Laptop.org has a serious problem

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Laptop.org has a serious problem

Postby franco » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Are there any administrators that are actively participating in these forums? This board is receiving a lot of spam. Do you have any spam police that have the power to delete their emails and accounts? To whom should we be sending spam reports?

Franco
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Re: Laptop.org has a serious problem

Postby mburns » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Yes, I promise there are. We've been especially quiet lately, sadly. Partly from volunteer burnout, partly from real life obligations eating time. Several members of the OLPC support gang (culseg, for instance) are moderators, but I think we should try and expand that, both to bring more users into the community--something that has languished over the last month-- and to diversify and expand the coverage of forum posts.

I've done a walk through and cleaned up the users and posts that have been spam-like. More permanent solutions are *very* welcome.

So my question to you (all) becomes: How can we get things back on track?
mburns
Support Team

Postby franco » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm

I will send a private message.
Franco
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby jfbrown42 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:32 pm

I've been marking the spammer/trolls as "enemies" hoping that the moderators will notice that somebody is making a lot of enemies and take action. If there is something else I should be doing (on other forums, there is a "report this post to a moderator" link on each post) let me know, and I'll do it.
jfbrown42

Postby Sarah Elkins » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

mburns wrote:Several members of the OLPC support gang (culseg, for instance) are moderators, but I think we should try and expand that, both to bring more users into the community--something that has languished over the last month-- and to diversify and expand the coverage of forum posts.

I've done a walk through and cleaned up the users and posts that have been spam-like. More permanent solutions are *very* welcome.

So my question to you (all) becomes: How can we get things back on track?

Regarding spam: I like how http://wiki.laptop.org spam-protects: it makes me do a math exercise when submitting a change with a new hyperlink. Is there a way to do that kind of thing with this forum software? Or would that not help, if spammers are using humans to do their dirty work here?

Regarding volunteer burnout, moderators, more users for the community: is there a clear path to becoming an official volunteer (as opposed to those of us just helping out with answers from time to time on the forums)? What training is involved? Is that documented anywhere? Could a new post about that be made?
Sarah Elkins

Postby culseg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:21 pm

Sarah Elkins wrote:
mburns wrote:Several members of the OLPC support gang (culseg, for instance) are moderators, but I think we should try and expand that, both to bring more users into the community--something that has languished over the last month-- and to diversify and expand the coverage of forum posts.
--
Regarding volunteer burnout, moderators, more users for the community: is there a clear path to becoming an official volunteer (as opposed to those of us just helping out with answers from time to time on the forums)? What training is involved? Is that documented anywhere? Could a new post about that be made?

Brief answer to your question is that there are many ways to get involved in OLPC, see: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Participate

and for community support this is the place to consider signing up , see:
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/support-gang
culseg
Support Team

Postby ffm » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:59 am

Please do press the "report" button next to posts, and we'll get on it.
OLPC Support Volunteer
ffm
Support Team

Postby jfbrown42 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Ah, the little '!" icon. I never noticed that before. Thanks!
jfbrown42

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback