Is this brick or not?

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Is this brick or not?

Postby tyrant » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 pm

I just got the laptop from ebay and it have a classic RTC clock symptom, no backlight, no chime, power/battry LED work normally, microphone LED flash for a split second, but it don't boot up. The
seller said it work before he shipped(it run Sugar) So the problem seem to be the clock battery become loose during shipping.

The laptop come from the first G1G1 program. However, the seller said he upgraded once in 2008 (I'm trying to confirm it now) Then may be it just don't work because the clock have no power, not brick.

So, I wonder if the laptop can be operate without the clock battery? If that the case then the problem may be something else.
tyrant

Re: Is this brick or not?

Postby ncarrol » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:03 pm

If the previous user upgraded, the RTC clock problem (very old firmware problem) will not occur, although I guess the clock battery could fall out (any rattle?), but this will not brick the XO.

Since you see the microphone light flash, it suggests that the software may have may have become corrupted during shipping. There were some such problems during last G1G1 (during winter).

Suggest you try doing a clean install from USB drive:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_upgrade

Very simple if you have a access to PC or Mac on internet to download the images to a USB drive.
Then put drive in XO and hold down all four game keys (under right speaker) while powering on.
ncarrol

Postby tyrant » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm

I opened the xo and ,to my surprise, the battery is still intact, as seen here.

Image Image

So the battery didn't pop out during shipping. Then what could be the problem?
tyrant

Postby tyrant » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:07 pm

OK, I got it working. It seem like the clock battery drain out (the seller didn't charge it before shipping) After charging the clock battery it work again.
tyrant

Postby ektoric » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 am

That's great! Good thing that the seller was able to update the firmware before the battery went out!

Also, those batteries are not rechargeable batteries. They're supposed to last "a long time" since they're not running anything more power intensive than a digital watch (decidedly much less than a digital watch!). But there's always the possibility of a random bad battery.
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Hardware