XO-1 is dead - does not respond to power. Please help!

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

XO-1 is dead - does not respond to power. Please help!

Postby BenT » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:15 am

Hi all,
I bought a G1G1 in the Australia round last year, and I was using it on and off for research. I have been away for several months and I have only just had time to come back to use the device. However, now, it's like it has no power and has no response at all.

the trouble shooting guide suggests that it needs a new mainboard, and I have also read elsewhere that it could be the lack of internal battery power? I am really not sure.

I would really like to use it again, but:
a) have no idea what is wrong with it
b) have no idea how and where to get it fixed if there is something wrong with it, or;
c) where to buy major parts like mainboards.
I have looked through the threads here, but not seen anything that explains my problem.

Alternatively, if anyone is Aus is willing to lend me an OLPC for a week, I'll pay all postage and shipping costs!

Any help anyone could give would be appreciated - I have school kids visitng soon and would love to show them an OLPC, but a broken one is not what I had in mind.
Thanks!
Ben
BenT

Re: XO-1 is dead - does not respond to power. Please help!

Postby ericnoel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi I'm in the same boat here. I have a G1G1 and it was stored away for a long time. When I tried to start it now it just doesn't turn on I have tried just everything that I can find documented:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update
I used both the standar 820 image and and older G1G1 820-1 and an older 767-4 image that I found linked on the wiki.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163904

The screen doesn't seem to respond at all, it doesn't appear to ever activate there is not even a typical flash that one sees on LCDs that get power; only the power and battery LEDs work.

When I try the no-fail update after a few seconds the battery flashes red and then the machine powers down.

The only thing that I haven't tried yet is a different USB stick; the one I use was FAT 16 formatted using the MAC OS 10.5 Disk Utility application.

Last thing that I have not tried either is sugar on a stick:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a ... ation/OLPC
ericnoel

Postby ncarrol » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:29 pm

What is the status of your battery? The upgrade will proceed ONLY if the battery is fully charged and the power supply is plugged into an active power outlet.

Since the radio remains on when the XO is powered off, the battery will discharge over several weeks. Some G1G1 users purchased the XO1, tried it out a few times and put it on the shelf. When they tried to use it six months latter, the battery was dead and could not be revived.

Try removing the main battery and operating just from the power module. When you plug in the power module, the battery light will briefly flash in amber color and then go out. When you press the power botton, the power light will come on and remains green (no battery light).

If you were an early fall 2007 G1G1 purchaser, an internal watch battery could be shaken out of its holder and "brick" the XO. This does not appear to be your case since you see a red light on trying to upgrade.

Your history and symptoms strongly suggest a dead battery. Replacements are available through third party venders. The battery is not needed for normal operation, but is needed during an upgrade.
ncarrol

Postby BenT » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks for your help.

I have a feeling that mine has been 'bricked' - I literally get no lights or any feedback at all. I've been reading the docs - is there anything that can be done?
BenT

Postby ncarrol » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:17 am

BenT:

Your case appears different from ericnoel's. You get no flash of any indicaltor lights when you remove the battery and then plug in the power module -- is that right ?

The only suggestion, other than repair service, is to try another battery while the power supply is disconnected. The dead battery may have damaged the power module. Any XO user near you ?

Also, just try removing your battery temporarily and then replacing it (if you have not already done that). There are anecdotal cases of this resetting the electronic controller (which is a good thing).

That's all I have -- nate
ncarrol

Postby gamemaniac » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:27 am

Even I had the same problem with my XO few days back and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gamemaniac

Postby JohnB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I have the same issue. Purchased in December 2007. It has been in the box for over a year with the battery removed. It was working just find when I put it in storage. My granddaughter is now old enough to use it, so I got it out today. Installed the battery and battery light came on. I connected the power adapter and turned it on. Both the Battery and power LED's turn on, but nothing else. Hold the power button down turns off the power light. The screen is black (never even see a flash) and I don't hear any sound. Is it possible that the internal battery is already dead?

If so, where is it located? I read that early systems were toast if this battery goes dead. If that is the case is there any method of recovery?

Thanks for any help.

John
JohnB

Postby JohnB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm

OK, I did some additional research and found this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=430&p=533274#p533274

I dismantled the X0 and connected a serial port to reset the RTC. All is well know. I was surprised to find that the RTC backup battery is rechargeable, I had expected to find a primary battery. That is why the voltage got too low, rechargeable batteries don't hold their charge for long periods of time.

Next step is to update the firmware to eliminate this issue.

John
JohnB

Return to Hardware