Add RSS

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Add RSS

Postby ajlewis2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:29 am

ajlewis2

Re: Add RSS

Postby rharrison » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:56 am

I'd like to second this request. The RSS feeds on the OLPC News Forums have really helped me stay up to date with the postings there. I'd love to be able to keep track of things here the same way.
rharrison

Postby mburns » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 pm

RSS is planned to be added in the next day or so. I want that as much as you do. :)

I did a quick attempt last night, but installing extensions onto a live forum is not a good idea. Peter and I are going to setup a test forum, get the feeds working, and then swap it in when its ready. As we should do for all future extension (or in phpbb lingo, "MODs") installation.

Other modules for phpbb3 that you all would like to see installed (assuming they are functional, etc) can be voted on, per the forum rules. Sound good?

viewtopic.php?f=1246&t=150388

Cheers!
mburns
Support Team

Postby rwhe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 am

mburns wrote:RSS is planned to be added in the next day or so. I want that as much as you do. :)

I am really looking forward to having RSS back. Thanks for making this a priority.

Ron Hale-Evans
rwhe

Postby ajlewis2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 am

mburns wrote:RSS is planned to be added in the next day or so. I want that as much as you do. :)

Good to hear! Would you announce it on the mailing list when it is in place, because my reading of this board is not too frequent. Thanks.

Anita
ajlewis2

Postby mburns » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:53 am

first attempt didnt work ( yay for test servers) but fixing it shouldn't be too hard. Once it works we'll do a brief downtime and sync files over. Couple more evenings of tweaking away. I'll do a big announce when we deploy it. Thanks for being patient!
mburns
Support Team

Postby rwhe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:09 am

[edit to remove stupid question]

Thanks for continuing to work on this.

Ron Hale-Evans
rwhe

Postby mburns » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:58 pm

For those following along, let me push back the RSS deployment a bit further, but its worth it.

My goal is to launch a mildly updated (with RSS feeds) website this weekend. This will, if all goes well, correspond with a third-party OLPC forum merge. Launching these two pending changes will just mean less downtime and juggling with the site, which is why I would like to do it.

Don't worry, this merge one will be painless. We're not changing forum software, we're not doing anything tricky, we're only importing with a supported path (phpbb into phpbb), and we have a live test forum that will get the complete approval of the 3 involved admins before it gets pushed onto the 'live' forum during scheduled maintenance.

Sorry to bring bad news, but at the same time, this weekends upgrade should be more than worth it.
mburns
Support Team

Postby mburns » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:08 am

Its ready to go. Will announce the maintenance time tomorrow to install it. woot.
mburns
Support Team

Postby mburns » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 am

So here is the funny thing. The first RSS mod didn't work(confusing, cumbersome and error-prone configuration) , the second RSS mod, the one that is currently installed here, only offers a single site-wide feed: lame! The third RSS mod is installed on the dev site, but there are open bugs that are causing problems. I've reported them and the dev will be pushing towards a new release soon.
mburns
Support Team

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback