Flickering horizontal black lines (1/2 screen)

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Flickering horizontal black lines (1/2 screen)

Postby thel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi,

i got a problem with my OLPC B4/Q2D13, the right half of the screen is filled with flickering horizontal black lines (true for color and b&w). Is there a way to fix this? Thank you, TH

The black lines seems to be triggered by certain patterns of color/brightness, which means that in some activities without such patterns the screen works fine - such as Terminal (text on white background) this is not true for the frame of the activity, here the lines still appear.

http://www.math.uni-bielefeld.de/~thellweg/olpc-flicker-lines.avi
thel

Re: Flickering horizontal black lines (1/2 screen)

Postby wad » Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm

One possible cause of this is a misaligned main cable to the display. Can you remove the bezel,
unscrew the display, and gently disconnect and reconnect the main cable to the display ?

wad
wad

Postby brewsmith » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Sorry about replying to such an old post, but did you ever resolve this issue? The same thing has started to happen with my XO as well and has been getting worse. I took the display panel apart and made sure the lcd connectors were in properly but that didn't help.

This happens in both the Sugar/Fedora OS and when booting Ubuntu from an SD card. As the OP said, the lines only appear when dark images are on the screen...i.e. black horizontal lines are flickering parallel to a dark icon on a light coloured desktop.

Thanks for any help
brewsmith

Postby sv7n » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:08 am

I had a similar problem with my XO, and I followed Wad's directions. It was pretty simple to remove the 8 screws - 4 on the bottom of the screen and then 4 holding the screen in. Then just disconnect and reconnect the larger of the two ribbon cables from the screen to the motherboard. Do it while it's running (on battery) so when you reconnect you can make sure you get a good seat. It took me two tries, but 10 minutes later it was as good as new. I found the photos here helpful: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4199
sv7n

Return to Hardware