Connecting Problems With Home Wireless Networks

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Re: Connecting Problems With Home Wireless Networks

Postby rck » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:48 pm

I have WPA2 personal working, after a few tries. I am using a Linksys WRT54G router.
Initially, with software build 650, I was able to connect with security disabled, or with WEP using the hexadecimal version of my password, which was generated by the Linksys router, but I couldn't connect using WPA or WPA2.
I upgraded online from software build 650 to 656. There were two automatic retries, but finally it made it. It also upgraded my firmware.
At this point, I couldn't connect using WPA or WPA2. I noticed that the neighborhood view showed my SSID as unlocked, so I changed the name of my SSID. The SSID then showed up as locked, but I still couldn't connect, even after multiple tries using my WPA password.
Next, I registered for T-mobile and used one of their hotspots. This required entering a password. (T-mobile is unprotected, unless you download their WPA software -- which is available only for Windows.)
After this, I was able to use my home router with WPA2, and browse the web with the XO computer.
I can't explain why the above steps worked -- maybe something to do with clearing out the old WEP password? Maybe it's just a coincidence?
rck

Postby XOaloha » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:07 pm

HELP! I have never been able to connect my XO to our home wireless router which is NOT encrypted and has no firewall. I also can no longer see or connect to the neighbors' wireless connections which used to be how I could use my XO.

I have downloaded & installed the latest operating system & was able to connect to the neighbor's systems for about 2 or 3 days but haven't been able to connect o anything for over a week now. HELP!

XOaloha
XOaloha

Postby XOaloha » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 pm

I re-installed the OS 656 just now but still can't connect to anything at all. Very frustrated as the XO is not nearly as useful if it has no internet connection. :?: :? HELP! XOaloha
XOaloha

Postby brisalta » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:04 pm

XOaloha wrote:HELP! I have never been able to connect my XO to our home wireless router which is NOT encrypted and has no firewall. I also can no longer see or connect to the neighbors' wireless connections which used to be how I could use my XO.

I have downloaded & installed the latest operating system & was able to connect to the neighbor's systems for about 2 or 3 days but haven't been able to connect o anything for over a week now. HELP!

XOaloha

Do you have your home wireless router set to either channel 1, 6 or 11 ?
brisalta

Postby XOaloha » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:58 pm

No, I don't. I thought that 1, 6 and 11 are just placeholders & don't really have any function that anyone can use anyway.

My husband reset our home router so it's broadcasting & we can connect to that only but none of the neighbor's broadcast internet services. How do we connect WITHOUT broadcasting?
Thanks!

XOaloha
XOaloha

Postby brisalta » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm

XOaloha wrote:No, I don't. I thought that 1, 6 and 11 are just placeholders & don't really have any function that anyone can use anyway.

My husband reset our home router so it's broadcasting & we can connect to that only but none of the neighbor's broadcast internet services. How do we connect WITHOUT broadcasting?
Thanks!

XOaloha

Well then try setting your home router to channel 1, 6 or 11.
brisalta

Postby XOaloha » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Hubby set it to 11, but would prefer that XO can look for SSIDs instead of having to have them broadcast. Is that something that is being worked on by the support folks?

XOaloha
XOaloha

Postby gruuk » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:42 am

XOaloha wrote:Hubby set it to 11, but would prefer that XO can look for SSIDs instead of having to have them broadcast. Is that something that is being worked on by the support folks?

XOaloha

In the meantime, you could set up the router for only the MAC (Media Access Control) addresses of your home computers; while this method isn't perfect, it does help limiting access to only the computers you know about. These addresses are unique to all networking devices and using them helps keep unwanted company out,

MAC addresses look like this: 0B-21-89-AD-48-B8 (not a real one, I just typed randomly) and you can get them by typing ifconfig in linux or ipconfig in Windows at the command line.

This method, just like hiding the SSID, only makes it harder for uninvited guests to connect to your wireless network; however, neither is really secure, as both are broadcasted anyway when you're using your connection (it is possible to fake MAC addresses). The only security measure that really works with wifi is using WPA (or even better, WPA2); anything else you do, short of going back to a wired connection, will only deter those who aren't truly motivated to connect.
gruuk

Postby XOaloha » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks--don't know why I can't "see" other wireless connections any more now that I've upgraded to the highest OS available on the XO. Have never seen a T-mobile hotspot to connect to, for example, even at the mall which has a Starbucks, Barnes & Noble & T-Mobile store. What's wrong?
XOaloha
XOaloha

Postby gruuk » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm

XOaloha wrote:Thanks--don't know why I can't "see" other wireless connections any more now that I've upgraded to the highest OS available on the XO. Have never seen a T-mobile hotspot to connect to, for example, even at the mall which has a Starbucks, Barnes & Noble & T-Mobile store. What's wrong?
XOaloha

I wonder if you're having problems with your networks.cfg file.

In terminal, type the following line and press enter:
rm /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg

Then press ctrl-alt-erase; this will restart sugar and hopefully you'll be able to see those hotspots (they may take a few seconds or a minute or two to show up).
gruuk

Postby Hesperion » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:45 pm

I hate to beat this to death here but, I am not finding anything about my specific issues. I opened this XO up today for the 1st time. Just poking around as novice to both XO AND Linux I found that everything worked well. I viewed the HOME screen it showed the battery icon in the lower half and to the right and left of that there were 2 circle that related to the mesh network i was connected to and the other related to wireless networks. I viewed the NEIGHBORHOOD screen and it showed a number of mesh clients and a few wireless networks that were in range. One of them was my own displaying my SSID. I bring up th box to connect to it and the choose the Hex (40/128-bit) choice. I typed in the hex key for my 128 WEP network (it is an open system) but the OK button is grayed out. In fact the only choice that allows you to press OK is the pass phrase option which I would not know (Duh, if that's obvious to you geniuses). I did try using the pass phrase with the hex key which, not surprisingly, did not work. It would think it over for a while and return the screen to enter the key again. I full reset the router and reconfigured it (I was putting off doing that anyhow, giving the network a new name (ssid)) once i had reestablished connectivity on the network i again checked the XO and found the new network shown on the NEIGHBORHOOD screen. Same result, can not select OK after entering the hex key. BTW, when viewing the HOME screen now the circle related to wireless network is not there, only the one about the mesh. This is without doubt a problem of ignorance but I refrained from doing anything intrusive before researching this. If it is a question of configuring the XO for the network manually then so be it. If there is already a thread addressing this then please refer me and accept my apology. I have a lot to learn I know but this hurdle will be a big one. The rest I think I can get. Thanks...
Hesperion

Postby Hesperion » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:57 am

I am seeing that the learning curve with these is pretty daunting if you don't do a lot of reading of everything you can get your hands on. I had a connectivity problem to my home network. What I had was similar, though not in every respect, to those I am reading here.

I had some settings wrong in my own network controls that needed to be corrected. Still no joy. I did 2 things that were suggested and now have good consistent connection:

1) I dropped the firewall of my router. This is nice to have and you should use your own judgement. I have 128bitWEP encryption anyhow so it is protected from outside fairly well.

2) I manually input the MAC address of the XO into my admin. controls for the network. To find the MAC address of your unit go to Terminal Activities and after the string ($) symbol type:

/sbin/ifconfig -a eth0

this will display the HWAddr or MAC address of the XO type this into your MAC address controls for your router as an allowed machine.

3)delete a possibly corrupted network config file in Terminal activities type:

$ rm /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg

then restart the XO by typing: Ctrl-Alt-Erase

then go to the neighborhood view and click on your network and input the passphrase or access code (in my case it was WEP 128bit hex key for and open network) My problem was solved. Good strong consistent internet connection. Have not tried the T-mobile approach yet
but don't see any reason it would a problem.

I know for some of you this will be like...duhh...but it might help someone else so I am putting it here.

Have fun.
Hesperion

Postby jhidary » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:39 pm

I have been having trouble connecting to the internet as well.
Instead of WEP, I use WPA
I type in the passphrase and when I click ok, nothing happens, it does not connect.
I have also tried the algorithm option given in the manual. No luck
jhidary

Postby Hesperion » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Believe me, I am not expert on this. Maybe someone more savvy will overhear and jump in. I just posted what worked for me. I will say too that I have had no trouble connecting since. Did you try any of the steps above? I am not sure of the ramifications of WAP over WEP. You can see about generating a passphrase for a hex key but not sure if that work the other way 'round. I suspect that bad command line I deleted was the thing that did it. I am not sure though since I violated a basic rule of troubleshooting by making more than one change at the same time without testing in between so I don' t know with certainty which step did the trick. Also carefully check your own network settings. I am finding by reading here and elsewhere that most of the connection problems are to found there and not with the XO itself. Look for anything that might be blocking, firewalling, not recognizing, or otherwise obstructing the connection with the XO. If you are sure that you have everything right you might try dropping all your security settings and see if that allows the connection. Of course, this leaves your network vulnerable but you can reset those after you check. Also check all the spelling and code you entered for errors. Don't be insulted because I myself was having trouble and happened to discover I had one character wrong in my hex key. Good luck. I hope if someone has anything to add, they post it.
Hesperion

Connecting Problems With WPA2 in build 656

Postby binaxo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:14 pm

I just cant get passed the 'Network Key Required' screen. No matter how many times I try entering the passphrase, it pops up again. I even tried manually typing the hex 64 bit key but still no luck. can anyone help? I had earlier tried using the manual wpa.sh script.

Thank you.
Bina
binaxo

PreviousNext

Return to Networking / Internet