USB Mouse: no pointer movement

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

USB Mouse: no pointer movement

Postby mattd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:06 pm

But the scroll wheel and buttons work.

OK, it's not actually a mouse it's the ergonomic touchpad, but it works just fine on a Winbox. Other USB mice work on my XO.

I've put in an information request with the manufacturer, but figured I'd go ahead and ask if anybody can think of something off the top of their heads.

USB 2.0 compliance? USB HID compliance? I know there were lots of issues with the mouse jumping... maybe something to do with that fix?
mattd

Re: USB Mouse: no pointer movement

Postby mattd » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:39 am

Heard back from the supplier: "We have sold to many Linux users without problem."

So does anyone know how the dev guys tweaked the USB interface to get the mouse to work properly? Like I said, it's pointer movement only.

On a Winbox, the pointer movement is pretty fast - did the developers ignore any 'too fast' movements because of the jump-to-corner-when-finger-removed problem?
mattd

Postby jakeosx » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 am

unfortunatly this is not a full linux install. it is possible that the drivers the tablet needs are not installed.

probably, these can be installed via yum (assuming the tablet works in fedora) but you'd have to know what to get (and i have no clue)

i use just a regular usb mouse and it works well.
jakeosx

Postby mattd » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:21 pm

The thing is, I'm sure this device adheres to the USB Human Interface Device (HID) standard (no problems in Windows, OS X, or several Linux distros).

If this is true, it means the XO does not. Well, not exactly - obviously run-of-the-mill USB mice work. I've found a couple of mousepad bug reports over at http://www.olpc.com, but they don't say anything about how they were fixed, just that they were fixed.

And the few that I saw were apparently caused by a very over-sensitive mouse pad. For instance one problem report stated that there would be mouse movement when your finger was as much as 1/3 of an inch above the pad. Another was the mouse jumped to a corner when you removed your finger from the pad.

Hmm... Can we disable mouse acceleration?
mattd

Postby pgf » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 pm

matt -- i did some googling for "usb touchpad sensitivity linux", and came up with a bunch of references to a "synaptics" touchpad driver. i don't know if that's applicable, though, since yours is connected via USB.

i also found this:
http://www.usenet-forums.com/linux-gene ... ivity.html

but i think the "Resolution" setting it refers to is really just that, and not a sensitivity adjustment. might be worth playing with, though.

paul
pgf

Postby mattd » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks, paul. I'll check it out.

I've got to start checking this forum more often....
mattd

Postby jairomacon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 am

have used the Ergonomic Touch pad several months. It does everything your mouse does, left click, right click, Scroll!, drag & drop, zoom, glide extend and much more.
I found no problems with that. If it works fine on a Win box may be there would be problem of muse jumping.
Ergonomic Touch pad is a low profile ergonomic design,means less hand movement and more comfort.
It comes with a special Velcro backed housing that make it “ten touch pads in one!” You can set it, stick it down or use one of our keyboard mounts to put it within an inch of your typing hands on your computer keyboard!
Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got.
jairomacon

Postby Ohioquotes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm

I may check that out. I'm always typing content for my websites and emailing. I'm sure Carpel-Tunnel is just around the corner unless I do something.
Ohioquotes

Return to Hardware