latest update from OLPC

Discuss your experiences with purchasing the XO though the G1G1 program here. First impressions or whatever else is important to you. Mention it here!

Re: latest update from OLPC

Postby jimofoz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Yippee! My wife just called me and said my little green guy has been left on the front porch! My order was placed Nov 12 -, 7000009###.

Rats, now I have to work another 5 hours before I can go home and play.
jimofoz

Postby Infamy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:19 pm

Hahaha, excellent :)

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby leoyw » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:25 pm

jimofoz wrote:Yippee! My wife just called me and said my little green guy has been left on the front porch! My order was placed Nov 12 -, 7000009###.

Rats, now I have to work another 5 hours before I can go home and play.

Well at least somebody getting theirs , Mine 7000032###, looks like may have to wait another 2 months :mrgreen:
leoyw

Postby NoXOForYou! » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:18 pm

My confirmation# is 70000065xx. And it's still in the infamous "in our shipping queue" status.

So if your number is in the 100s or the 70,000s, there's really no telling when you're going to get it.
NoXOForYou!

Postby vince » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:52 pm

hkrieger wrote:Is there any estimate on the shipping date for the replacement of the computers sent back to Brightstar on an RMA due to a faulty keyboard?

Got mine near Seattle yesterday 21 days after they would have received it back at Brightstar. That's good.

Got no email through the whole process leading me to know where my RMA was, whether it was going to be approved, nor when I should have expected it returned. That's bad.

Got a 'different' email from OLPC 'after' my XO was back in my hands with (a) my name wrong, so I have no clue if somebody else is out there waiting for feedback that isn't coming. That's bad.

As I said via email, I can give'em style points for at least trying, but given all the well-earned bad will out there trying isn't good enough any more probably. Performing is the only thing that overcomes this kind of systematic train wreck from a customer services perspective.
G2G1R1W1
(gave 2-got 1-RMA'd 1successfully - waiting for 1)
vince

Postby Infamy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:33 am

Vince,

Could you send a message to help@laptop.org so that we could look into this? We are looking at why messages aren't getting through, and I think your case could help. Send it to the attention of Culseg if you could.

Thanks,

Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby moodyblues4me » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:26 pm

dwa wrote:
moodyblues4me wrote:Of the number of orders that mysteriously were found, how many confirmations were sent? I ordered day 1 and never received a confirmation number and my credit card was never billed... like I never existed. I have called, spoke to a nice person who stated that they would get back to me within 10 days... 1 month and still counting. I was hoping to get my students involved with this (higher ed) but with nothing to show, it's pretty hard to do anything. :?:

hi moody,

how did you order? via phone or online via paypal?

Online.. no record of Paypal being charged...
moodyblues4me

Postby moodyblues4me » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:28 pm

pgf wrote:
moodyblues4me wrote:I ordered day 1 and never received a confirmation number and my credit card was never billed... like I never existed. I have called, spoke to a nice person who stated that they would get back to me within 10 days... 1 month and still counting.

why are you still waiting? call again. isn't the extra 20 days wait an indication that something's wrong, and they're not going to call? if they don't have a record of you, they may never call, no matter how nice the person was on the phone.

If they never call, their loss... I'm sure there are several here that are part of the organization that could contact me.
moodyblues4me

Postby pgf » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:35 pm

moodyblues4me wrote:
pgf wrote:why are you still waiting? call again. isn't the extra 20 days wait an indication that something's wrong, and they're not going to call? if they don't have a record of you, they may never call, no matter how nice the person was on the phone.

If they never call, their loss... I'm sure there are several here that are part of the organization that could contact me.

oh, sure. i was assuming you wanted the laptop. ;-)
pgf

Postby Infamy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm

moodyblues4me wrote:
pgf wrote:
moodyblues4me wrote:I ordered day 1 and never received a confirmation number and my credit card was never billed... like I never existed. I have called, spoke to a nice person who stated that they would get back to me within 10 days... 1 month and still counting.

why are you still waiting? call again. isn't the extra 20 days wait an indication that something's wrong, and they're not going to call? if they don't have a record of you, they may never call, no matter how nice the person was on the phone.

Moody, strange as it may sound, the people who are calling you back don't have the same interests as OLPC. Of course OLPC would like your donation, it is what keeps them afloat. If you are still interested in donating, send us an email at help@laptop.org and we can try and work this through. Sorry about that!

-Infamy
Infamy
Support Team

Postby moodyblues4me » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 am

email sent... we will see ;(
moodyblues4me

Postby jayres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 pm

Feb. 5 2008
On the jubject of 'First come first served' I ordered the first day and i just I received this note from olpc:

"Please accept my apologies for the delay in receiving your XO laptop. Give One Get One was such a phenomenal success that we over-taxed our order processing and payment systems. Demand exceeded supply.
Additional XO laptops are being built now and will be delivered in 45 to 60 days. Your laptop is in the queue for delivery at that time."

Would you want your children to learn honesty from these folks?

I have contributed $1600 to them. It was my plan to get 4 computers and contribute $800. That was what I was told would happen. At this time I wonder if I will ever get anything.
jayres

Postby jayres » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:01 pm

to Infamy

you said:
"'Yes, D1 Donors are being prioritized. I responded to you in the other thread if that helps too."

and yet, I ordered the first day and I just received a notification (Feb.,2,2008)that because of overwhelming response, my order would be delayed another 45 days ...that is 6-1/2 weeks. I also have heard shipments are being made to Canada.

How can you say that D1 donors are being prioritized? it is simply not true.
maybe I misunderstood, you ment they are being given priority...the very lowest priority possible.

I would not want my children learning honesty from you!
jayres

Postby Pecisk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:59 pm

jayres wrote:to Infamy

you said:
"'Yes, D1 Donors are being prioritized. I responded to you in the other thread if that helps too."

and yet, I ordered the first day and I just received a notification (Feb.,2,2008)that because of overwhelming response, my order would be delayed another 45 days ...that is 6-1/2 weeks. I also have heard shipments are being made to Canada.

How can you say that D1 donors are being prioritized? it is simply not true.
maybe I misunderstood, you ment they are being given priority...the very lowest priority possible.

I would not want my children learning honesty from you!

Why do you think Infamy lied? He didn't actually tell you when prioritization happened. As far as I have heard, D1 donor shipments are very much plagued due of db glitch, which got lot of orders lost. I know, it doesn't say anything nice about OLPC and Patriot, but it is kinda different perspective.

But your options on this are open, if you don't believe in OLPC any more, call for refund. Just I think laptops will be shipped anyway.

Just so huge delay...sucks.

p.s. offtopic, but waiting already 2 months for important shipment from UK. No shippers fault, because when it's in postal system, it is out of their reach, and if someone stole it, well, bad luck (not such nice posibility to track it down as with Fedex). Still hurts, because it was Christmas present for myself.

Just my two cents,
Peter.
Pecisk

Postby Steve Holton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:24 pm

jayres wrote:How can you say that D1 donors are being prioritized?

Orders are being prioritized (it is a legal requirement for suppliers to do so) but that doesn't mean every Day 1 6:05 AM order (like mine) has to be handled before the 6:10 AM orders.

When there is a problem with a particular order, it goes to exception processing and the other orders (even the ones which came in later) are processed.

When there are large numbers of orders in exception processing, and a slow process ro resolve them, we have the (unfortunate and frustrating) situation where some orders which arrived very late but went through without a hitch will be processed before other orders which arrived early but spent considerable time unresolved.
Steve Holton http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support
Got an XO? Get on the map: http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm
Steve Holton
Support Team

PreviousNext

Return to Give One, Get One ( 2007-2008)