Getting started

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Getting started

Postby rosewes » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:34 am

I am part of a church group which has made contact with a church in Ghana. The ccoperation with the Church was initiated by raising money to put in a well. Since then, the group has made several visits to the village working with the school and the church itself. My question is, can the computers be purchased by our group and brought to the existing project which the group is sponsoring in the Ghanian village? If so, what is the cost?
rosewes

Re: Getting started

Postby ektoric » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Rosewes,

That's a great thought! Unfortunately, the cost is going to be extremely high because the XOs aren't made in small lots. Your options on getting some at this point in time would be to either make a large lot purchase from OLPC, or ebay individual ones until you've gathered enough.

After the economic equation comes the infrastructure one. Do they have electrical power available to charge the XOs and run the school server? Do they have internet connectivity to link the school server?

The technical challenge of installing maybe the simplest step, but maintaining a school server may require someone who's is not shy around technology there.
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Getting started

Postby rosewes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:59 pm

Ektoric,
Thank you for your reply.

What determines the production of a lot? OLPC only makes to order? How do I communicate directly with OLPC? I seem to go around and around finding out how to work with the organization.

As far as infrastructure, there is electricity at the site. The government is in the process of laying the cables for internet connections. My thought process was not going through a server.

I clearly understand that expertise is needed in following through with such a project which is why I wished to make contact with an individual who could discuss such a project from a to z. Especially contact with an individual who is already involved with an OLPC project in the country of interest,Ghana.
rosewes

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback