Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: Donors Who Expected an XO by Jan 15th - README!

Postby Infamy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:16 pm

kirish43,

There is a diagram we have been using (not sure if you have seen it or not). Quanta is the builder/software loader for this process. Even in your Grandfathers day, they had to rely on certain outside companies to make certain parts for whatever they were building. The relationships are probably what has changed most though, you are right.

For the few remaining problems:

1. I believe if they have called and corrected there order recently, they should be all set. So what we need to do is get the tracker backend updated.

2. Quanta is working on this now. If you follow the diagram, this gives patriot a little slack to get their orders corrected

3. Absolutely(It is out of my control, but I am quite sure they are aware of this)

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby psifry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 pm

Hoping to spread some hope, FedEx says I will be getting mine tomorrow (Feb 8th).

I was a first day "donater" and live in CA.

I also noticed that the online order tracking is flawed...using the email address or using the order number gives different results.
psifry

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 am

The tracker is still in a state of flux. There were some updates past the last major one, as they are taking this time to get things in better order.

If you haven't received an XO yet, would recommend confirming your address (ask donor services to read back your address, don't give it to them in advance), and asking if anything else is askew in your order. From here on out, we are pretty much waiting on the new shipment to arrive.

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby brisalta » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 am

Infamy I can testify that the tracker is working again at least for some people. It stopped working correctly for me a few days ago. Showing one thing if I used my email address (call donor services) another if I just used my reference number(laptop coming in Feb or March). Now it shows the Feb / March message for both. I just waited for the dust to settle. I assumed that the info for the reference number was the gold standard and they were re-synchronizing the databases, trying to clean things up. Probably would have been useful if a message to this affect had been posted. I was planning on calling if after 5 days or so from first seeing the anomaly, if it had not started behaving.
brisalta

Postby o2bparadis » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:52 am

Hello all,

I ordered my laptop on December 8, 2007. I still have not received it. Yesterday, I called to get an update. I was told that I would receive it in the March/April timeframe. I was pretty disappointed by that. I was told mine would be in the next round manufacturing. Disappointing.
--
Alain Paradis
o2bparadis

Postby pgf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 am

o2bparadis wrote:I ordered my laptop on December 8, 2007. I still have not received it. Yesterday, I called to get an update. I was told that I would receive it in the March/April timeframe. I was pretty disappointed by that. I was told mine would be in the next round manufacturing. Disappointing.

if it makes you feel any better, some of us have been waiting since November 12th. that's almost another whole month of disappointment! :-)

paul
pgf

Postby nov 19th donor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:12 pm

my tracking on laptopgiving has said
"in the ware house ready to ship ", for about 2 weeks now. fed-ex alternative shipping has showed no results as of 5 minutes ago (i check several times a day!)
i called soon after the jan 15th deadline, and they told me then that it has either already shipped, or will be shipping out in a couple of days! i called again after 7 days and they told me the same thing again.

if they would have told me that it was going to be another month or 2 that would have been better then getting our hopes up (my daughter has been watching for fed-ex to pull up every day since jan 15th, and asking me non-stop about where it is:) she is not a spoiled child just excited to get her christmas present.

my question is:
should i call donor services AGAIN? will it help? i already confirmed my address the other 2 times that i called and it was correct (no po box, normal standard address)
will e-mailing anyone be a good idea?
i am really paranoid that it will show up when i am not home, and it will get taken...

mel
nov 19th donor

Postby pxs » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:25 pm

nov 19th donor wrote:my tracking on laptopgiving has said
"in the ware house ready to ship ", for about 2 weeks now. fed-ex alternative shipping has showed no results as of 5 minutes ago (i check several times a day!)
i called soon after the jan 15th deadline, and they told me then that it has either already shipped, or will be shipping out in a couple of days! i called again after 7 days and they told me the same thing again.
mel

Mel, I'm right there with you. No address issues, called after 1/15, etc. Check out the "shipping or not?" thread for some of the speculations on what's going on.
pxs

Postby Infamy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:56 pm

nov 19th donor wrote:my tracking on laptopgiving has said

if they would have told me that it was going to be another month or 2 that would have been better then getting our hopes up (my daughter has been watching for fed-ex to pull up every day since jan 15th, and asking me non-stop about where it is:) she is not a spoiled child just excited to get her christmas present.

my question is:
should i call donor services AGAIN? will it help? i already confirmed my address the other 2 times that i called and it was correct (no po box, normal standard address)
will e-mailing anyone be a good idea?
i am really paranoid that it will show up when i am not home, and it will get taken...

mel

Mel,

Orders processed at Patriot, and sent to Brightstar(shipping). From the looks of it, your order seems fine(as they have sent it to brightstar), but due to the inventory shortage, it is likely at this point you will have a March delivery.

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby nov 19th donor » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:24 pm

infamy,
i guess that is what is confusing me (not upset)
if it was an inventory issue, i would think that i should have gotten the "waiting for inventory" noice instead of the soon to ship notice:)

my only real concern is that it will get dropped off, and stolen!
i have NOT recieved any e-mail updates since mid december saying that it will arive by jan 15th. on the 14th i started searching online, and found olpcnews, and this one... other wise i would have NO clue what was going on LOL

mel
nov 19th donor

Postby tsdguy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 pm

If your Tracking number result doesn't match your email result then there may be a database problem. You should call Donor Services. They shouldn't be busy now. Make sure your address is correct.

I would also suggest you drop a note to OLPC at help@laptop.org as they are tracking folks with problems relating to the laptopgiving.org site.
Foes: kentsin, InterNetZoo
tsdguy

Postby nov 19th donor » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 pm

tsd guy
read my original post a couple of posts up.
it tracks, and says "in the warehouse..." for the past 2+ weeks...

continuing to wait (and reading up on how to load flash, and upgrade...)
mel
nov 19th donor

Postby XOaloha » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:52 am

FINALLY got my XO--only 6 weeks after the promised Christmas delivery for a product ordered on November 12, soon after it appears on the web. Have had to make many, many phone calls to find out what happened to my order & repeatedly repeat my story again and again and again.

AFTER I had the laptop delivered, I got an e-mail from OLPC, offering a refund because they have no idea when they'll be able to deliver my laptop!

Now, I have the joy of trying to figure out how to get it to connect to the internet. So far, no luck connecting in our home & I'll try TMobile hotspots next. <sigh> It is a cute machine but not too useful with no internet.

XOaloha
XOaloha

Postby Infamy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 am

Upgrade to 656 as soon as you can.

[EDIT]

olpc-update is your friend(this will leave a backup image on your disk in case anything goes wrong)
[/EDIT]
-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby XOaloha » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Thanks, Infamy. I searched the web & got the instructions to download the new OS, downloaded it, tried to upload it on the XO. It didn't work the two times I tried it so I downloaded the OS again & tried to upload it again. Guess third time is a charm!

Today, I have been able to connect to other people's bandwidth, but not so far to any Tmobile ones. Will eventually try harder but am thrilled that I was able to get the OS updated without tech help from my absent techies (they're both out of state as I write this).

YIPPEE! My daughter thinks the XO is very cute & thinks she may "borrow it" to take to her college classes with her. The keyboard is a bit small, but fortunately she has skinny fingers, as I do too.

Will try tomorrow to see whether I can get the Tmobile connection, but otherwise, I don't mind when there is bandwidth I can borrow that isn't secured.
Thanks again!
XOaloha

PreviousNext

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)