"Fix Clock" fix isn't working

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

"Fix Clock" fix isn't working

Postby Mercury » Mon May 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello to the world.
I recently obtained a second XO-1 from a cousin, and it has developed the RTC clock issue (Luckily, my first was upgraded before developing the problem). The battery was checked and is fine, but I'm having trouble resetting the RTC. When I use the serial terminal, any commands sent to the computer don't do anything to the XO, and the d6.py script seems to be stuck in a loop whenever used. It will continue to create lines and will run until halted by Ctrl-C. Meanwhile, the XO just sits there, without any response or sounds. Thank you in advance to whoever takes time to help.
-J
Mercury

Re: "Fix Clock" fix isn't working

Postby ncarrol » Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 pm

More information please.

First, what serial adapter (USB to serial assumed) are you using to the internal XO-1 serial port. It must be 3.3 volt version -- 5 volt version will not work. Are you using a null modem cable with just 3 wires ? If you are using Hyperterminal on PC, then what virtual com port number has been assigned to the hardware and then used in Hyperterminal? Do you have right parameters: 115 k baud, 8 bits, no parity, software handshake ?

Second, what computer / communication software are you using to communicate with XO-1 (something else besides d6.py). You hook up all hardware, start communication computer and software, and then turn on XO-1. Do you see the starup lines coming from the XO-1 ?

Since you have the second working XO-1, you can use it with minicom software as the communication software.
ncarrol

Postby Mercury » Mon May 28, 2012 8:32 pm

ncarrol-
The serial adapter is a SiLabs CP2102 UART bridge. Also, all of the parameters for Hyperterminal match those provided from the OLPC wiki. The computer I was using as a debugger was a Compaq Presario from 2007. It is running Kubuntu 10.04 (can't update). Startup lines appeared on both Hyperterminal and the d6.py output. Also, how do you set up Minicom? I could not get it to connect to the bricked XO. I do not have the developer's key, is it required? d6 seemed to hang on the disable-security command, so I have the feeling that it has something to do with it.
Thank you!
-J
Mercury

Postby ncarrol » Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Here is a section from an older version of the Fix_clock ( see http://xoshare.org/mi )
Getting to the prompt
All these commands are typed on the "other" laptop that is connected serially to the one with the bad clock

Power on the laptop under test. You should see "Page Fault" on the serial terminal, followed by an "ok" prompt. If you don't see "Page Fault", there are several possibilities:
If you don't see anything on the serial terminal, either
The serial terminal is not connected correctly, or
Something else is wrong with the machine - the machine is quite quite dead and it's not an instance of the symptom 1 RTC problem.
If you see a lot of startup messages, but the last one isn't "Page Fault" followed by "ok", then the machine is largely working, but the problem is not symptom 1 RTC problem. If the screen comes on, you should be following the "Developer Key Procedure" below, not this serial procedure.
To set the date, do the following commands at the ok prompt (hitting enter after each one):
ok select /rtc
ok decimal
ok sec min hour day month year set-time
sec, min, hour, day, etc in the previous command should be numbers correlating to the current date. For the current time:
ok 36 01 01 2 12 2009 set-time
As I understand your post, you are getting the startup but it never stops with "Page Fault", so the XO is largely working. This also implies that your serial communication is working.

Supposedly you can type "i" right away to interrupt, but I can rarely get it to stop this way.
I have had an XO that would not stop with "Page Fault", but had other OFW problems that prevented it from booting -- could not fix.

On the second XO, you can "yum install" minicom (as "su"). The setup is given in the above link.

Finally, most serial devices have LED's on the transmit and receive lines. Generally when you press return on the computer running the communication software, the transmit light will flash and is a pretty good indication that you are sending to the XO ( although you could still have a bad hardware connection). I will try to look up your device.

So, it looks like this is not a RTC problem but will still give you the symptom (one very, very brief flash of the microphone LED on power on). Please confirm your symptoms.

A developer key is not need for any of this. minicom should be installed and run while logged in as "su". The drivers for your device may not be included in the XO linux kernel. The drivers for FTDI chips widely used in serial adapters is in the XO kernel. Security disabled or enabled should not be a problem in any of these procedures -- do not understand effect on d6.py .

Does any of this make sense for your situation ?
ncarrol

Return to Hardware