I would like to donate the one I would get to a Brazilian child.

Does anyone know if the laptop's OS is available in Portuguese (or better in Brazilian Portuguese)? Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I searched the forum but did not find an answer.

Thanks!
Jumpolo

Re: Is the OS available in Brazilian Portuguese?

Postby ektoric » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Per http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Brazil there is indeed a deployment in Brazil with Brazilian Portuguese as the language.

Unfortunately, the G1G1 units are manufactured with the English keyboard, instead of the OLPC Portuguese Keyboard. I don't think the current spare parts or repair centers have spare Portuguese keyboards.

As for the software, after you've installed the updates, you can install a Language Pack and change the default language. You'll probably want to test that further upgrades retain your chosen default language and doesn't revert back. (I assume that would be the case, but since you won't be physically there to fix it if it isn't, might as well test it first.)

I don't know if the language pack is enough for localizing activities, or if you need to switch your Activity Pack as well.

Finally, if you do get this to work, by all means post in the Tips and Tricks section, as I'm sure other people would be interested about your successes!
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Is the OS available in Brazilian Portuguese?

Postby Jumpolo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply, greatly appreciated! I will definitively share my experiences.
Jumpolo

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)