screen does not come on

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

screen does not come on

Postby llc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 pm

on the theory that the EC has a glitch, i have removed all power as instructed
(ie removed battery, charger & powercord) twice - the battery light
is on, the power light comes on when i hit the power button, but
the display has never come on - is there anything more i can do
or do i have a dead laptop??
:cry:
llc

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Same problem here. I actually got mine to boot and it was working fine, but now "dead" again...

[olpc-community-support] screen does not come on

Postby chihyu at mit.edu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi there,

Could you please tell us what happened between "it was working fine"
and "now dead again"?
For example, did you open any activity, or did you manually reboot the
machine (by mouse click or holding down the power button, etc.)?

Thanks a lot!
Chih-yu

On Dec 20, 2007 12:19 PM, Anonymous <community-support@lists.laptop.org> wrote:
Same problem here. I actually got mine to boot and it was working fine, but now "dead" again...

chihyu at mit.edu

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Well, I'm not sure.

I had been using it fine - video, paint, www browser, etc all worked fine. I shutdown (don't recall if it was via the shutdown mouse click or via power button.)

I came back to the machine 30 min later, and I can't seem to get it to boot up. The power light turns on when press the power button, and goes off again when I press it again.

I've tried removing the battery and un/plugging it in, but the only sign of life is that the battery lamp lights when it's plugged in, and the power cycles as I've mentioned above.

I didn't do anything potentially dangerous (software changes, etc).

Thanks
Matt

I have a dead notebook as well.

Postby pipc » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi,

I too have a dead one.

When I turn it 'on', the battery and power light come on normally (as indicated here
http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/t ... html#power); but the laptop does nothing.

I also tried to reset the EC as indicated here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#M ... t_power_on

I sent a message to service@laptopgiving.org and I got an automatic reply saying that they will look into the problem in 3-5 days.

I was thinking of trying upgrading the laptop on the theory that perhaps the software was not properly installed (as indicated here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Upg ... ted_Laptop)
Has anyone tried that?

Very depressing. I am certain that they will replace it but sounds like it may be another 3 month wait :(.

-Pip
pipc

Postby matt91 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Pip -
How would you upgrade the laptop? Yours, like mine, is completely dead, right?

Matt
matt91

Postby pipc » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:02 pm

Matt --

I doubt it would work because the laptop seems completely dead. I was thinking of doing the steps under the heading Upgrade the Activated Laptop here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Upg ... ted_Laptop.

My understanding is this is a method to restore the laptop to its factory configuration as described under the heading How can I restore my Give1Get1 XO to its factory configuration? here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#M ... t_power_on

However, 'm a little reluctant to do much before I hear from support because honestly I don't know what I am doing.

-Pip
pipc

Postby matt91 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Interesting.

I just tried booting up with the four game buttons pushed (per the directions) just to see if anything came up on the screen - and nothing. I didn't have a memory stick in the USB, but I would have thought *something* would come up regardless.

I sent off an email to "service", if for no other reason but to ensure that this is officially registered in the system.

Hopefully someone has some ideas.

Matt
matt91

screen does not come on

Postby mamei52 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:29 pm

Hello,

It seems that I am not the only one whos laptop is DOA (dead on arrival). I received my XO on the 17th of December, unpacked it and connected it according to the recommended procedure. I inserted the battery, connected power supply and switched it on via power button.

Result: NOTHING!! No beep, no display, no other boot activity.

I tried to get the XO started by resetting the EC as mention in the troubleshooting guide several times but with no success at all.

I would like to know if there is anybody who knows about a fix for this obviously not so rare problem. I really would like to get the little thing working since I am too curious about it.

I also placed a service call to get a RMA. After a wait of over one hour I told them my problem and was advised that somebody would call me back. So far I was not called back and it may take a few more days I guess as somebody mentioned above.

So my hope is that somebody comes up with a solution for this NO BOOT problem.

Thanks for any help!!
mamei52

Postby chihyu at mit.edu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi mamei52,

I am sorry to hear what happened to your laptop... Have you tried
sending email to
service@laptopgiving.org or
help@laptop.org ?

You might get a response sooner via email.

Good luck!
Chih-yu

On Dec 20, 2007 2:29 PM, mamei52 <mamei@netzero.com> wrote:
Hello,

It seems that I'm not the only one who's laptop is DOA (dead on arrival). I received my XO on the 17th of December, unpacked it and connected it according to the recommended procedure. I inserted the battery, connected power supply and switched it on via power button.

Result: NOTHING!! No beep, no display, no other boot activity.

I tried to get the XO started by resetting the EC as mention in the troubleshooting guide several times but with no success at all.

I would like to know if there is anybody who knows about a fix for this obviously not so rare problem. I really would like to get the little thing working since I'm too curious about it.

I also placed a service call to get a RMA. After a wait of over one hour I told them my problem and was advised that somebody would call me back. So far I wasn't called back it may take a few more days I guess as somebody mentioned above.

So my hope is that somebody comes up with a solution for this "no boot" problem.

Thanks for any help!!
[Crying or Very sad]

chihyu at mit.edu

Same No Boot Problem here

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:53 pm

Well at least I know I'm not the only one with this problem, that' somewhat reassuring. Very disappointing though...

Postby mburns » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:04 pm

On Dec 20, 2007 4:53 PM, Anonymous <community-support@lists.laptop.org (community-support@lists.laptop.org)> wrote:

Well at least I know I'm not the only one with this problem, that' somewhat reassuring. Very disappointing though...

Having broken hardware is never fun. Hopefully we'll be able to resolve this issue with you shortly.

Keep in mind, even if our Mass Production monitor assembly process were 99.99% reliable, shipping the G1G1 machines alone would get upwards of 5 Dead On Arrival screens. As I've heard, the XO is one of the easiest to manufacture laptops, and our production quality has been above average, but there are always kinks in the system at the scale of 50,000-500,000 or more.

Cheers!

--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab
mburns
Support Team

Postby jg at laptop.org » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:55 pm

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 00:53 +0000, Anonymous wrote:

Remember, many thousands of machines have been unpacked in the last few
days; a few dead machines are likely. What we don't have insight into
until we get some returns back for failure analysis and/or data from the
return process is if there is anything statistically unusual going on.

Sorry you are having problems, in any case.
- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child

jg at laptop.org

screen does not come on

Postby llc » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:55 am

if your xo is doa, don't expect that calling customer service at 8002017144
will get you a rma and shipping address - after 1 1/2 hrs on hold,
someone will take your name, email address and phone number -
then in 7-10 days someone will call you back with the return
information - i understand that this is a nonprofit but as jim
mentioned until they get the dead ones returned, they will not
know what's wrong - and they don't make that easy
llc

Re: screen does not come on

Postby Jase » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:41 pm

llc wrote:if your xo is doa, don't expect that calling customer service at 8002017144
will get you a rma and shipping address - after 1 1/2 hrs on hold,
someone will take your name, email address and phone number -
then in 7-10 days someone will call you back with the return
information

Wow, you actually got them to take down your information? After an punishing wait, I was told that I couldn't be helped until I emailed the tech email addy first.

Note to anyone at OLPC: I can understand that a few DOA units will end up in the hands of donors, and that as a non-profit you aren't really staffed for customer service, but is having everyone wait on the phone only to be told to go somewhere else really a better way than, I dunno, putting up-to-date instructions on your website ?

Edited by phigan: I know a lot of emails have been misdirected at the tech address you mentioned, so I'd like to keep it off the forum/list until everything is sorted out
Jase

Next

Return to Hardware