[Grassroots-l] Wiki curator/coordination/organization

Make local contacts near you, and around the world.

Postby Iain (XO) Davidson » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Hey ya'll,

I was on the Support-gang conference call (1.0 and 2.0) on sunday, and several folks mentioned I should touchbase here (and with Kate, etc..). I have a great interest with the wiki and helping to organization/reshape the site to something more friendly, and easier to navigate.
I have lots of ideas and experience, and would like to put our heads together with a group for a good cooperative plan of wiki attack. :)
As the wiki is quickly expanding (at the rate of 10 to 15 new pages a day), how about create a group of folks who want to help coordinate with keeping content organized and consistent ?

And idea, is creating a section for wiki content curators/coordinators .... on the curators wiki page?
Some ideas for a starting points, create
1) Site Map (good consistent/maintained/watched pages for the public),
2) List/category of outdated pages (to be avoided, or archived, or moved into a specific archive User Space?))
3) Collection of 'User Boxes' for self-identification of interests and areas where they want to help.

I also found an older Wiki Page Restructuring and OBX proposals (last updated by Xavi and MitchellNCharity )

Let me know if you are interested helping, I'll connect up with Kate and see about getting a group of identified volunteers going.
--IainD
Iain (XO) Davidson

Postby Iain (XO) Davidson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 am

Grassroots,
The answer is yes. For those folks who have been frustrated by some mis-organization or in-consistencies in Wiki pages. Looking for input and ideas....

If you have an urge to start cleaning up wiki pages left and right, please join up with the growing group people , who want to spearhead it and get it done! :-)

Hopefully, start with a plan of attack.. Then recruit others to help make some of the smaller edits/cleanup stuff too.

-Iain
p.s. I've heard from Nikki, and Mel so far.. also Seth for helping be a contact point for some of the online image collections.

On Jan 13, 2008 11:10 PM, Seth Woodworth <sethw@windermere.com (sethw@windermere.com)> wrote:
As far as curating, I would be willing to taking the curation of flickr and librivox as content sources.

But I'm not sure that Grassroots is the list to discuss this, unless we are talking about recruiting interested parties from this list?

Iain (XO) Davidson

Postby KayTi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:01 pm

I think I would like to help. :D How's that for being vague and non-committal? I'm interested in helping, and I think the wiki could use a serious overhaul. It has plenty of information there, but each time I use it I find myself 15 mins into my work with no idea how I got where I am (but excited to be reading the content I find.) I'm also having trouble making sense of the various online support communities.

I think there is a huge benefit to providing a more unified support/content experience to both the G1G1 community and the end user base of educators and children.

Can my first contribution be a suggestion that the terms used to describe those who update and maintain content be re-evaluated? Maintainers? Coordinators? Curators? I'm partly poking fun, partly noticing what I think may be a barrier to the larger XO community - that the terminology is a huge hurdle to getting into the XO world. I'm sure we can come up with something a little better (or that sounds a little less like consultant-talk, a language I'm intimately familiar with after a dozen years in corporate consulting.)

So - what next?
KayTi

Postby mchua » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am

Kayti: Please join us!

As far as terminology goes, We used to call them curators - people explicitly maintaining some knowledge base, usually linked to another project contributing content - (and some people still call them curators). No special qualifications needed, just interest and a willingness to create/monitor/edit for a reasonable period of time.

But you don't even need to make that level of commitment. (Just random edits you think would be helpful.) To get started doing wiki cleanup, you can just launch in and pick a page to redo, or a portal that you think needs to be built, and start... editing and linking away. Ask forgiveness, not permission; reverts are simple and painless for admins to do, and other users can always change things afterwards.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wiki_cleanup has some current overhaul updates - if you're on the warpath against disorganization, posting your projects (or cleanup requests) there means other folks can see and help. #olpc-content is also a good place to grab people (see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/IRC or use the Chat activity on your XO or go to http://olpc.osuosl.org/chat and type "/join #olpc-content" once you log in.)

Hope this helps - folks, holler if you want more to get you started.

We should also schedule a cleanup marathon for some weekend. What are people doing this coming Sunday afternoon, at say... 4pm EST?
mchua

Return to Regional Groups and International Groups