Where is there an Official OLPC forum?

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Where is there an Official OLPC forum?

Postby Charbax » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:40 am

Hello! Nice to find this forum on google when I search for OLPC forum!

I think, ultimately, MIT should host a forum themselves officially for the OLPC project. Without advertising, with contiuous status report, and invitations to developpers for joining in on the development of some of the open-source software and usb-accessories..

I also find some interesting links and articles at http://www.oneperchild.org/home/ .. are those just links to articles or also opinions from the webmaster of oneperchild.org?

I think it is great that Negroponte is revolutionizing the internet through a new laptop for the children in developping countries. I think this laptop will be usefull not only for them, but also for the adults in developping world and very fast it will spread to the developped world also. Nobody needs 3ghz noisy and big computers. Only profetionnals need such epensive power stations. The general public of the world needs just a terminal with multimedia power. And making it open-source and non-profit is evidently the way to do it. The world will profit.
Charbax

OLPC is setting up the World for the XXI Century.

Postby dagoflores » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:15 am

The impact of the Green PC in Mankind will be larger than impact of cars, TV, flight, penicillin or whatever can you think of... Society will never be the same, for better or worse, after the Green PC, and as the bill says "IN GOD WE TRUST"

Basically Negroponte is ready for the Economics & Peace Nobel Prize.

The fact that this Forum exists, is a good sign of the openess of OLPC to discuss it´s plans and ideas; however communication is a matter of two parties, and I hope OLPC experts, identify themselves and post replies and opinions about our posts. as all important organizations should do at their Internet Forums (or Forae?).
Green PC´s can improve Education, Welfare, Health & Economics, of Children, Adults, Elders, & Disabled.
dagoflores

Postby Charbax » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:35 am

yes, though. This forum is well listed on google when someone searches "OLPC forum" though it's full of advertising, and it is not official..

So I'd rather see more effort on the official website so that any effort from the OLPC team to communicate the status of their project with the public, that is is posted at a place that is official..

Strangely the link to the wiki has disapeared from the official page.. I think it is something like this: http://pedia.media.mit.edu/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child

I am looking forward to the time when the OLPC team will post frequent video updates so everyone can see how far they are with their project. This should be as open as possible so as many people get interested in this project, the more governments will want to order their millions of units, the more philantropic organisations like Google or other will invest some billions in producing even more laptops and getting even more support locally to install the satellite internet connections where needed, the solar energy panels where needed, add refrigirator, water pump with the solar energy where needed, show the teachers some tricks of how to use those laptops, and all things that need to be taken care of in the right way to make sure this project is initiated the best way possible.
Charbax

Hooray!

Postby nanokiwi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:45 pm

great to have a forum for such an important project
though i prefer boards with just one room where
topics that are posted on go to the top

its much easier to navigate until membership is in the hundreds

nanokiwi

Where are the devs?

Postby castor16 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 am

I have a feeling this forum has rather few people directly involved in the OLPC project. I suppose they must be very busy during this current launch phase.

To everybody who participated in this project: Congratulations! Keep up the good work! I strongly support your efforts.

We (users) do look forward to have bits of your wisdom to answer some of the questions we have.

All the best!
castor16

Postby Fricka » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:29 am

The official forums aren't up yet, they said they would be up after December 31st but I still haven't heard about them.

The forums for OLPCNews (sorry I can't type a link yet but you can google it), seem to have the most members from what I've seen so far and include some folks who volunteer for OLPC.

There is also an IRC channel and mail lists that have been around a long time.
Fricka

Postby Garold » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:18 am

I'm pretty sure these are the official forums:
http://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/

They're really poorly advertised around the site, though.
Garold

Postby peter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 pm

There are new developments between OLPChelp.org and olpc.osuosl.org. [url="http://www.olpchelp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227"]Please take a look at this thread[/url].
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Re: Where is there an Official OLPC forum?

Postby mburns » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:32 pm

mburns
Support Team

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback