LCD Died?

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

LCD Died?

Postby osodani » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:03 am

I have a G1G1 xo laptop from just this past christmas. It hasn't been used much, but suddenly, we went to turn it on and the LCD screen won't turn on. The laptop is booting, lights come on and we hear the boot sounds. It's charging normally and we've never had a problem before now.

Any ideas? Less than 6 months of rare use seems like too short a time for a hardware failure like this.
osodani

Re: LCD Died?

Postby ncarrol » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:31 pm

Try reloading the software. It is an easy task if you have a PC (or Mac) with a USB flash (thumb) drive and connected to the internet. Two clicks to down load two files (1/2 hour). Put drive in XO and boot while holding down all for game keys. Note: this erases everything !!!!!

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update

Of course, try the simple check first : power off, remove the battery, wait 30 seconds, reinstall the battery and restart. This resets the EC (electronic controller) and the radio (which stays powered even when the power is off). This has been known to correct odd problems.
ncarrol

Postby whiteghost » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:24 am

I'm having the same problem. I have had mine since Nov. 2007. I know it's for a good cause and all but my laptop should work longer then this? I had put my laptop away for a couple of months. Since I was waiting for my son to get a little older to use it. I got it back out and now it does not work. When I first tried to use it yesterday I saw that the battery was completely dead. But it would not boot with the power cable plugged in either. I plugged in in and let it charge for about 3 hours and the light went from amber to green on the battery light LED so I thought it would work now. But it still does not work. I power it on and I see the power LED light turn green and that is it nothing happens. Even the battery light LED is not lit up. When I plug in the power cable the battery light LED is green but nothing happens. Can some one give me a hand with this.

Can someone please help?

I tried these step with no luck.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update

Email: whiteghostmws@gmail.com

Thanks, Ray
whiteghost

Postby ncarrol » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:07 pm

The long term storage brings the status of your battery into question. Try operating without the battery. When you plug in the AC power module, the battery light will flash amber momentarily and then turn off. The battery light will remain off as you power up the XO.

For the instructions on the "no-fail" to work, the battery must be fully charged and the power module plugged in (and connect to AC). What did you see when you tried to boot with the USB drive from the "no-fail" instructions ?

At least one anecdotal case reported that the RTC battery (watch type battery internal to XO) had died and gave symptoms such as yours. Replacing /cleaning the battery solved the problem (these should be 5 year batteries).

Finally, you said your XO was from 2007. Have you upgraded any since receiving it? There was a problem with the RTC battery holder associated with a firmware bug that would "brick" the XO. Any upgrade would have loaded a corrected firmware and the XO would not "brick", but a loose RTC battery would not allow the XO to run. A "bricked" XO would require a special serial interface and a separate computer to download controller instructions. This generally means sending to a repair facility. There was some chatter that just replacing the battery and waiting for 30 days for the RTC clock to roll over would revive the "bricked" XO --- don't know though.
ncarrol

Postby whiteghost » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:16 pm

I boot without the battery in the system and nothing happens. The green power light stays on but that's it. I really can't remember ever upgrading.... What would you recommend? I never had problem when I was using it at all, just since I got it back out last night.
When I booted from the usb drive nothing happened at all.

Thanks, Ray

whiteghostmws@gmail.com
whiteghost

Postby culseg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Ray,

If you follow the steps for testing power on issues at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Guide you may find out if your XO has a problem with its internal battery that can best be fixed at one of the volunteer repair centerss, see: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Directory_of_repair_centers

There may also be a problem with your main battery, see these pages for help:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery
culseg
Support Team

Postby whiteghost » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Can you let me know of a repair place phone number and address.

Thanks, Ray
whiteghost

Postby culseg » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:39 pm

You need to follow the link suggested at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair_center_locations and contact a couple of the nearest volunteer businesses to see their availability, timing and terms.

If you want to read more about how the repair is done put 'fix clock' in the search bar at the top of this Forum to read other messages.
culseg
Support Team

Postby whiteghost » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 pm

I just tested some of the things you posted. I have not sound at all when I power on the system and I have light at all on the mic LED.

Ray
whiteghost

Postby ncarrol » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:31 pm

If you follow culseg's links to troubleshooting, power on problems, battery and power problems, clock problem, problem and solution, you find that the symptoms exactly match your's (power LED, but no sound or display). The RTC clock problem is likely since you have not upgraded since receiving in 2007. The clock battery probably has developed some leakage and lost electrical contact.

The repair center is your solution (unless you want to try the "chatter" solution of waiting 30 days after installing a new RTC clock battery).
ncarrol

Return to Hardware