One laptop, One Child In Africa!

Coordination of teachers and educational content for the XO.

One laptop, One Child In Africa!

Postby Austen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Can someone tell me how the developing countries in Africa can get involved in this program? I am a teacher in togo, a tiny West African country. We're trying to integrate Web 2.0 in classroom setting, but we lack IT structures.
Austen

Re: One laptop, One Child In Africa!

Postby Pecisk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:19 am

Austen wrote:Can someone tell me how the developing countries in Africa can get involved in this program? I am a teacher in togo, a tiny West African country. We're trying to integrate Web 2.0 in classroom setting, but we lack IT structures.

I guess you can try to email to help@olpc.org first, as volunteers they are very highly motivated to help you. They will direct you to right person who might could give you insight about possibility to have OLPC program realized in your country or village.
Pecisk

Postby BoBraxton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Austen: we are planning to go this summer to Kenya where our local church has a 20-year (so far) partnership and a Primary school (British style).
BoBraxton

Postby Austen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 am

BoBraxton,
Thanks for reply to my Macedonian cry. Thank God for your visit to Kenya this summer. Would it be possible to squeeze in something for us in Togo? Would you consider a partnership with us?
Austen Ezeifedi
English Language Center, Lome, Togo.
Austen

Postby BenBecker » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Austen, BoBraxton,
I am conducting some research on the possibilities for OLPC in Kenya for a class. I am interested in how the XO might improve education in the country, and in what needs to be done beforehand to make each child's learning as effective as possible. Could you please tell me what your hopes and aspirations are for this project? What is lacking in Kenya's education that you think the OLPC program could improve? What is significant about OLPC that sets it apart from other programs? What are some criticisms you have of the program? What else most needs to be improved in Kenya's education system that OLPC couldn't solve?

Any information that you or anyone else could give would be of great assistance.

Thanks,
Ben Becker
veilnebula@gmail.com
BenBecker

Postby gelosialapt » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:12 pm

Are you sure integrating web 2.0 is a good idea? Why don't you try to introduce then from the most basic part?
gelosialapt

Postby sandrathaxter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm working on some projects for Africa rural schools. Given my short time with my newly arrived OLPC. I would work on which applications were available to students, and focus on several in the wonderful collobative mode. And I would try to customize these apps more for the age group of children
Sandra Thaxter
sthaxter@unicef.org
sandrathaxter

Postby sandrathaxter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 pm

So many people interested in XO in Africa. I meeting with someone this weekend with a network in Cameroon that he would like to work with. I'd like to know if anyone understands how country programs are financed. Does the government purchase the XOs at bulk cost, or are there some known NGOs (besides UNICEF) who are kicking in on these projects.. or how do we fund a project? I'm not pulling it out of my own pocket. I know how to write projects, but would like to know what others have done.
Sandra Thaxter
sthaxter@unicef.org
sandrathaxter

Postby BoBraxton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Sandra (and others)
Our partnership is with a vocational (polytechnic) school originally teaching two year programs for folks not going on to what Americans call high school: carpentry and joinery, masonry, tailoring and dressmaking, added secretarial college (including conventional computer lab), metalworking (welding and such), trying to add automotive. The local people of Kenya have also constructed year by year grades (standard) one through eight (primary school) which would be our focus with these systems.
Due to unrest in Kenya, we have pared down our group from 24 or 25 this year to eight, re-scheduling the main group for summer of 2009. Instead of four weeks, we are looking to be there about three weeks.
The six OLPC XO units we have we did "pull out of our own pocket" as one have of the G1G1 offer. Friday evening we are meeting to take a look at starting to prepare for what we might do with standards 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 while in Kenya in July. Sorry I have been out of the loop for awhile.
BoBraxton

Postby sandrathaxter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:29 pm

BoBraxton,
Thanks for your reply. I have some contacts in Kenya and belong to two sister city programs, each connected a a rural village. I'd love to keep up with how your development and program proceeds. It would be great to see this program live in the field in Africa.

It sounds as if you found enough XOs from "G1, G1" to get started with your project. We have only one. I don't know if laptop.org/OLPC are still supporting the gifting of 100 XOs. Do you know if this program is still active?

I'm think we could get the interested churches we are contacting to raise enough for a 100 XO startup project. But I'd much rather work with 10 machines and do a smaller sized pilot, but ... from your perspective... how does one put together machines for a pilot? It seems a necessary step before trying to convence Ministries of Education to purchase 100,000 for about $2 million dollars.

Thanks so much.
Sandra Thaxter
Sandra Thaxter
sthaxter@unicef.org
sandrathaxter

Postby Powerpeace » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:06 am

Dear Austen in Africa,

I am working on a proposal to bundle OLPC & infrastructure. If you connect with me at PowerpeaceMaster@aol.com and mention OLPC in the subject line I will see if I can include you in a beta test of our program.
Deborah J. Boyd
http://www.xing.com
Powerpeace

Postby BoBraxton » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:22 pm

We plan to arrive July 4 and to head on to our destination the following day (inside Kenya).
The six units have been re-flashed to build 703. As far as I know that is the current one.
I have heard of build 708 for testing (not stabilized). In addition on each of the six, we have tuxtype2 but must run via Terminal, same for Opera web browser 9.12 version. I have 1 GB flash drives: the first has Operating System and the second (in a set) all standard Activities. I have trained three members of the group of eight and we all intend to train primary school teacher(s) at the Educational Centre (Kenya).
BoBraxton

Postby BoBraxton » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Our SIX XO systems are delivered and we did as much training as we could in just two weeks (with teachers).
Our "green team" was in Kibwezi, Kenya, for two weeks and after spending every hour (afternoon) possible with FOUR of the primary school teachers we have left with them the SIX XO systems. I am writing from Nairobi, Kenya, one day before our return flight to U.S.A. (Virginia). We expect to return with a group three times the size of our eight this trip, summer of 2009. This was the original group scheduled but the trip was re-scheduled following post-election violence. I am sure we will be reporting much, since there are 412 students in the Primary school and we had only six systems (through G1G1). Now when the program re-opens in August our thoughts are to obtain additional (few) and to use them the next two terms in our tutoring program at local church (which partners in Kenya) and taking both what we learn and those additional XO systems on the 2009 summer trip. As I understand, the "$75 XO-2" is slated for the year 2010?
BoBraxton

Postby mleggier » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks for starting this thread. I am currently researching computer activities through the programs/applications already loaded on the XO laptops that would be interesting to introduce to a small (10 laptops) pilot program of children in Lusaka, Zambia for the Lubuto Library Project, Inc.

I found this list of activities online and was wondering if any one has had any success in teaching them already?

http://laptop.org/en/laptop/start/activities.shtml

Any insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated as well as success stories, especially in teaching these programs via the web through distance learning. Thanks for your help!
mleggier

Postby ImaniKibwezi » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 am

mleggier
The team introduced several Activities over a two week period to three or four primary school teachers leading up to their departure July 22 to return to U.S.A.
I see that there is now a longer list of Activities being prepared for 8.2 and this November's G1 G1 deux.
ImaniKibwezi

Next

Return to Teachers, Students & Educatiors