Will no longer boot

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Will no longer boot

Postby demotljxo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 pm

I think I overtaxed my XO and now it won't boot. Here is what I did -- I moved a 27MB pdf file from my SD card to the journal and then tried to open it. It was taking a while to open and so, becoming impatient, I also started Opera. Both Reader and Opera just blinked and blinked, never opening, and I couldn't get the reboot menu to come up so I finally had to push the power button to turn it off. Now it won't boot -- I just get the music, the X with one dot under it and it hangs there forever.

I tried removing the battery for awhile and restarting, but no dice. I tried booting with the x on the gamepad and then with the o on the gamepad but nothing changed either time. I tried copying the build to a flashdrive and booting from that as explained in some other forum threads but all I get is "Failure to boot" and the little sad face icon.

I will try using a couple of different flash drives since some people seemed to have luck doing that but is there anything else I can try?

Laurie
demotljxo

Re: Will no longer boot

Postby demotljxo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 am

I'm replying to my own post for the benefit of others who might read this. I did finally fix the booting problem -- as many have indicated, the first flash drive I used to try to do a re-build didn't work. I finally downloaded the fs.zip and the 656 build onto a new SD card, plugged it into the flash drive (with a usb reader) and booted it holding the game pad keys. This time it all worked. The instructions and links for the files can be found at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Update.

Before I did that, I did run two diagnostic tests, (I think the one in which you boot holding the rectangle on the right hand game key and another in which you hold the check mark while booting, but I also did one in which you hold the left hand game key down while booting and I can't remember which did what). Anyway, the diagnostics showed that everything was working but that the disk was full, so I think I did download too much stuff to the XO. I was just having too much fun!

Hopefully everything is working now, so for others having similar problems, the key is perseverance and lots of searches of these forums and wikis.

Laurie
demotljxo

Re: Will no longer boot

Postby garlic » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:11 am

thanks for postingthe update, Laurie. One of my biggest frustrations is that finding help on the wiki or laptop.org is so difficult.
garlic

Return to Hardware