latest update from OLPC

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

latest update from OLPC

Postby walter » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:06 pm

G1G1: During the reconciliation process of the "get" laptops shipped during Give One Get One, a number of unfulfilled order records were uncovered. The OLPC team has been working hard with our partners to resolve all open issues. We expect another ~5000 XO laptops will be shipped on Monday. The remaining orders pose an extra challenge as they either have incomplete or no shipping and contact information. If you have not yet received your XO laptop, you should be getting an individualized email that addresses your specific situation. If you are scheduled to receive your laptop next week, you will also be getting a follow-up email with tracking information. We'll be adding additional phone lines and shifting agents to reduce wait times. A further reconciliation of the data will be conducted this week, although hopeful, we can anticipate additional incomplete orders. Our apologies for these delays.
Last edited by walter on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walter
Support Team

Postby Hobart » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Walter,
Thanks for the update!
G1G1 ordered at 6PM MST day 1, had to change address, FedEx delivered 2008-03-12
G1G1 ordered on December 12th, FedEx Ground delivered 2008-01-03
G1G1 ordered day 1, shipped to PO box via USPS, delivered 2008-02-08
Hobart

update woes

Postby marsha » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks for the update. I have been waiting (pretty) patiently and am not too torqued by the delays, given the novelty and overarching benefit of this program.
However, not having received any response at all, I started to get a little spooked by the forum chat. Last week I got through to the help desk, got my confirmation number, and checked that all the shipping info was fine. My laptop simply had not yet been sent. Oh, I donated on Dec.8 and no changes were needed, no PO box, etc.
Now I read in this post that there are problems with the 5000 outstanding orders. I have received no email and am wondering if I am some sort of outlier. Am I alone?
marsha

Postby CanuckinUS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm

It would probably be a good PR move for the actual number of laptops shipped on Jan. 21 to be posted back to this forum. If the number is close to 5000, it would suggest that OLPC is finally getting a handle on the issue. Even if the numbers isn't close to their projection, and they own up to the problem, it would be an increased level of communication (from the historical blackout), and would help build confidence that there is focus on the problem.

(I still haven't found either of my orders via the Fedex Alt. Ref tracking capability, but I still am hoping they shipped today).
G1G1D1 (arrived after 75 days) and G1G1D-Last (still waiting.....)
CanuckinUS

Re: latest update from OLPC

Postby HoboPrimate » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:05 am

[EDIT]
Last edited by HoboPrimate on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoboPrimate

Postby HoboPrimate » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:08 am

This the G1G1 sub-forum, so I guess I'm being off-topic. Sorry about that, didn't notice it!
HoboPrimate

Postby moodyblues4me » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Of the number of orders that mysteriously were found, how many confirmations were sent? I ordered day 1 and never received a confirmation number and my credit card was never billed... like I never existed. I have called, spoke to a nice person who stated that they would get back to me within 10 days... 1 month and still counting. I was hoping to get my students involved with this (higher ed) but with nothing to show, it's pretty hard to do anything. :?:
moodyblues4me

Postby dwa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:22 pm

moodyblues4me wrote:Of the number of orders that mysteriously were found, how many confirmations were sent? I ordered day 1 and never received a confirmation number and my credit card was never billed... like I never existed. I have called, spoke to a nice person who stated that they would get back to me within 10 days... 1 month and still counting. I was hoping to get my students involved with this (higher ed) but with nothing to show, it's pretty hard to do anything. :?:

hi moody,

how did you order? via phone or online via paypal?
dwa
Support Team

Postby pgf » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm

moodyblues4me wrote:I ordered day 1 and never received a confirmation number and my credit card was never billed... like I never existed. I have called, spoke to a nice person who stated that they would get back to me within 10 days... 1 month and still counting.

why are you still waiting? call again. isn't the extra 20 days wait an indication that something's wrong, and they're not going to call? if they don't have a record of you, they may never call, no matter how nice the person was on the phone.
pgf

Postby hkrieger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Is there any estimate on the shipping date for the replacement of the computers sent back to Brightstar on an RMA due to a faulty keyboard?
hkrieger

Postby matt91 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:51 am

hkrieger wrote:Is there any estimate on the shipping date for the replacement of the computers sent back to Brightstar on an RMA due to a faulty keyboard?

There is a thread here (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=150844) that has some info. A few of us are starting to get ours (mine came last night by Budget rental truck - gotta love Fedex Home delivery!)

Note that you can search fedex (alternate reference number tracking) for your RMA number to see if you can get a tracking number.

Matt
matt91

Postby matthewn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:17 pm

I don't think walter's update at the top of this thread any longer matches reality for anyone still waiting for their XO to arrive. I think we need a new update.

I just got off the phone with a Brightstar representative. She confirmed (as three others have over the last couple of weeks) that my shipping address is all in order; at this point, she told me, a laptop will ship as soon as they have one for me. And when pressed, she said that might not be UNTIL LATE FEBRUARY.
matthewn

Postby hkrieger » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:42 pm

I returned an xo on a RMA on Jan. 10, and received a new one back today, Jan.30.
hkrieger

Postby pippol » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:31 pm

matthewn wrote:I don't think walter's update at the top of this thread any longer matches reality for anyone still waiting for their XO to arrive. I think we need a new update.

I just got off the phone with a Brightstar representative. She confirmed (as three others have over the last couple of weeks) that my shipping address is all in order; at this point, she told me, a laptop will ship as soon as they have one for me. And when pressed, she said that might not be UNTIL LATE FEBRUARY.

I have braved yet another call to 201-7144.
The young lady told me that "unfortunately they ran out of inventory".
They expect (hope?) to have another shipment around mid-march (?!).
She would not know/say how many they may get, nor how many shipments are still in the queue. Fortunately, and this was a change w.r.t. previous communications, she seemed to have positive news on the shipping address. Too bad it's too late.

Just for the record, I ordered it at 9am of the first day!
Also, I was curious to check with other people, if they also did not get any email that day with the order number!
Was it a common glitch, or it just hit me. I am not sure of the relevance of it because all problems with my order seem to have to do with shipping address.

Anyhow, I will do some yoga relaxation to extend my patience for another month+, hoping that in march they will actually ship!

Can anybody confirm "officially" that shipments will proceed prioritized on original order date?

Thanks a lot
-GF
pippol

Postby Infamy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:36 pm

Pippol,

Yes, D1 Donors are being prioritized. I responded to you in the other thread if that helps too.

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Next

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)