Mouse moves too fast (under emulation)

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Mouse moves too fast (under emulation)

Postby Michael Crawford » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm running the devel_ext3 build 659 under emulation using Q 0.9.0a89 on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

I had no trouble getting it to run under emulation, but the mouse pointer on the XO screen is far too sensitive: very small motions of my hand will make the pointer fly all the way across the screen. Fine control of the UI is very difficult, almost but not quite impossible.

I'm using an external USB mouse. When the pointer is in the Mac OS screen, it moves at a modest pace.

Is there a setting for mouse accelleration that I can adjust?

I don't think this is the same as the jumpy mouse problem that others are reporting. I don't have a real XO, I'm running under emulation. I think it's a software problem, not a hardware problem.

Thanks for your help! -- Mike
Michael Crawford

Re: Mouse moves too fast (under emulation)

Postby pgf » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:28 pm

yes -- it's way too fast. are you running in "scaled" mode? that may make the problem worse.

in any case, find another unix machine and look at "man xset". you want something like:
Code: Select all
xset m 2/3

which says "make the mouse run at 2/3 of it's normal speed". the second parameter (not shown in my example) is normally used if you're speeding up the mouse, not slowing it down.

i still haven't figured out where to put things like this to get them to happen at every boot. but putting it in .bash_profile should work -- but it won't happen until you use a terminal window.

paul
pgf

Return to Hardware