Battery Problems

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Battery Problems

Postby _carllemp » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:15 am

I've had my XO for several weeks but the battery died after a couple of days and support is VERY slow to diagnose the problem. Has anyone else had problems with the battery and, if so, how did you go about diagnosing and fixing it?
After the battery was fully discharged, it stopped accepting a charge. Now, if it is even installed in the XO, it won't boot. Or if I put it in after it is booted, the XO starts running really slowly and the charging light blinks red after ten seconds.

I've asked support what the blinking light means several times but I get no answer. Anybody know what the blinking red battery light means?
_carllemp

Postby _carllemp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Just an update since yesterday. I found a closed ticket #543 from the beta version of the XO that exactl described the problem I have with the battery and that sequence of events that got it into this condition. The ticket says the bug was found and fixed but I guess it has surfaced again. Now all I need is someone from the OLPC support team to look at the ticket and tell me what a work-around could. Anybody have a guess on how long that'll take?
_carllemp

possible fix

Postby LarryGB » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:21 am

I too had problems with the battery, but only with reporting and not really a charge issue. When first received, I knew the Bat LED would turn green when plugged into A/C but after some troubleshooting exercises, I ended up with the same RED blinking LED as you. According to the wiki's it's actually some sort of charge failure indication.
So I checked and it did seem to be charging the battery, even though it never reached a full charge status. I did resolve it though by removing the batt pak from the unit. unpluggung the A/C, holding down the check mark button while I plugged in the A/C. which now gave me an amber bat LED. Then I powered it on, and waited for system load. Then I inserted the battery, and the system indicated a charging situation. It shortly turned the LED green and showed that it was fully charged and has been working ever since. It started in my case from trying to run the XO from A/C without a battery installed. I think the smart battery reporting got out of sync somehow.
Hopefully no more bugs show up.
Hope this resolves your problem......
For beginning linux commands - http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html
For intermediate linux commands - add /interm/index.html
For advanced linux commands - add /advanced/index.html
LarryGB

Postby _carllemp » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks for posting the procedure that fixed your battery (reporting) problem. Unfortunately, it had no affect on mine. I've been working with Richard from OLPC but no luck there yet either.
_carllemp

Return to Hardware