Happy With Current Heading Names?

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Heading names?

Confusing
100%
Hate Them
No votes
Love them
No votes
Keep Them
No votes
Keep them, but add new ones
No votes
Don't care
No votes
Other - please explain
No votes

Total votes : 4

Happy With Current Heading Names?

Postby Moto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:05 am

Please vote.

What I'm talking about is headings like these:

Chit Chat
Give 1 Get 1
It's Not Working
Activities

Please discuss your answers too.
Suggest new heading names.

Let's make this place easy, user-friendly, and lively.
Moto

Re: Happy With Current Heading Names?

Postby Moto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:51 am

Alright, I'll start.

I chose confusing.

If I'm having trouble with getting youtube video's to play, downloading a FLASH player, or just connecting to the internet I'm not sure where I'd look or where I'd post my question to hopefully get the best results.

Would I go to "It's not working", "Tips & Tricks", or "Activities"?

What I'd like to see is major heading titles like:

Hardware issues
Software Issues
Internet Issues
Operating System Issues

Things like that.
Last edited by Moto on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moto

Postby rharrison » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:02 am

Moto wrote:What I'd like to see is major heading titles like:

Hardware issues
Software Issues
Internet Issues
Operating System Issues

Things like that.

+1
rharrison

Postby peter » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:11 pm

We tried to reduce the number of headings and use names that would encourage non techies and persons for whom English is a second language would post. We thought that a majority of members would eventually meet these criteria. Many people don't know if it is a hardware, software or operating system issue and we wanted to make it simple for them. That's why we chose "it's not working" as a name.

Sub forums for these categories (hardware, software, etc) would be a good idea, but at the heart of it all, it really isn't working.

We're working on a voting methodology to do major changes in the forum, but in the next week or two I don't see why we couldn't make an exception to get some of these things corrected quickly.
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby Moto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:56 pm

I understand your thought process and it makes sense.

I wonder if the "It's not working" could then be broken down into sub-sections that might cover both bases.

Searching through a huge forum for answers to already asked questions might become too painfull over time.

At least with sub-sections the searching could be more user friendly.

I do not always think about non-English speaking members.

However...at the moment, 100% of three members find the current headings a bit confusing.
Moto

Postby mburns » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:08 pm

So we are trying the practical approach and making some logical decisions beyond the scope of a formal vote, if only because the bureaucracy of a new site is a bit limiting.

Peter and I did a first stab at a better layout, how do you all like it? We now have a "It's not working" category, with 4 niche sections (Networking, Hardware, Activities, Operating System), 1 "Tips, Tricks & Tutorials" guide section and 1 catch-all "General" section.

We also tweaked the general discussion forums. Chit chat is now Open Discussion, and the category is a more general People & Project.

Eventually, splintering sections off seem great. We have 1 Teachers, Student & Education, because we've not had a groundswell of educational posts, but I would like to see (as was mentioned to me today) a Constructionism forum and other group-specific sub-forums for local area organization. Maybe this is a problem of "if you create it, the posts will come" but I don't want to create too much too fast and have a wasteland of near-empty forums give people a bad impression.

Thoughts on the changes?
mburns
Support Team

Postby Moto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:28 pm

I like it....seems to cover things quite well.

Nice work. Quick too. :lol:
Moto

Postby HoboPrimate » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:05 am

I voted "Confusing", but I don't know, let me use if for a week and I'll have a more strong opinion (my initial impression was that they weren't very clear, but I didn't thought of the possibility of people coming to the forum having english as their 2nd language).
HoboPrimate

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback