missing icon (?) when G1G1 has new messages

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

missing icon (?) when G1G1 has new messages

Postby pgf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:53 pm

not sure what's going on, but on the "Board index" page, if "Give 1 Get 1" has new messages, instead of getting a red version of its icon, it gets nothing at all. if you go in, read the messages, and come back, it again has an icon (different than all the others -- not sure what it represents, because i can't find a key to what they mean) in black. when messages arrive, it disappears again, instead of turning red.

paul
pgf

Re: missing icon (?) when G1G1 has new messages

Postby mburns » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Hrm, can't seem to duplicate this myself. It correctly shows the two pictures, respectively.

styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_read_subforum.gif
styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread_subforum.gif

A good forum logout/close browser might well be in order. If it is trying to load some corrupted cached image or some silly thing, that would kick it back into gear.

When you get non-loading images, or odd ones, could you do me a favor and try and get the name of the image that isn't loading? In many browsers that is just a right-click and "view background image"? Knowing which file is being loaded incorrectly will help me track this down.
mburns
Support Team

Postby pgf » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 am

yup -- i can try and get the image name. it's not happening tonight on my home linux-based firefox. i'll see if it's still happening on monday at my XP-based firefox.

paul
pgf

Postby pgf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:58 pm

okay -- i'm back at work, running firefox 2.0.0.12 on XP.

the G1G1 icon is missing from my "Board index" screen.

right clicking gives a Not Found page, with this message:

Firefox can't find the file at /styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread_subforum.gif.

the full url in the location bar is:
Code: Select all
http://en.forum.laptop.org/styles/prosilver/imageset/forum_unread_subforum.gif

paul
pgf

Postby mburns » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 pm

The "forum UNread with subforum" image is: Image

The "forum READ with subforum" image is: Image

The above images (forum_unread_subforum.gif and forum_read_subforum.gif) both load fine for me on a couple different machines. Permission and ownership are all right. Not sure what the problem could be. The generic clear your cache/session date, reboot your machine and throw salt over your shoulder is all I've got off the top of my head. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?
mburns
Support Team

Postby pgf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:23 pm

mburns wrote:The "forum UNread with subforum" image is: Image

The "forum READ with subforum" image is: Image

The above images (forum_unread_subforum.gif and forum_read_subforum.gif) both load fine for me on a couple different machines. Permission and ownership are all right. Not sure what the problem could be. The generic clear your cache/session date, reboot your machine and throw salt over your shoulder is all I've got off the top of my head. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

of course, the "UNread" image doesn't show up for me in your post, either. :-)

no big deal. i'm sure if i did some of the things you suggest, the problem would disappear. i'm
reluctant to clear my cache just for this, though. and i don't have any salt with me today.

thanks for looking at it -- i only reported it in the first place in case it was a more widespread issue.

paul
pgf

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback