upgrading from 650 to 653?

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

upgrading from 650 to 653?

Postby wanda » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:43 pm

I am trying to upgrade my son's XO from a 650 version to a 653. I have downloaded all the information to a USB stick now I have plugged it into the XO (while Following the upgrade directions) the XO while looking like it is upgrading is now telling me that there is a boot failure. Does this sound familiar to anyone and what can I do to correct that.

Thanks, Wanda
wanda

Re: upgrading from 650 to 653?

Postby dbirk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:02 am

The XO laptop is fickle with respect to which USB memory stick it will accept for loading builds.
Kingston DataTraveler 2GB is out. It works for regular e-Book loads.
I found that the VGi Mobile Disk 1GB worked for build 656.
I used a SanDisk Cruzer micro 1.0GB for build 653.

It may not even be the make, but the actual stick. Apparently, quality control on these memory sticks has deteriorated as the price fell. Try a few.

I hope those needy kids in Afghanistan have a good computer store in the next mud hut and a second computer running Windows XP wired to Internet for the download.
dbirk

Postby Nayantara » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:53 am

dbirk wrote:I hope those needy kids in Afghanistan have a good computer store in the next mud hut....

A flippant note - :oops: Defense Grade USB drives are available in Afghan markets, see this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4905052.stm and this http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2006-08-15-thumbdrives-stolen_x.htm
On topic - I have had consistently good results upgrading using a SD Card via a USB Card reader, so if you have a SD card that works well with the XO try the upgrade using that card on a USB Memory Card Reader. As low as $5 in some places http://www.supermediastore.com/cardreader.html
Gave 13-Nov-2007, Got 3-Jan-2008.
Nayantara

Postby dbirk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 am

Yes my remark was sarcastic. But your suggestion that the children receiving our donated XO laptops can buy stolen US Military memory sticks at Afghan markets to fix their XO is chilling.
dbirk

Postby Nayantara » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:26 am

dbirk wrote:Yes my remark was sarcastic. But your suggestion that the children receiving our donated XO laptops can buy stolen US Military memory sticks at Afghan markets to fix their XO is chilling.

I am sorry that my post "offended" you. I must point out that I did not suggest (or mean to) that they should buy stolen goods - it was purely a retort to your remark, which I perceived to be a cheap shot at the OLPC project.

The OLPC project is a work in process, we have received no reports from users in other countries (credible or otherwise) that they are having major issues. In fact I read of a 5 year old Nigerian girl who repairs her mates OLPC's http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/eco-friendly/olpc-laptop-repair-460201

I do not want to hijack this thread or start a flame war, so this will be my last post regarding this "chilling" thought.
Gave 13-Nov-2007, Got 3-Jan-2008.
Nayantara

Postby Infamy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 am

Getting back to the issue at hand, I have yet to hear about the XO being fickle over USB drives. I HAVE heard that reformatting them helps, so give that a go. Also, upgrade to 656 instead of 653.

-Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Postby pgf » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:28 am

Infamy wrote:Getting back to the issue at hand, I have yet to hear about the XO being fickle over USB drives. I HAVE heard that reformatting them helps, so give that a go. Also, upgrade to 656 instead of 653.

-Infamy

infamy -- the only issue i've seen in the forums (maybe the "other" forum :-) is that the firmware may be more picky than linux. so even if linux can recognize/read/write the USB drive, the firmware may not. i believe (from the little looking i did) that it uses a completely different set of code for drive recognition, and that code is not open. so it's not unbelievable that there might be differences. and since the firmware is involved in upgrades, it's may be the first place that the issue arises.

it's also probably worth trying to pin down the "reformatting" thing -- if reformatting _on_ the XO fixes the problem, that would be a more controlled piece of advice to give people. (if it's even possible -- the command would be "mkdosfs" if it's present.) otherwise, reformatting on windows box would be the next best advice, but there are more variables in play.

paul
pgf

Return to Networking / Internet