Connecting Problems With Home Wireless Networks

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Postby Dian » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 am

okay just got off live chat with Linksys and they help me confirm I have up to 50 ip address, also confirmed key code. They say for some reason the xo is not associating wirelessly to the router even though I have the right key code. I think I may be out of options.
Dian

Postby peter » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 am

Did you try rebooting or power off/on the linksys?
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby Dian » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:03 am

Yes I did. No Luck
Dian

Postby Purplekat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 am

Dian, I had a similar problem. I COULD NOT get my XO to talk to my router, as long as the encryption was enabled. I'd try to log in, and no matter what I did, the system would reject my XO. I had no trouble logging in if the encryption was turned off.

Is that the case with you? If the encryption is off, can you log in? If so, I can haul Sam (the computer wiz fiance) over to tell you how he managed to set things up so that the XO could get in as if there was no encryption, but the encryption was turned on for everything else.
Purplekat

Postby Dian » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the info. I will be back in town tommorrow and will try. I have been able to connect to the internet by accessing and unsecured linksys system I picked up on at my sisters house. I was so surprised when I checked the neighborhood and found amongst several secured networks one unsecured and to my surprise I actually surfed the web. It was very slow, but it worked. Yeah for me. Thanks for the info I will let you know when I get home to my router and try it out. I also activated my TMobile account. I try to connect 6 hours after activiation, but no luck.
Dian

Postby Purplekat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:21 pm

I think that the TMobile thing only works at their 'hot spots' (ie, places where they have a wireless connection going).
Purplekat

Postby Dian » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks to all that helped me. I am acctually on line and writing from my xo. Yeah for me. I downlloaded via USB memory stick the 653 version. It worked and my router will now allow me to access the internet. Thanks for all your suggestions!!
Dian

Postby bell3156 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:24 pm

some one please help me..I need a tech guy or girl bell3156 on yahoo I cannot put an e-mail on here
bell3156

Web GUI

Postby luke4101 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Sorry, what is this? I'm trying to log in via a linksys wireless router and it won't take the encryption key I have.

Thanks, JaneL
luke4101

Postby peter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Dian it's good to see that version 653 fixed your problem.

Luke4101 try going over the steps in the first post of this thread and let us know whether it helps. You may be using the incorrect version of your password, or your software version may be too old.
peter

Postby myxe » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:04 pm

I was just about to post and say it "does not" connect with WPA encrypt on but I let it finish trying to connect to the "Mesh Network" and the it connected right up to my encrypted WPA.
myxe

unable to connect at home Help?

Postby ezkappdo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:30 am

unable to use linksys system at home which is NOT ENCRYPTED...XO says it is connected but no evidence of that on Penicillin program check of computers connected and no evidence from the XO itself...unable to use internet etc....PLUS every time it "connects" it seems to knock off and block every other computer in the house from their connection! Previous posts don't seem to address this problem. Plan to try T-Mobile hotspot soon to see if I can use it there. Any suggestions? Many of these posts beyond my experience level...
ezkappdo

Postby peter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:38 am

ezkappdo, I'd try upgrading to version 653 of the code using the the [url="http://www.olpchelp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168"]olpc-update command[/url]. Take special note of the part that says "DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR XO DURING THIS PROCESS"

Once you have upgraded successfully, try again. It should work.
peter

Postby ezkappdo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:02 am

peter;952 wrote:ezkappdo, I'd try upgrading to version 653 of the code using the the link for "OLPC update command". Take special note of the part that says "DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR XO DURING THIS PROCESS"

Once you have upgraded successfully, try again. It should work.

Sorry but not following...tried to go into write in journal and not seeming to be entering anything!? Now I went to the link and trying to type ($ su - ) in the open search bar...all that seems available, then enter and nothing happens...then tried (# olpc-update 653) ...maybe I'm slow or out of touch with what I am suppose to be doing...
ezkappdo

Postby peter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:13 am

Oh, you have to issue the commands in the terminal activity
You also need to have connectivity, which in retrospect is part of your problem. You may have to use the USB drive method.

Using the link I gave, what version of OLPC code are you running?
peter

PreviousNext

Return to Networking / Internet