Basic Info Section

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Basic Info Section

Postby Torokun » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:03 am

I would love to see more of Ste-By-Step Tutorial section set up.

Because I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything programming/coding related issues, it would be great to have some walkthrough based information.

I am a member of several different tech heavy forums. But, usually information for people who are not familiar with those particular platform is non-existing. And all the basic information are lost all through out the threads and it is impossible to back track and look for answers to particular issue.

I think OLPC would be a best candidate to have section in the forum to have very basic step-by-step for people like myself since the spirit of this hardware was built on reaching out to kids who have no idea about computers whatsoever.
Torokun

tutorials and FAQs belong on a wiki

Postby skierpage » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Torokun;117 wrote:I would love to see more of Ste-By-Step Tutorial section set up.

And all the basic information are lost all through out the threads and it is impossible to back track and look for answers to particular issue.

Right, that's why forums suck for tutorials, FAQs, and structured information sharing. They're only good at question+reply and disorganized conversations[**]. Instead, experts should add to tutorial pages on wiki.laptop.org. If a page there doesn't make sense, add your comments and questions to its Talk page (click the "Discussion" tab, click "+"). Eventually someone will update the wiki page with improved information, maybe that person will be you!

[**] And most software developers, including it seems the OLPC team, prefer IRC for disorganized conversations and mailing lists for question+reply. Forums FTL :rolleyes:
skierpage

Step-by-Step would be good

Postby BoBraxton » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Yes, I am ready for that. We should be setting up four (G1 G1) shortly (in days)
BoBraxton

Postby peter » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:24 am

You are right that forums aren't suited for documentation, but Mediawiki can be set up to link with the vBulletin software used for the forum.

The question is whether duplicating the efforts of the the laptop wiki is worthwhile. They will always be more up to date, and have more relevant topics to end users, or will they?

Any suggestions on how a wiki here could augment wikis in other places without causing duplication?
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback