Replacement Keyboards

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Re: Replacement Keyboards

Postby Niels » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:45 pm

I've been told there are a few available from RMA'd XOs that have been parted out, mainly to stock people trying to stock repair centers. Check the wiki. I think Olin College repair center is your best bet.
Niels

Postby Pinbyte » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:34 am

I cannot believe that the child just over 3 years old would tear my membrane keyboard to shreads as has happened to others in this thread. I just thought I'd let the kid bang on it and keep her out of trouble... boy was I wrong. This thread is a bit old... is there any chance that at this time we can obtain a replacement membrane? Like others on this thread, I am astonished how the ruggedized laptop so easily succumbed to a younger child's ignorance.

I really do feel crummy about it. Still, nobody can think of everything. I would gladly pay a few bucks just to put this XO back in original condition. If I can simply purchase a new membrane for a reasonable price and install it myself, I would be okay... but right now I own a worthless XO and am totally bummed. Can OLPC help?

- Pinbyte

P.S. Pretty please...
Pinbyte

Postby papatecusa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:11 am

It's upset,ever I thought the question from my keyboard,so I shipped a laptop from http://www.sunvalleyus.com/but it is of a little effect.
papatecusa

Postby GlennJ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:49 am

The keyboard is clearly the week point in this machine, but I don't think torts are the answer. I have recently built a new computer, and this year I was just flabbergasted by the number of bad parts I got from diverse manufacturers. Chinese factories are turning out grate gobs of substandard products, some of which have poisoned people. They are at the Upton Sinclair level of unregulated economic expansion, and just beginning to realize they have to reign it in.

Less expensive, lower powered electronics is still the best path into the future, as we try to stretch the worlds resources for 6.7 billion people, and counting. Cant we have parts made in Indea, or Mexico? Taiwan? I'd even accept parts from Texas!
GlennJ

Postby mwarren » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 am

Instructables has step-by-step instructions to replace your membrane keyboard with a small USB keyboard which is available from many vendors (for example the Solidtek PSK-3100U).
Phase I: Installing a USB Keyboard
Phase II: Finishing the USB Keyboard Install
mwarren

Postby Parris » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Great! Be sure to ask them to ship a second replacement keyboard to the person who received the donated laptop in far flung lands!

The point is being totally missed.

A product should not need to be "upgraded" to be of satisfactory quality.

Whilst I completely agree that anyone with children under the age of 6 within reach of these XO laptops should exercise the same levels of caution you would with any other delicate electronic device, I also feel that the keyboard (being that it is the single most used part of a computer), should be built to take a fair amount of abuse.

These laptops are designed to be used by children who irrespective of age have a curiosity beyond that of adults.

Being a parent I know accidents happen, and actually it tends to be my utterly accident prone teenage daughter who causes the most damage to electronic devices, so...

When those accidents do occur it would be great to know that a simple solution was available World Wide. If the manufacturer suggests glue then Whitney we have a problem!

Maybe they should ship these units globally with a tube of glue...
Parris

Postby sanjsrik » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:47 am

Thank you, THAT is the sentiment I was trying to convey.

All of that being said, I'm ordering the keyboard so at least my daughter can use a functioning laptop.
sanjsrik

Postby freelanceg33k » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:07 pm

I have found the instructions for how to replace the keyboard, however where can I order the replacement membrane from?
freelanceg33k

Postby ektoric » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:52 pm

ektoric
Support Team

Postby sanjsrik » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:42 pm

The wow factor is definitely dead. Cannot connect to a mesh network in my neighborhood (amazing, Brooklyn is hard to find people), daughter is very frustrated with the way the mouse jumps all over the screen, if I cannot connect I cannot download any updates that may fix this.

I gave up, finally gave her my old Dell laptop. She watches DVDs on it, plays games, etc.

This was a "decent" concept, just got lost in the "ooh, look how much good we're doing" BS and not enough practical usability for the audience for which it was intended.
sanjsrik

Postby freelanceg33k » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks for the links ektoric.
Here's the step-by-step for replacing the keyboard that I'm going to follow:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_replacement

sanjsrik wrote:The wow factor is definitely dead. Cannot connect to a mesh network in my neighborhood (amazing, Brooklyn is hard to find people)...

The XO was primarily developed for third-world country classrooms, where the 20-30 students in the class could interact with each other in the mesh. Brooklyn, while being close, is hardly a third-world country classroom... 8)

peace.
freelanceg33k

Postby sanjsrik » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:02 pm

While admittedly, you sound about as ignorant as anyone I could imagine. Have you actually ever been to brooklyn or is it too far outside of your comfort zone of homogeneity?

As for your assertion that it's made for third-world countries where praytell are THESE children going to get replacement keyboards since in such a developed country such as the US we have the luxury of obtaining them (at a price). They do not. They get these, as you say, 20-30 of them "interact" with said devices, how long before THEIR keyboard membrane peels off.

Kind of hard to tell what keys you're pressing when there are no keys on the keyboard. Especially since the mesh network has a range of what?

Try not to be completely ignorant about the matter. They sold/are selling lemons.
sanjsrik

Postby AuntiMame » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Cannot connect to a mesh network in my neighborhood

A mesh requires 2 or more XOs in radio frequency distance: line-of-sight with perfect weather conditions maybe 1/4 mile. But if you are inside a building that might be down to the room next door.

As for your assertion that it's made for third-world countries where praytell are THESE children going to get replacement keyboards

Deployments get extra XOs and spare parts as part of their order. So they have replacement keyboards.

how long before THEIR keyboard membrane peels off.

The XO is designed for school aged (6-12) kids who tend to be more careful with equipment -- as well as getting basic training from adults on how to use the XO and how to care for it. We here in the developed world tend to be much harder on the equipment than kids in deployments.

Try not to be completely ignorant about the matter.

Geez, people. Can't we be civil?

Aunti
http://www.XOExplosion.com
Silly name. Great stuff for your XO laptop.
AuntiMame

Postby Niels » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

The XO is designed for school aged (6-12) kids who tend to be more careful with equipment -- as well as getting basic training from adults on how to use the XO and how to care for it. We here in the developed world tend to be much harder on the equipment than kids in deployments.

Aunti, I think it is quite telling that the huge change in the XO2 is to have no keyboard. And, as my first post in this thread (not the OP, but mine, I think on page 2) explains, the issue is not the 6 year olds.

The issue is that families tend to have more than one child, especially in the developing world. That's just a fact. There's nothing wrong with that. I wish we felt comfortable having more kids. But the fact remains, so at least half of those school age kids will bring these laptops home and they will, in the course of a year or two, get bored, leave it on the floor, a younger sibling will come along, and go looking for the gnomes that must be carrying those letters to the keyboard so fast.

It's not that anyone is being evil. It's an unforseen design flaw. These things were designed by humans. Humans are human.

BTW, I bought two keyboards from XO explosion. I look forward to receiving them soon!
Niels

Postby intrader » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Check this out http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/07/12 ... -teleread/
I have also entered my serial number CSN7480406B in list of laptops with stuck keyboard

Another they are replacing the keyboard with the same, This is one is a video

http://dotsub.com/view/316bb6f4-0ec7-4d ... 40bdf641c4
intrader

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware