Packages lost by FedEx?

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: Packages lost by FedEx?

Postby Infamy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 pm

Please don't hesitate to send information to the folks at olpcnews regarding the threads over here. I know there are people there that don't watch these forums, and they might be of use. I just don't have time to split between the two(though I do get over there every once in a while :) ).

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby pgf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Infamy wrote:Please don't hesitate to send information to the folks at olpcnews regarding the threads over here.

someone already directed that person (with the package delivered across the street) over here.

this raises something i've been thinking about though.

communties can't really be "organized" -- they organize themselves. if it's OLPC's intent that "the community" will be the basis for ongoing support, and even development to some extent, it would be naive of them to insist that that support and development all take place in an "official" place. it will, almost by definition, take place wherever the community has organized itself. providing this forum space was obviously the right thing to do, but if there are other places on the web where users and developers congregate, OLPC needs to go to them, and not expect it to always be vice versa.

it's easy to sit on the sidelines and kibitz, so let me continue... :-)

i think it would be remiss of OLPC not to have someone (and i'm thinking "staff", here, not "volunteer", though that might work too) whose job it was to keep tabs on _all_ of the relevant forums (with emphasis on the biggest of course), and also to do regular (automated?) web searches for fresh blog and press mentions (to pick up on the next "brent oxley", for instance). that person needn't to be the one to respond to, or even fully investigate the issues they spot -- they just need to be the "scout", keeping their finger on the pulse of the OLPC community, to keep the rest of the staff and volunteers informed about where they might best be spending their time. there's no reason, for instance, that you (infamy) need to read the olpcnews forum all the time, but if someone kept you alerted as to things going on there, and other places you (or someone like you) could step in. i know this has been happening in any case, but (correct me if i'm wrong), i believe it's been fairly ad-hoc. i'd like to hear that OLPC is being pro-active about tracking "the community".

[ disclaimer -- maybe this is already happening, and someone is already "watching" and keeping tabs on OLPC's community, and public perception. if so, great!! ]

paul
pgf

Postby Infamy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:32 pm

A lot of the important stuff does go around pretty quick. But I get the sense that a lot of people get lost in the "noise" of olpcnews, where they may not get direct help from OLPC or a volunteer. I know there are a number of volunteers who keep tabs on both, so that is good. And when the big stuff does show up, the volunteers make sure it is noticed within OLPC. So in a sense there are a number of scouts for this sort of thing.

You are right though, communities do find their "centers" on their own. So it is good that there are places like olpcnews to act as third parties, while it is good that OLPC keeps up a wiki/forums for the community to read up on. The community will go where it pleases, but will probably find value in both.

A good example would be the gentoo community. Best docs I've ever seen. And the forum is quite popular too. But, there are still places like gentoo-portage.com that do great as a third party because they offer something useful, that isn't, in a direct way, available from gentoo.

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby zz9 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Mentioning gentoo brings up a funny issue... open source groups have been doing distribution on a larger scale than OLPC needs to for a long time now. They have documents, case studies, workflows, all available to the right questioners. It is rather sad none of these resources seem to have been tapped in the run-up to this... There certainly was enough time for it, and nothing technical seems to have been done in that run-up period. The infrastructure simply was not built or tested. I personally would have gladly volunteered as a web developer if asked, and most people I know would have been happy to throw a few (or many) hours of dev/patches/bug reports in if we had been asked. I am not talking about the OS here, but the infrastructure for sales and distribution.

On the gentoo note, another side project is of course gentoo-wiki.com which is a model of how documentation organized by the community should work.
zz9

Postby Pecisk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:28 am

zz9 wrote:Mentioning gentoo brings up a funny issue... open source groups have been doing distribution on a larger scale than OLPC needs to for a long time now. They have documents, case studies, workflows, all available to the right questioners. It is rather sad none of these resources seem to have been tapped in the run-up to this... There certainly was enough time for it, and nothing technical seems to have been done in that run-up period. The infrastructure simply was not built or tested. I personally would have gladly volunteered as a web developer if asked, and most people I know would have been happy to throw a few (or many) hours of dev/patches/bug reports in if we had been asked. I am not talking about the OS here, but the infrastructure for sales and distribution.

On the gentoo note, another side project is of course gentoo-wiki.com which is a model of how documentation organized by the community should work.

I second this idea. As it seems, volunteers and people who really care about OLPC has done a hell much better job than commercial entities. Of course, it all needs very good supervision via some very expert in selling and shipping, but rest of it can be organised via help of volunteers.

Someone from RedHat should go stright to Negropointe with this idea.
Pecisk

My (final?) strategy

Postby microwiz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:40 am

Okay, I think I have it boiled down now - here we go:

---

Here is some good news for those trying to file FedEx claims - I think I have a solution that works pretty well!

Step 1: Make sure your FedEx claim is completely ready to file. That means that you've got all the information about it that you need, like the original tracking number, the claim number, and a status that indicates that replacement is required (e.g. mine was "Lost at depot" or similar - entered Chicago hub but was never seen leaving it). Note that this requires that you've initiated a package trace and got the results back! Those of you who have situations with your XO-1 being delivered at an incorrect address, or at an insecure location with no signature required, may need more documentation (e.g. a police report?)

Step 2: Put all the information you've gathered into an email message to 'help@laptop.org' requesting help with a FedEx claim. I worked with a representative of theirs about this, and they should now have access to some resources within Brightstar that will help to get your FedEx claim filed. NOTE that you really need to email help@ about this and get a ticket opened. As far as I can tell, contacting the phone support line is NOT useful this way, since that's just Patriot. When I tried that method, I discovered at that time that the best they can do is take the info, then 'throw it over the wall' to Brightstar and hope that someone handles it eventually. It wasn't satisfactory for me, and it shouldn't be satisfactory for you either!

Step 3: Keep an eye on your issue. Hopefully you'll get more back from help@ beyond the standard auto-ack - you can try to contact them a few days after you've submitted your information and see what's happening. You can also do what I found most useful, which is to contact FedEx and see if there's been any claim activity on your shipment yet. (That's useful information to include when you contact help@ to see what's happening!)

---

Hopefully, using this method, all the stars will align and you'll be able to get a claim started, which should lead to your getting a replacement XO-1 ... though at this point I suspect they might have to come out of the new batch that is due some weeks off :(

I posted this on the OLPCNews forums as well. Hope this is useful to those who are in this situation. Please feel free to post replies and/or PM me about this!
microwiz

Postby microwiz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:30 am

I am very gratified (and happy for OLPC!) that I am not having a lot of people PM'ing me and/or posting to this thread. :)
microwiz

Postby zz9 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:10 am

I have yet to receive my promised reply, and am 'sans laptop' of course :|
zz9

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:48 am

zz9,

I sent word out, but haven't recieved anything back. I failed to follow up in the frenzy of all of this. I will make sure action is taken on yours asap.

Sorry about that.

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby zz9 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:22 am

Infamy wrote:zz9,

I sent word out, but haven't recieved anything back. I failed to follow up in the frenzy of all of this. I will make sure action is taken on yours asap.

Sorry about that.

-Infamy

I just hope my laptop which must have been re-addressed and re-sent out (without checking its status of course) is making someone somewhere happy.
zz9

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:55 am

Wheels are turning, I should have something back soon.

Once an XO is assigned to you, and the order is shipped, it won't get reassigned elsewhere(unless you refund). From what I was told, FedEx was tracing this package, but it has been tough getting exact info on it from them. More to come...

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby opus345 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Micro,

Great detail and suggestions on the course of actions. I'm sure it will benefit folks.

I'm glad your XOs are being used for their intended purpose: education.

Take care!

Opus
opus345

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:50 pm

zz9,

Did receive word back today, should hear something on Monday.

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby zz9 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:22 am

I am anxiously waiting :)

I sent my reply to help@laptop as asked after my proscribed 10 day wait.
zz9

Postby zz9 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 am

Although it is IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to communicate with me, after repeated inquiries they say they found my laptop (ok, first of all why was I not notified, and is this REALLY true?).

Wait for it, they are not going to SHIP me my laptop because they are WAITING for enough to BATCH instead.

QUOTE: "As soon as the remaining donors with this particular problem respond, this batch will go to the next stage in the shipping process."

Again, this seems calculated to make people go ballistic. I also am pretty sure they have no specific knowledge of my case at all, and this is just platitudes while they try to get more laptops made. Form letters, all signed by different people at service@ - seems they have many many staffers... annoyingly many since no one knows answers.
zz9

PreviousNext

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)