Help with Voltage conversion Please!

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Help with Voltage conversion Please!

Postby Blades » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi all,

I have happily just aquired my XO laptop for my Nephew in the UK to give as a Christmas present. I was of course aware of the 220 Voltage ouput and differing plug adaption for UK appliances.

So my question is: Do I need to purchase a full step-down transformer: 220-110v or simply a plug adapter allowing the US XO Laptop Green charger it comes with handle the 220v to step it down to 11 to 18 V usable?

Below: the spec info available:

External connectors
DC power: 6mm (1.65mm center pin) connector; 11 to 18 V input usable, –32 to 40 V input tolerated; power draw limited to 15 W;

Thank you up front for any help on this matter.
Blades

Re: Help with Voltage conversion Please!

Postby koolkat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:41 pm

I am in Leeds with my XO and all you need is a plug adaptor. The transformer take input voltages up to 240 volts, so I wouldn't worry about blowing it up.

-Jeff
koolkat
Support Team

Postby Blades » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Jeff,

Thank you so much - a plug adaptor it is then. Just to confirm is your XO a US version?

I understand the XO is not available in the UK until early next year, is this correct?

Again thank you!

Pete
Blades

Postby Geof » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:52 am

I'm wondering whether a hand-crank generator purchased from a separate source (not OLPC) will work to recharge the XO battery. Is there any danger in trying? And, is such a generator available from OLPC?
Geof

Postby ncarrol » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:20 pm

ncarrol

Postby koolkat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 pm

yes I got mine during the G1G1 last year and had it shipped to my home in VT. I have been using it a bit around campus here, but not that much. I wouldn't expect to be able to find any AC/DC converters with plugs that will fit, but if you use a plug adapter the machine runs fine and charges without doing anything bad. I have even left it plugged in for a while and still nothing bad happened. If you look on the sticker near the plug you can see the input voltages and output voltages also, and you will see that it falls well withing the UK power system.

-Koolkat
koolkat
Support Team

Postby warrenwong » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:40 am

Blades wrote:Hi all,

I have happily just aquired my XO laptop for my Nephew in the UK to give as a Christmas present. I was of course aware of the 220 Voltage ouput and differing plug adaption for UK appliances.

So my question is: Do I need to purchase a full step-down transformer: 220-110v or simply a plug adapter allowing the US XO Laptop Green charger it comes with handle the 220v to step it down to 11 to 18 V usable?

Below: the spec info available:

External connectors
DC power: 6mm (1.65mm center pin) connector; 11 to 18 V input usable, –32 to 40 V input tolerated; power draw limited to 15 W;

Thank you up front for any help on this matter.

I think you only need a transformer is ok,the transformer will changer AC to DC,and change 220V to 10-18V,
Learning knowledge about laptop accessory

MSN: warren.goodvision@hotmail.com
warrenwong

Postby ncarrol » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm

No ! N0! you do not need a transformer. The XO power adapter operates on 100 to 240 volts (Japan at 100 to UK at 220). You need only the right adapter plug ( or a version of the power adapter that is originally manufactured with your plug placement).
ncarrol

Postby Nayantara » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Third (or Fourth) this.

I have had no problems with using the stock XO green wall wart in Europe and Asia.
Get this http://www.world-import.com/WSS407.htm
Or any suitable one like on this site http://www.world-import.com/plugs.htm
Gave 13-Nov-2007, Got 3-Jan-2008.
Nayantara

Return to Hardware