Connecting Problems With Home Wireless Networks

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Postby ezkappdo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:19 am

from the display --650
I think I got into the terminal but it keeps asking for a login and password...never saw that before...do I need to get in?
ezkappdo

Postby peter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:57 am

You don't have to use a password. You can follow the steps to get back to the journal.

If you don't have network connectivity on the XO, I'd suggest trying the upgrade process described using a USB pen drive. Version 653 of the code fixes a number of problems, including networking issues.
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby ezkappdo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:27 pm

well I updated with my USB drive and got the build as 653. Unfortunately, no change in my situation. XO says it connects to my wireless, but still seems to knock all other computers off, yet when I try to Browse no luck and when I tried manual build in the terminal it is unable and tells me it does not think I am connected to the internet. Crazy!
ezkappdo

Have tried all three steps.

Postby kj10538 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:16 pm

Peter: We downloaded the two files to rewrite the disk. The bigger file wasn't recognized and the boot failed (sad face). We then used the NM tool. Our IP and DNS values are all zeroes. Also, the NM tool says that we are "connecting," not connected. We are trying to connect to a Linksys WEP encrypted router. Our OLPC firmware is version 650. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Karen
kj10538

Postby kj10538 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:52 pm

I should add that I AM able to connect to the internet on my XO via a T-Mobile hotspot. Since I'm having such a hard time upgrading from 650 to 653 using a USB stick (neither my MAC nor my PC recognize the downloaded files in order to save them to the USB stick), I'm wondering if there's a way to upgrade to 653 on my XO directly while I'm connected via a T-M hotspot.
Thanks!
Karen
kj10538

Postby ezkappdo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:08 pm

I know that I did it with the USB stick and actually reaccomplished it while connected through T Mobile which worked great... there are other threads that lay oyt how to do it..despite haveing the 653 build I and unable to connect at home with my linksys b wireless (and unencrypted) router network...it "seems" to connect but really doesn't, no internet connection and it also knocks all the other computers in my house off the network!...I still don't have an answer either...
ezkappdo

Postby peter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:26 pm

kj10538, you can try this link on how to [url="http://www.olpchelp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168"]upgrade your code to 653[/url].

Refer to the section that says
Code: Select all
olpc-update 653
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby kj10538 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:12 pm

I went to Starbucks and it took 3 hours but I was finally able to upgrade to 653 (doing a direct download when connected through a t-mobile hot spot)! Now I'm back home and I'm still unable to connect to my home Linksys router (64-bit WEP encrypted). I've tried typing in my password, my WEP key and the translated HEX version of both. I've tried the ASCII as well as the HEX and passphrase settings. When I check the nm path from terminal, the IP settings are still showing up as zeroes. Karen
kj10538

Postby jerry1cg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 pm

I was connected to my home Linksys wireless until I upgraded to the latest version 53 and now it won't connect. Are there any suggestions? When it has a space for passphrase is that for the "password" if the wireless contains a lock.
thanks
jerry
jerry1cg

Re: Connecting Problems With Home Wireless Networks

Postby rosepad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:09 pm

ok, here we go! wireless network problems with these computers. Home: we have a Blekin N1 router and are connetcted to Bellsouth (atlanta). the XO box prompts me for a 128 passphrase, yet the wireless setup is 64 bits.
someone at OLPC told me there are issues with belkin routers....
i am definately not a techie, but have set up 2 wireless networks at home and just completed marathon phone calls with Belkin tech support and with bellsouth tech support to fix our home laptops, as initially, when the xo boxes were on they corrputed the router and the wireless modem, both of which were replaced. we are still unable to get wireless on XO boxes.
have tried to link via ethernet and USB to the modem, no luck.
i am so far in the dark, have no experience with Linkys and desperatly want these units to be up an running for our children's sake and our own desire to use our home computers.
i would have thought that these units would have had a lot of troubleshooting sorted out by the time they rolled off the production line, particularly their wireless capability.
any help greatly appreciated.
rosepad
rosepad

Postby Ben James Ben » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:42 pm

If the router is a Linksys WRT54G, please see this discussion of the Lazy-WDS problem.

General tip: If your networking config used to work but then subsequently stops working, or if you are having problems and want to make sure you are starting off with a fresh config, you might want to try removing the networks.cfg file in case it contains any old, invalid configurations.
Code: Select all
$ rm /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg
Ben James Ben

Postby rosepad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:50 pm

i have been in correspondence with a wonderful person at volunteer OLPC who indicated to me that "The OS version that shipped with the G1G1 was 650 and did not support
WPA directly. There is an updated version 653"
so how do i update to this newer version and will it solve my problems.
rosepad
rosepad

Re: update method for solving probs w/ Home Wireless Networks

Postby Julseq » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:19 am

There are two update methods, Olpc-update and activated upgrade. Assuming you can do either, is one preferred? Please advise. Thanks!
Julseq

Postby rosepad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:28 pm

i took one of the XO boxes and connected to local wifi.
followed prompts for a manual upgrade to 653, but computer twice timed out. so once again at wit's end, but at least i can connect; but i am beginning to have second thaoughts about our decision to buy these units (3).
any more advice...more than appreciated!
rosepad

Postby franco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Rosepad,

rosepad wrote:i took one of the XO boxes and connected to local wifi.
followed prompts for a manual upgrade to 653, but computer twice timed out. any more advice...more than appreciated!

It took me three tries to upgrade. Third time it worked. Each time it went further.

Regarding the comment: "i would have thought that these units would have had a lot of troubleshooting sorted out by the time they rolled off the production line, particularly their wireless capability"...

They did connect to the internet wirelessly, but not to WPA encryption.

I did not have a problem with the fact that I could not connect to WPA and was willing to wait for the update (which was actually already posted on the internet). We Canadians/Americans are not the target audience and, defective units notwithstanding, as shipped it is a perfectly capable computer for the target audience who are not going to be worrying about not connecting to the internet.

I am very interested, however, in your comment that "when the xo boxes were on they corrupted the router and the wireless modem." Could you please explain how the XO ruined that equipment? This is the first time I have seen that mentioned.
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

PreviousNext

Return to Networking / Internet