Help with external keyboard- I'm a baby!

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Help with external keyboard- I'm a baby!

Postby blinky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:34 am

I have a logitech keyboard with a ps/2 cable. I ordered a ps/2 to usb adapter from ebay. After waiting or a week, it finally arrived, I plugged it in, the keyboard lights up, but that's as far as it goes.

Forgive me for mentioning the dreaded word, but as a lifelong WINDOWS user, I'd probably now check the drivers, maybe go to the web and download and install the driver for my keyboard.

With the xo, I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Before I just go out and buy a new usb keyboard, is there anyone who can help?

Please bear in mind, if you're going to suggest I go to terminal, log in as root etc etc, you have to talk to me like I'm a three-year-old - I know nothing. If your instructions aren't at a three-year-old's level, you're wasting your time.
blinky

Re: Help with external keyboard- I'm a baby!

Postby franco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Just get a USB keyboard. I have two that work. Got one for a dollar at a garage sale and the other for $10 at the supermarket, of all places! Just about anyone will sell cheap chinese electronic stuff today.
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby LarryGB » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:00 am

blinky wrote:I have a logitech keyboard with a ps/2 cable. I ordered a ps/2 to usb adapter from ebay.

Typically, most USB to PS/2 or PS/2 to USB adapters only work with Keyboards and Mice that have firmware [in the keyboard or mouse] that supports multi format connections. If it didn't ship with the keyboard or mouse, most adapters will not work. Even thought there is nothing wrong with the adaptor. So check the Keyboard/mouse, often they will tell you on the base if it is for one or both USB or PS/2 formats....
For beginning linux commands - http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html
For intermediate linux commands - add /interm/index.html
For advanced linux commands - add /advanced/index.html
LarryGB

Postby blinky » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:58 am

Franco - I know keyboards are cheap. I thought I'd post here first - might have been something simple I could do like install a driver or change a setting which I was unaware.

Yesterday I went to the bike shop about a broken spindle - the guy there said for the cost of repair, I might as well throw my old bike away and buy a new one. This is the throwaway society. I always prefer to try to fix something if possible...

Larry, thanks, I will check it out.
blinky

Return to Hardware