Creating new activities - a call to programming instructors

Coordination of teachers and educational content for the XO.

Creating new activities - a call to programming instructors

Postby langellier » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:43 am

Here's an idea. Instructors could teach Programming Principles courses (or CS1) with Python or Squeak. The Final Project for students could be to have them create new activities for the XO.

Just think how many activities could be created if several colleges started doing this...
langellier

Postby Infamy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:06 pm

Absolutly. This is why I keep recommending that if someone finds the XO not to be the laptop they are looking for, by all means send it to a university grad student who will put it to the test.

Cheers,

Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Re: Creating new activities - a call to programming instructors

Postby davewa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 am

But who will teach the teachers?
davewa

Postby ektoric » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Is that a technical question, or a Platonic question? :wink:
ektoric
Support Team

Postby davewa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 pm

It's a complaint about the lack of proper documentation of the Activity object, which is key to building courseware for programming anything more complex than "Hello, world!" in the Sugar environment.

I've been a year writing an Activity (StarChart) in Python/PyGTK that would have taken me about six weeks to make in Visual C++ for Windows. Chalk some of that up to not knowing any Python or anything about GTK. But mostly I've had to wait for somebody to say something (in the Sugar Almanac wiki subtree) about how to do very basic stuff inside the context of a class derived from Activity.

My current blocking problem: I need to detect a mouse click but I can't figure out what Widget is actually the correct one for connecting the event to.
davewa

Return to Teachers, Students & Educatiors