Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Postby nov 19th donor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 pm

i got this message on tuesday (my birthday !!:(
Dear Donor,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in receiving your XO laptop. Give One Get One was such a phenomenal success that we over-taxed our order processing and payment systems. Demand exceeded supply.

Additional XO laptops are being built now and will be delivered in 30 to 45 days. If you wish to reconsider your contribution in the face of this delay, we will issue a refund to you. We have set up a dedicated phone line for these requests. The number is 1-800-201-7144.......

this is the first e-mail that i have received since early december... i was hoping that i was farther up the line on getting a laptop, but this e-mail puts me way behind since i got my e-mail tuesday and most people got the same e-mail a month ago!

so now i am looking at mid april ??

mel
nov 19th donor

Postby pgf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:26 pm

oh, that's a lousy birthday present, to be sure. :-/

since the verbiage really is the same as that received by most folks several weeks ago, with any luck your copy was just delayed or lost somewhere. people on the other forum are reporting getting a "don't worry, things are still on track for late march" status update mail (i haven't gotten it yet). maybe you'll get one of those soon? don't know if calling them again would yield any more info or not. good luck!

paul
pgf

Postby jayres » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Steve Holton wrote:Because you seem to be burning an awful lot of bridges here, and you might find the community you disparage today is less willing to help you tomorrow.

Now he didn't send this note to me but still I am worried.
I'm a first day donor who is still waiting, and waiting and waiting. I am an open source programmer who ordered on the first day in order to be one of the first programmers with this new partially open software device. Well forget that, but I am still very interested so I will wait till July and maybe longer and I won't cancel if I can help it as I really have not lost site of this great endeavor. However, I have complained about OLPC. Should I take the threat from Steve seriously? If he is serious then I guess I should cancel my orders. I will almost certainly need help. What to do.....
jayres

Postby nov 19th donor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:19 pm

where did you see that message?
i figure if they send out another message telling me it will be April/ may, then i will cancel my order, and buy one on ebay. there are plenty of buy it now for $400
but i really don't want to do that:(

mel
nov 19th donor

Postby pgf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 pm

jayres wrote:Now he didn't send this note to me but still I am worried.

right -- he didn't send it to you -- you're quoting a month-old conversation between two people that haven't been active in this thread for quite some time.

there are a lot of first day donors here -- you're not alone. (i'm one too.) the OLPC program screwed up -- there's no question of that -- their order processing system was buggy, and the problems it caused weren't corrected in time to get people their laptops in first-come first-served order. it's a drag, but there we are. believe me -- i've complained as much or more than you have, and they still seem to be willing to help me. so don't worry about it. :-)

if it helps to pass the time, look for threads on this, or the olpcnews.com forum, where people need help with things you have experience with. the XO is just a linux box, after all -- you don't need one to answer a lot of the questions. and you can run the qemu version to answer others. as a programmer like yourself, i find it works better for me than being cranky. :-) and i've been picking up some tips along the way, as well.

paul
pgf

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:59 am

Nov 19, We are told that march is the month the rest of the deliveries will ship. Paul is right on the ball(as usual) :)

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby ajlewis2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:14 pm

I ordered a second G1G1 and am considering donating the one I was supposed to get as well as the one I gave. Would I still call the refund number?

Thanks,
Anita
ajlewis2

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 am

Hi Anita,

If I read your post correctly, you have made two donations, and have two XO's coming to you. If so, I would not recommend contacting donor services to do a donation. Instead, I would look for people here on the forums who might use them as development machines, or contact help@laptop.org, and they will help you from there.

Cheers,

Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby ajlewis2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:42 am

Infamy wrote:Hi Anita,

If I read your post correctly, you have made two donations, and have two XO's coming to you. If so, I would not recommend contacting donor services to do a donation. Instead, I would look for people here on the forums who might use them as development machines, or contact help@laptop.org, and they will help you from there.

Cheers,

Infamy

I have one machine already and someone who wants it. I have not received the other machine. I would rather not have to receive it and then mail it out again, but I don't want a refund either. I'll contact help@laptop.org.

Thanks,
Anita
ajlewis2

Postby nov 19th donor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:15 pm

completely happy but still strange! LOL

my door bell rang 30 minutes ago, and i opened the door and saw a rental truck driving away! i looked down and saw a small brown box with GREEN XO on it!! i couldn't believe my eyes!!
the last time i checked fed-ex was tuesday, and nothing showed up! i resisted checking today, i kept telling myself that it won't be here until mid march-late april... or possibly later!
so i chose not to check fed-ex today!

my daughter wanted to play a game on it, and my 3 yr old keeps saying "where's mine!!"

over all i really didn't mind the wait, just the miscommunication (even up to the end!!)

i've got to go do normal stuff now... i will have to get on later after bed time to try to figure out how to use it!

BTW, my 5 yr old figured out how to put the batterie in, and how to open it up all by herself... my SD card ran out while tring to take a video of her opening the box... i have a few poor quality photos from her "toy camera"

mel
nov 19th donor

Postby pgf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:28 pm

nov 19th donor wrote:completely happy but still strange! LOL

we don't know you very well, but if you say you're still strange, we'll take your word for it. ;-)

congrats on your new toy -- when did they ship it?

paul
pgf

Postby nov 19th donor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:52 pm

silly,
i am strange, but i was talking about the whole process of receiving my laptop!

it shipped tuesday evening, i live in OHIO and it came from chicagoland so it didn't have far to go.
i read reports that people were making deliveries with rental trucks, but i thought that Christmas = lack of trucks??

i personally have NEVER received a package from anywhere delivered from a rental truck! LOL

my husband upgraded it earlier tonight, i'm the one who has been reading up on this for 8 weeks, and my BS in computer science Hubby grabbed it as soon as he got home and started tinkering with it!
oh well, i will do some tinkering myself tomorrow night!
as i can't do anything with it while the kids are awake!

mel
nov 19th donor

Postby Infamy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:06 am

Excellent, get up to 656 right away, and Enjoy!

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby teamkitty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:13 pm

Oh, for pity's sake, you mean after waiting all this time, the units aren't shipping with the most updated OS?

TK :roll:
teamkitty

Postby nov 19th donor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:15 am

well, i am assuming that mine was of the first batch?? i don't think the second batch has arrived yet??
that is why i was so confused, most everyone got the "30-45 days till they start shipping out the new batch" message, at the end of feb... i got the same e-mail on my b-day feb 19th, and it arrived 10 days later!

it did need updated...
my daughter decided that she doesn't like it! LOL
i think when i load flash, that she can play her usually pbs kids games on it??

melissa
nov 19th donor

PreviousNext

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)