Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Postby Infamy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi Folks,

I wanted to put an update here to get everyone up to date on what OLPC is doing to get your XO to you. If it helps, my very own XO was supposed to arrive on the 15th, but as you know, I haven't recieved it yet. We really do appreciate the patience everyone has shown so far.

The root issue here stems from the logistics companies that were taking orders. They were unaware of the shipping contract our material handling company had with FedEx, where FedEx would not deliver to a PO Box. They discovered this late in the game, and have been revising the errant orders by contacting the donors directly(very time consuming).

So, we(OLPC) are in the process of determining which orders were mishandled by the logistics companies who are processing the G1G1 orders, and are still outstanding to this date. Now on to the good news!

The friendly Volunteers at the help desk(help@laptop.org) are now able to determine the status of your order, and to work with you to fix it if need be. Please keep in mind some orders will be located quicker than others, depending on the hoops we have to jump through. To make this process as effective as possible, please be sure to include the following information when you shoot us an email:

1. Full Name
2. Shipping Address
3. Confirmation number
4. Order Date

If there are any outstanding questions, please feel free to follow up on this thread. Again, your patience is GREATLY appreciated, and really means a lot to all involved.

Best Regards,

Infamy

***UPDATE***

Just to let everyone know, we got some good progress out of Patriot, in the form of an improved order tracker today:

http://64.34.176.239/laptop_giving/index.html

The long and short from what I've seen for messages out of it so far. There are some who will be receiving theirs shortly, some that will be delay until march, and others that need to make corrections in order process the order correctly. I having also been told that your order date sets priority on delivery, so if you were a first day donor, you *should* be first in line.

Cheers!
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

What about 'lost' shipments?

Postby microwiz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 pm

What about shipments that have apparently been "lost" by FedEx - stolen, misplaced, etc.?

Is there anything that can be done to expedite, or even get the status of, FedEx claims? I tried to contact OLPC this morning and wasn't able to get any more information than I was on 01/07 - just that the information for the claim had been sent over and that there had been no communication since then. I was also told in no uncertain terms that it's not allowed to give me the information I'd need to follow up with the shipping company (Brightstar).

This is driving me absolutely crazy. I've never run into so many layers of obfuscation and opacity! I just want my XO-1! :(
microwiz

What about other order problems?

Postby mindy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:12 pm

What about the orders that were not for P.O. boxes? My address had been correct since the day we placed it ("day 2") and we're still stuck "in shipping"

-- Mindy
mindy

Re: Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Postby xononsipuo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Infamy,
I have just followed your suggestion and send an email to help@laptop.org with all the data you asked for.
Have a look at the reply shown below ... I am afraid I did not get what I was expecting.
What email address am I supposed to send my email to?
Thanks, Edoardo

==== reply from help@laptop.org=====
Edoardo,

Certainly this has been frustrating to not know the status of your
shipment.

Have you either called Donor Services or tried your reference number
for
tracking at laptopgiving.org or at Fedex's alternate tracking?

For additional questions please email us at service@laptopgiving.org or
call at 1-800-201-7144.

and for Fedex
http://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking

If you don't get some updates at those sources we'll keep your issues
open here at tech support to see if we can help.

--
Sandy
OLPC support volunteer
http://support.laptop.org
========================
Infamy wrote:Hi Folks,

I wanted to put an update here to get everyone up to date on what OLPC is doing to get your XO to you. If it helps, my very own XO was supposed to arrive on the 15th, but as you know, I haven't recieved it yet. We really do appreciate the patience everyone has shown so far.

The root issue here stems from the logistics companies that were taking orders. They were unaware of the shipping contract our material handling company had with FedEx, where FedEx would not deliver to a PO Box. They discovered this late in the game, and have been revising the errant orders by contacting the donors directly(very time consuming).

So, we(OLPC) are in the process of determining which orders were mishandled by the logistics companies who are processing the G1G1 orders, and are still outstanding to this date. Now on to the good news!

The friendly Volunteers at the help desk(help@laptop.org) are now able to determine the status of your order, and to work with you to fix it if need be. Please keep in mind some orders will be located quicker than others, depending on the hoops we have to jump through. To make this process as effective as possible, please be sure to include the following information when you shoot us an email:

1. Full Name
2. Shipping Address
3. Confirmation number
4. Order Date

If there are any outstanding questions, please feel free to follow up on this thread. Again, your patience is GREATLY appreciated, and really means a lot to all involved.

Best Regards,

Infamy
xononsipuo

Standard Address as well

Postby CanuckinUS » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 pm

I've sent in my e-mail, but my question is the same as Mindy's - I have a standard address, ordered on Day 1, and would like to know what went wrong with my order (or at least get it delivered).
G1G1D1 (arrived after 75 days) and G1G1D-Last (still waiting.....)
CanuckinUS

Postby Steve Holton » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:24 pm

xononsipuo wrote:Infamy,
I have just followed your suggestion and send an email to help@laptop.org with all the data you asked for.
Have a look at the reply shown below ... I am afraid I did not get what I was expecting.
Thanks, Edoardo

Patience, please. The processes are evolving even as we speak.

We'll need a chance to circulate this new information through our help desk staff.
Steve Holton http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support
Got an XO? Get on the map: http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm
Steve Holton
Support Team

Re: Standard Address as well

Postby pgf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:35 pm

CanuckinUS wrote: I have a standard address, ordered on Day 1, and would like to know what went wrong with my order (or at least get it delivered).

hi -- just another donor here -- if you haven't already, i strongly recommend that you enter your address at this fedex address verification form, and see if it makes any corrections.

in my case, it added the +4 zipcode extension to a very simple residential address, and, indeed, this is what i was told moved my order from "waiting" to "shipping". it's my impression that any failure of the verification, even seemingly insignificant, caused orders to be kicked back from brightstar.

(but if you've been told that your order is already "in shipping", then this probably won't help you.)

paul
pgf

zip code

Postby mindy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:37 pm

I think that might have been my original problem since my order didn't got to "shipping" until after 12/31. When I called to add my 4 digit zip, the order had already been fixed. However, being "in shipping" doesn't seem to do much good. Seems like the Canadians are having better luck this week...
mindy

Postby xononsipuo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Steve Holton wrote:
xononsipuo wrote:Infamy,
Thanks, Edoardo

Patience, please. The processes are evolving even as we speak.

We'll need a chance to circulate this new information through our help desk staff.

Sure, no problem.
Should I re-send a new email in a little while or can the support team have a look at my previous email in the RT system?
Thanks a lot for your help, Edoardo
xononsipuo

Postby Steve Holton » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:53 pm

xononsipuo:

We've got all the emails. (RT never lets us forget.)

But we're trying to clarify the policy and get ourselves organized so the volunteers don't waste time spinning their wheels.

If we could hold-off flooding RT until we're sure of process, it would be appreciated.

And, no, I'm not just trying to be sure my ticket get's in first... ;-)
Steve Holton
Support Team

Postby Infamy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Microwiz- I will get exact information on how the lost/stolen etc packages are to be handled.

Mindy- It is ok if it isn't to a PO Box. We will check your order all the same

xononsipuo- Don't sweat it, we are still ramping up. In the future(and this is a suggestion for everyone), if you are commenting on a response from help@laptop.org, please include the ticket number.

CanuckinUS- Will check just the same.

Cheers,

Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby Steve Holton » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:48 pm

This is clearly going to be a layered process.

Some orders will be easy to find in the first layers, others we'll have to dig deeper and deeper through the process to find what we can.

In other words, some people will get an immediate "You Are Here" and some people will get the more frustrating ""You're not in here, so I'll have to dig deeper."

There are tips and an updated FAQ entry on the wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#Where_is_my_G1G1_XO.3F

It would help us to get our work organized if concerned community members could first filter out the easiest ones themselves.

If you know you gave only a P.O. Box for a shipping address (for example, if you paid by PayPAL and PayPAL only knows you by your P.O. Box address) then you really NEED to call Donor Services at 800-201-7144.

If you've received a FedEx tracking number, then your best bet is to contact FedEx or try to locate your XO using the the Fedex Tracking Site at http://www.fedex.com/Tracking

If you've already tried those, help us out a bit by tagging your mail to us with a subject line like:
- FEDEX <your order number> so we can route this to our FedEx prime:
- SHIPPING <your order number> so we can route this to our shipping problem team:

And again, you should expect an immediate (auto) reply from the help@ address, indicating we received your messages, and showing that we have a good return email address for you. If you don't get an auto confirmation back, see:
http://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2524

We'll post more here as it becomes available.

Thanks again for your cooperation and patience.
Steve Holton
Support Team

Salt in the wound...

Postby thatseattleguy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Steve & Infamy:

This is cool, and good news for the donors (like me) who have been waiting for their XOs for two months - and through two missed delivery dates - and have been on the phone with customer service numerous times, repeating the same information over and over.

The thing that always rankles in any communication from OLPC - including that of volunteers like yourselves - is the "blame the victim" mentality. Rather than admit massive logistical and organizational snafus, it seems like OLPC is still falling back on excuses that deflect blame (most notably, the "you gave us a PO Box!" line).

But in the VAST majority of cases I've seen here and on OLPCNews, this was not the problem: the real problem was OLPC's order systems dropping street address fields from Paypal orders, leading to no valid street address in the customer's order record. This had NOTHING to do with PO Boxes in the shipping address. (Let's not even go to why OLPC couldn't just go back to the original Paypal receipt and pull out the missing data...)

Why is OLPC unwilling to admit (let alone correct!) this mistake on their part, which is what seemingly led to a very large part of the fiasco that is G1G1 fulfillment and shipping? Why must the organization keep falling back on excuses that ring hollow and serve only to deflect blame from itself?

What is it about a "we screwed up badly, we're trying to fix it" that's impossible for OLPC to publicly admit?

yours,
/ThatSeattleGuy/
thatseattleguy

... not to mention...

Postby mindy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:15 pm

I know I'm soundling like a broken record, but I agree with ThatSeattleGuy (howdy, neighbor!) and would like to add that in my case, I didn't even get a munged address from PayPal. There was nothing wrong with my order at all (as I confirmed by calling support) and we mysteriously never got any emails with confirmation numbers, shipping dates, or otherwise. Just the initial thank you letter with no conf number. I had to call support to get it.

This is a point I made in another post to another thread:

There are SEVERAL problems that are all contributing to this and P.O. Box isn't the worst of it.

Mindy
Everett, WA
mindy

Amen, thatseattleguy!

Postby awexome » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:40 pm

For those of us who have sat through two missed delivery deadlines, calls to customer "service" where no one can tell us anything, a big ol' "We at OLPC are very, very sorry. We screwed up lots of orders really badly. We've been horrible about communicating delays. We value you as donors and customers. Please be patient with us, we promise you'll get your laptop eventually." posted on the laptopgiving.org site instead of erroneous delivery timetables and also coming from the mouths of the customer "service" reps, instead of thinly veiled accusations that we're somehow greedy for wanting our XOs, oh, I don't know, when you said they would get to us, and lame "we're a non-profit" excuses, would do wonders for my increasing frustration with OLPC.
awexome

Next

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)