Anonymous Spam Posting

Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.

Anonymous Spam Posting

Postby mburns » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm

To avoid annoying spam in the short term, anonymous posts to the General Help forum have been disabled. You can register for a free account to post or reply to the forum.

With the right setup, we should be able to allow anonymous users (with CAPTCHA filters) again.

Most moderators could be helpful in lowering the turn-around time on help and administration requests for the site. Applicants welcome.

Cheers!
mburns
Support Team

Re: Anonymous Spam Posting

Postby Freemor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:39 am

Thank you for this.. The spam was getting a bit pervasive.
Re: applying to be a moderator.. would I do that here or through the Participate page on he wiki?

Thanks in advance
Freemor
Freemor

Postby koolkat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:16 am

The russian asshats are still getting through. Could you require that all new accounts require moderator approval before they are able to post? It would help a lot. Also is there some way to ban someone and delete all of their posts at once?
koolkat
Support Team

Postby koolkat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 am

Ummmm yeah so about blocking people going to get on that anytime soon?

I am stopping deleting stuff until people are blocked, just not worth my time.
koolkat
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Could you require that all new accounts require moderator approval before they are able to post?

I've been casually looking at the patterns of some of our bot spammers. they seems to coming through the captcha to apply for an account, but not actually posting yet. They sit there as "sleepers" for anywhere from an hour to a few days before they actually start spamming. I suspect they have a sweat shop somewhere where humans break captchas before passing the account off to the spambots.

If they choose a name that is a regex match to some of our most egregious spammers, /08*/, /lyjg*/, /sztin*/, we may be able to catch it and not confirm them. But in general, there is no way to Turing Test a new account to make sure they're not a spammer. We would probably be doing more harm than good, as people with "weird" usernames may be honestly asking for help but can't because we didn't approve of their choice of username.

Also is there some way to ban someone and delete all of their posts at once?

That would be awesome! But that would be a phpBB3 functionality, which I doubt they thought of that.
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Forum Announcements & Feedback