latest update from OLPC

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: latest update from OLPC

Postby Infamy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:25 pm

jayres wrote:to Infamy

you said:
"'Yes, D1 Donors are being prioritized. I responded to you in the other thread if that helps too."

and yet, I ordered the first day and I just received a notification (Feb.,2,2008)that because of overwhelming response, my order would be delayed another 45 days ...that is 6-1/2 weeks. I also have heard shipments are being made to Canada.

How can you say that D1 donors are being prioritized? it is simply not true.
maybe I misunderstood, you ment they are being given priority...the very lowest priority possible.

I would not want my children learning honesty from you!

Jayres,

There is a lot you are not aware of that is going on(which is quite plain from your post). While the priority has been given to orders placed the earliest, not every last order was may be included in that, as not every last order may be correct at this point.

While I understand your frustration, consider the words you choose more carefully in the future...particularly when you direct them at other people.

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby pxs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Infamy, in your response to jayres you encouraged / threatened that they use words more considerately.

A) You've received your XO. You don't actually understand how frustrating it is to be mistreated like we have.
B) Your username is Infamy, and yet you don't like strongly worded messages? Was the name "Delicate Flower" already registered?
C) What did jayres do that warranted your response? You're supposed to be part of the public face of a charity that's trying to improve the world, and you're scolding your donors. All you managed to do was validate jayres' observations, and make OLPC look even worse.
pxs

Postby Infamy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 pm

pxs,

A) I do. I went through that entire process, dealt with erroneous trackers, 7-10 day promises from D_S, the Jan 15th emails, and a PO Box Correction(several time corrected I might add). Furthermore, I deal with cases like these everyday, learning more and more about what breaks and how, and more importantly, how to fix it. If anything, I might have a more circumspect view of the whole process, than a donor who might accuse me or others of lying.

B) I do not enjoy being called a liar when my goal is to get you guys accurate info ASAP(which I _thought_ people might enjoy). Would you?

C) I would hope that regardless of our cause or goal, we would strive to not insult one another. Again, fingering people as liars(or anything else) is not acceptable, regardless of whether it is me or anyone else. He would have recieved the same message from me if he called you a liar(or anything else). Note as well that I did not specify that he/she is not to call me a liar, I did say that he/she should be careful in what he/she says to others.

Is this fair enough?

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby pxs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Infamy,

When you say be careful, and you're involved in the order resolution process, what I hear is "be careful or you'll never get your order". It wouldn't take you much to get an idea of which posters are associated with which orders, given your access to all sorts of data. And you seem touchy, so who knows how you'll react to our comments?

Also, if jayres had ripped on me, I wouldn't need your protection. I'm an adult, and I've been on the Internet before (like *all* of the G1G0), so I know what a forum is about. The only thing I need from OLPC personnel is some professionalism (unlike the fiasco called G1G1).

Maybe you could cut back on the forum activity and get more orders out.
pxs

Postby Infamy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:48 pm

pxs,

Please understand that I would never imply this. Nor do I press the button that make orders ship. My goal is to make sure every that ordered gets their XO. That is what drives me, and that is what I am here to achieve. I am trying to be proactive, not touchy. Misinformation is dangerous, and doesn't help anyone.

As far as protection, it isn't really about you specifically. It is more about fostering an environment where the community can find success. Light-hearted jawing and serious debate are absolutely encouraged. However, forums can/do get pretty nasty, and we would rather not go there.

I hope this helps give some insight as to my response.

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby pxs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Infamy,

Fair enough. I'll move on.
pxs

Postby zz9 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:25 pm

IMO Infamy is one of the most helpful people I have yet to encounter in this process. He is trying to keep this forum on track, which can't be easy hehe... The only thing I would say is just keep it non-personal, the people posting here have no direct power to make things happen from my understanding. They can point out problems, and try to prioritize stuff, but they are working with the same broken system we are.
zz9

Postby leoyw » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:00 pm

zz9 wrote:IMO Infamy is one of the most helpful people I have yet to encounter in this process. He is trying to keep this forum on track, which can't be easy hehe... The only thing I would say is just keep it non-personal, the people posting here have no direct power to make things happen from my understanding. They can point out problems, and try to prioritize stuff, but they are working with the same broken system we are.

I agree, though I am now as confused as ever, the phone people keep telling me any day now (just call today) I got email from help say maybe mid march or maybe sooner. another number told me in 7 to 10 business day I should get an email :-), the tracking site just said in the ware house or call the number ..
Why bother to have tracking site if it is broken :mrgreen:

Anyhow can any volunteer in this board explain, i am not first day donor i am in nov 19, 2007 which is early enough, and I never have any address problems (never have to correct, and when I asked them to repeat my address they have it correct in the database). I do know a friend of mine who ordered around november 20 or so (after my order) got their laptop sometimes in january. I said we will be lucky we got it before summer true or not --- comment please

thanks
Leo
leoyw

Postby psifry » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:34 pm

If FedEx is right I should be getting mine tomorrow (Feb 8th). :lol:
I ordered first day.

Scrambled to come up with a different Xmas gift for my nephew when it didn't arrive the first time.

Sat patiently...emailed my address correction within hours of receiving it. Called a week later to confirm things after the website proved to be "uninformative" (to put it nicely).

Waited for confirmation emails or updates from OLPC. Since I got the other emails they shouldn't be in my junk/spam folder. But nothing from OLPC.

Finally the order number provided way back when linked me a FedEx tracking number. This showed me it shipped on the 4th.

Hope this spreads some hope to the remaining people that ordered and haven't received anything yet.
psifry

Postby Infamy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:48 am

Leo,

The last of the inventory is trickling out, so chances are getting slimmer and slimmer that you will get a laptop in 7-10. Not that it can't happen, but it is pretty slim chance at this point. I would expect a march delivery, and ensure your address/order is in good shape. That is about as clear cut as I can make it without going out on a limb :)

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby mvalent » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 am

I participated to G1G1, the first week of the action in November 2007.
In January the XO was send to a wrong address so Fedex went back with it (actually it looks OLPC did some sort of mixing between the billing address and the delivery address).
When I saw that, I contacted OLCP (so many times I cannot count !!!) by email and by phone. Sometimes they respond, sometimes not. Sometimes the response is stupid and useless sometimes I get the information that the problem will be solved.
But guess what ? We are April 4th and I am still waiting for the XO !
Since English is not my language I feel a little difficult to explain to those people. Also sometimes I feel they don't understand anything or they are ready to say anything to please me.
Now I don't know what to do. I am tired of all this. If you have an advice, you are welcome. Please help if you can.
-marc-
mvalent

Postby backbyter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:18 am

marc---

Hang in there. Your experience with this program is very similar to mine.
I ordered the first day of the program, in January the XO was sent to the wrong address also, approximately 2,600 miles away from my home. I've also called and sent email numerous times.

I donated/ordered because I thought this was a good cause. I still think it is a good cause, and even after having the less than spectacular results that we've had, I would do it again. I'd like to have the XO, it was supposed to be a present for the grandkids but that occasion is 3+ months in the past.

On the bright side :roll: for you: There's at least 1 person who's been waiting longer than you.

--mike
backbyter

Postby ColonelPanik » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:46 pm

Got em, looked at them and sent them on to my two grand kids.
I want one! Grand kids love em!

We lived 20+years in the Third-World, this project is important.
Please keep going.

The Colonel salutes you /°_°
ColonelPanik

Postby mvalent » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:13 am

Hi Mike !
I understand what you mean but those people at olpc service are not capable of doing anything, do you really think olpc is capable of doing something in the third world countries ? I am not sure about it. And my experience shows "no".
I am still waiting for the XO. Again I received several email from their service / help services. They know my XO is there, but no one is capable of sending it to the post-office for postage.
I have some experience of developing countries too and I never saw such a BAD situation. Should we start sending money to the USA to help them develop ?
mvalent

Postby doug » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 pm

mvalent wrote: Should we start sending money to the USA to help them develop ?

You must be Canadian since it would seem a strange comment for a US citizen. As someone who has shipped a few things US->CA, it's not as 'slam-dunk' as it is shipping US-US. And there has been alot of changes inside the OLPC project lately which also adds to issues if you still have not received your G1G1 XO.

BTW, sorry to hear you've not received yours yet as we have had some fun showing it off at various gatherings. It gets used as a quick web lookup tool on the coffee table at home along with me testing it for input to the XO dev people. Hopefully you'll be getting yours soon and it works as expected.
doug

PreviousNext

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)