TMobile Connection Help

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

TMobile Connection Help

Postby JaneInIndy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm

I have saved the above information in Publisher. I am even a newer beginner. I have been to a hotspot, turned on the XO, found TMobile, which is free to XO members for a year, and clicked on it several times and waited. I understand that I should go onto the Web at this point, if I am not mistaken. It seems there is something else to do to make this happen. I went to a different hotspot, and found many locked access points (9) plus two mesh and two hotspots, one was TMobile. I spent an hour trying to contact either a mesh or the T-mobile point. I didn't see any other XOs so I assume the other laptops were private. What am I missing? Is it because I may be the only one in Indiana? Thanks so very, very much for help. JaneB
JaneInIndy

Postby ektoric » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Jane,

In the Neighborhood view, when you click on T-Mobile circle, does the outline turn white? When it turns white, it means you have connected to T-Mobile wifi. Now you need to log in to T-Mobile for them to connect you to the Internet.

From the Home View, open the Browse Activity. Attempt to go to a URL (any URL, or just google search something). This should attempt to connect to the T-Mobile server and allow you to log in. After you log in, you will be able to browse the web as you are now connected to the internet.

For what you want to do, please ignore the Mesh points.
Last edited by ektoric on Fri May 30, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby JaneInIndy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:09 pm

This is in response to yesterday's post, I believe by Peter:
[Open Terminal and type]: I opened by Control, Alt, Neighborhood, got :
OLPC build 650 (stream ship.2: varient devel.1)
Kernel 2.6.22-2007121.7.olpc af3dd731d18bc 39 on an i.586I was to try:
[nm-tool ] did not get the listed figures. then:
[ping yahoo.com] did not get any familiar then:
[wget yahoo.com] did not get anythere here either.

I was asked to log in, I did, with JaneInIndy, and for my password, I gave it several times, always told it was incorrect. There was a statement about [you are probably a DSLcustomer suffering from the IP6vs IP4 problem - your DSL modem needs a firmware update].
This may be true, and I do use Comcast hook-up on my IBM WIN XP home.

If anyone sees the post I responded to, above. have I given revealing information that tells me where to go next? This material was all off-web, as I understand it, at least not at T-mobile.
Thanks again.
JaneInIndy

Postby JaneInIndy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Dear ektoric: I've had what appeared to be mesh give me a white outline, but not Tmobile. If I should have that happen, what do I do to Log In? My only way to get to the screen thus far has been using Control Alt Neighborhood. My perception is that I am not getting onto the Web.

T appreciate you response, tho, thanks very much for your time.
JaneInIndy

Postby ektoric » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 pm

JaneInIndy;1120 wrote:This is in response to yesterday's post, I believe by Peter:
[Open Terminal and type]: I opened by Control, Alt, Neighborhood, got :
OLPC build 650 (stream ship.2: varient devel.1)
Kernel 2.6.22-2007121.7.olpc af3dd731d18bc 39 on an i.586I was to try:
[nm-tool ] did not get the listed figures. then:
[ping yahoo.com] did not get any familiar then:
[wget yahoo.com] did not get anythere here either.

I was asked to log in, I did, with JaneInIndy, and for my password, I gave it several times, always told it was incorrect.

Jane,
Sometimes we assume things that we take for granted, and I truely apologize for that.
1) [Open Terminal] - This usually mean to open the Terminal Activity. In the Home view, if you scroll to the right, you will see the icon with "$_" in it. That is the Terminal Activity. This will bring you to what's called a shell. At the beginning you will be logged in as the "olpc" user at the shell. For most adminstrative things, you will need to be the super user "root", so at this prompt, type "su -". You are now logged in as root in the shell.

1a) Alternatively, you can bring up a virtual terminal by ctrl-alt-neighborhood. This will ask you for a login. Using username "root", you can log in without a password. This is not the place to enter your T-Mobile username/password.

2) Once you are in the "terminal" logged in as the root user, you will get a prompt that looks something like "bash-3.2 # ". Both paths should lead you to this point. At this prompt is where you type the nm-tool, ping, and wget commands.

JaneInIndy;1120 wrote:I've had what appeared to be mesh give me a white outline, but not Tmobile. If I should have that happen, what do I do to Log In? My only way to get to the screen thus far has been using Control Alt Neighborhood. My perception is that I am not getting onto the Web.

In the Neighborhood view where you see the mesh in white outline, please ignore that for your purposes.

I assume you are near a T-Mobile Hotspot. Are you attempting to connect at home or at a Starbucks / Borders / other T-Mobile hotspot location? If there are no circles labeled T-Mobile, please physically walk closer to their hotspot router. It may be a signal strength issue. If you are sure you should be able to get a signal but still can't see a T-Mobile circle, try rebooting. For now, we will assume you can see a T-Mobile circle. If you cannot, please let me know and we can go a different path to help debug the situation =) Please tell us everything you see in the Neighborhood view, in that case.

In the Neighborhood view, look for the T-Mobile circle and click on it. It should begin blinking. When it stops blinking, it should have a while circle around it. If it doesn't, simply try again. Sometimes it takes more than one try to connect.

Once you have a while outline around the T-Mobile circle, come back to the Home view.
* Launch the Browse activity and attempt to google search something (anything).
* This should bring up the T-Mobile sign-in page. This is where you enter your T-Mobile username and password.
* After you sign in, you should be connected to the web!
ektoric
Support Team

Re: TMobile Connection Help

Postby JaneInIndy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks very much for all the helpful information. May I ask another question? I DID get through using T-mobile. It was attached to a mesh, or a mesh was attached to it. I believe I read somewhere that when I got a mesh open I would receive upgrades. Am I correct? How would I know if I received one? Thanks again for your patience with me. JaneB
JaneInIndy

Postby ektoric » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:37 pm

JaneInIndy wrote:I DID get through using T-mobile. It was attached to a mesh, or a mesh was attached to it.

I'm sorry, that doesn't compute. "Mesh" and "T-mobile hotspot" are mutually exclusive. Perhaps the confusing point is that both "mesh points" and "access points" (like tmobile hotspots) appear in the Neighborhood view with the same circles and look like each other. Please try to distinguish between the two as the vocabulary of "mesh" has special meaning, and if used incorrectly can be very confusing :cry:

JaneInIndy wrote:I believe I read somewhere that when I got a mesh open I would receive upgrades. Am I correct? How would I know if I received one?

You do not receive anything by virtue of just being connected. If you want to get an upgrade, you have to manually start that process.

JaneInIndy wrote:How would I know if I received one?

You can see what version of the OS you have by various ways. The quickest is to open a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-neighborhood), and see the "650" or "653" number. If you have completed your upgrade, that number will indicate your upgraded OS version.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby JaneInIndy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks again for all your very needed help. Again I have a question:

Must I use TMobile to connect with a mesh? And yes, I did hit on a T-mobile-mesh seemingly connected--one below the other. apparently my mistake. I will try again. Thanks, JaneB :oops:

PS: What is BB code?
JaneInIndy

Postby Nayantara » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:48 pm

JaneInIndy wrote:Thanks again for all your very needed help. Again I have a question:

Must I use TMobile to connect with a mesh? And yes, I did hit on a T-mobile-mesh seemingly connected--one below the other. apparently my mistake. I will try again. Thanks, JaneB :oops:

PS: What is BB code?

No. They are 2 different types of access.
You can go to the Neighbourhood View and click on a circle icon representing a connection and if you see a "Disconnect" in the Menu that appears - clicking on it will (as you guess) disconnect.

:cry:
Be wary of using Public hotspots (like TMobile, Starbucks access points) to carry out financial (shopping/banking) activity - There have been reports of people setting themselves up as bogus TMo hot-spots to capture/hijack network traffic.
See this http://www.google.com/search?q=bogus%20hot-spots and this http://www.pctoday.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2007/t0506/03t06/03t06.asp&guid=

Reg. BB Code - It stands for Bulletin Board Code, it is the code used to tag text posted here with formatting or other web goodies like links, etc. The toolbar on the screen when you post messages inserts these when you click on them. More info. here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
Gave 13-Nov-2007, Got 3-Jan-2008.
Nayantara

Postby ektoric » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:51 pm

JaneInIndy wrote:Must I use TMobile to connect with a mesh? And yes, I did hit on a T-mobile-mesh seemingly connected--one below the other.

Definitions:
* Mesh
* Hotspot a.k.a. Access Point
* Wi-Fi a.k.a. wireless.
TMobile wifi service is provided via Hotspot access points. And "hotspot" and "mesh" is mutually exclusive. There is no such thing as a "T-mobile-mesh", and one does not use "TMobile to connect with a mesh".

One does use TMobile wi-fi. One does connect to TMobile via wifi.

Perhaps what's confusing is that both Mesh and Hotspots are wireless. If I may make a poor analogy, "wireless" is like "language". "Hotspot" is like English, and "Mesh" is like Chinese. Hotspot is wireless, like English is a language. Mesh is wireless, like Chinese is a language. You don't connect to a hotspot-mesh, in the same way that you don't speak English to speak Chinese.

Forgive me if I'm sounding anal (I'm not trying to be! honest! :x ), but it's important we're using the same words to mean the same things. Otherwise there we can't communicate, and we can't understand each other to help each other. :P

P.S. And besides, the XO is all about learning! So what's to prevent us US folks from learning some tech vocabulary! :lol:
Last edited by ektoric on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:54 pm

On the otherhand, if you're asking if you need to use TMobile to wirelessly connect to the internet, then the answer is no. You can connect to a variety of available access points or hotspots.

Many establishments these days provide free wireless. You may connect to their hotspots. If you have a cablemodem or DSL at home (or some other internet access), you may set up your own wireless accesspoint and connect to the internet through it.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby JaneInIndy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 am

Thank you so very much for straightening me out on that. You've made it clear. Now, I do have cable, right where I am typing to you. What do I need to get for OX to use it? Or is the aerial on th OX enough? :oops: JaneB
JaneInIndy

Postby ektoric » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:06 pm

JaneInIndy wrote:I do have cable, right where I am typing to you.

If you have a cablemodem, check first to see if it is wireless. Chances are it's not, but some providers like TimeWarner do provide a wireless router with their cablemodem.

Assuming your cablemodem is not wireless, you will need to get a wireless router / wireless access point. These are available in most electronic shops like Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA (if they weren't out of business, that is), etc. Almost any of them will work, but if you're paranoid, check the XO Wireless Access Point Compatibility list.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby SLNT34 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 am

I just signed up for the free t-mobile hotspot and I'm as lost as anyone who is just getting into this. Just to piggy back on everyone else's question and comments, you do not need to type in an password to connect to the internet if there is free wifi such as starbucks, or the airport, etc? I believe someone had commented and said that there will be a circle on the neighborhod page displaying the t-mobile spot? So I'm taking it I need to click that to access the internet correct? I just need conformation.
SLNT34

Postby ektoric » Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 am

SLNT34 wrote:Just to piggy back on everyone else's question and comments, you do not need to type in an password to connect to the internet if there is free wifi such as starbucks, or the airport, etc?

SLNT34 wrote:So I'm taking it I need to click that to access the internet correct? I just need conformation.

These comments are just begging for clarification. Just like how the computer less-literate is begging for clearer directions, the computer snob-literates like me just want to clarify and explain all this handwaving. But I'm sure your question has nothing to do with actually wanting to know what an internetwork is vs. an intranetwork.

So short answer: No, many don't require you to enter an access point password. No, starbucks tmobile hotposts aren't free. Maybe, some airports have free wireless internet while others contract out to pay service. Yes, you still need to type in a password to authorize on a pay service, usually through their web interface. Yes, you click on the circles to associate with an access point.

Now, if you really want to know what the real explanation, please ask and I (or we) would be happy to expand on the difference between access point, network, intranet, and internet.
ektoric
Support Team

Next

Return to Networking / Internet