Flash player download

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Flash player download

Postby OPA » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm trying to download a flash player plug in so that my granddaughter can play on starfall. I can't seem to make it work. Any help is appreciated.
OPA

Re: Flash player download

Postby ffm » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:22 am

OLPC Support Volunteer
ffm
Support Team

Postby Grandma » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 am

Opa I also suggest you upgrade to build 656. My grand daughter uses "ClicknKids" and when I first downloaded Flash the program because of so many graphics wasn't working properly until I upgraded the XO's operating system to Build 656. Now it works awesome!
Grandma

Postby rorry » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:00 am

I've downloaded Adobe Flash, but can't get it installed.

I followed the instructions posted at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adobe_Flash. The download seems to work, but the install doesn't. I originally tried ver. 115, but after reading more decided to download ver 48 instead.

I'm using the following string to install: -bash-3.2# rpm -i flash-plugin-9.0.48.0-release.i386.rpm

After entering I receive the following message:
error: open of flash-plugin-9.0.48.0-release.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory

If it matters, I've already upgraded my OS to Build 656
rorry

Postby ffm » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:42 am

What's the output of the command "ls"?
OLPC Support Volunteer
ffm
Support Team

Postby rorry » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:40 pm

The output of "ls" is
index.html?rid=749406 index.html?rid=749406.1

What does that tell you?
rorry

Postby gelosialapt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:25 am

Use FireFox, try to open YouTube or dailymotion, and it will help you to find the flash player itself when you need to download a plugin.
gelosialapt

Postby joeysgram » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 am

Grandma wrote:Opa I also suggest you upgrade to build 656. My grand daughter uses "ClicknKids" and when I first downloaded Flash the program because of so many graphics wasn't working properly until I upgraded the XO's operating system to Build 656. Now it works awesome!

Where do you look to find out what build the system is? I recently updated my grandson's system but I am not at all sure what I did (I do know it worked).
joeysgram

Postby lgarcia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks to Catmoran's website http://www.catmoran.com/olpc/#sugxterm, I found the answer to your question about finding which build is on the XO:

Current OS version

To find the software version, press ctrl + alt + [Friends key f2]. You should see something like OLPC Build 650 on a black screen. To get back to the desktop, press ctrl + alt + [Home key f3]

My first XO from December came with build 650, the one for my daughter that arrived last week came with 656. I was wondering what the big difference was and if it was worth upgrading to build 656. The only difference I have seen so far is that build 650 goes to sleep after 20 minutes and a touch of a button brings it back up. This is convenient when I am reading an ebook that does not link to each chapter. The build 656 one seemed to turn itself off and then I had to scroll to my place in the ebook.

But, I am gettng ready to take the plunge to go into terminal for the first time and install flash and mplayer. If I am going to do that, I may as well upgrade the build 650 one first from what Grandma wrote.

Does anybody know of any other advantages to build 656?
lgarcia

Postby joeysgram » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:09 pm

Thank you! I did indeed get it updated to 656. I have not had it with me for months so don't know what the differences are. But I did install flash successfully. My next goal is to solve the wifi connection question - why it doesn't see my network.
joeysgram

Postby naninja » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I have the most recent version (656) and have the most current version of Flash installed.

I am trying to remove the ClickToView in Terminal mode and I get a bak file exists reply on the mkdir bak command and then when I try the mv agent... I get a Permission denied.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve? Also, does anyone know how to get the double window on Youtube resolved? The connection is also very dodgy on the youtube stream. Not sure why the stream is so choppy.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really want to get flash working smoothly so that my kid will actually use this thing.

Naninja
naninja

Postby cyb3r.kn19ht » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:00 pm

I know how to get around permission denied. Simply enter "su". It will log you in as Root, then you can do anything :twisted: to log out of Root enter "exit".
Good luck with getting YouTube to be smoother, wish I know how to help.
cyb3r.kn19ht

Flash Player Link on Browser

Postby nua » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:45 pm

I just got my new XO. Everything works fine so far. My son likes it. He uses the PBSKIDS (http://www.pbskids.org) website a lot to play and learn. The website is heavily dependent on Flash player. Every time the flash player is needed, the XO browser shows a link click on to launch the flash player instead of just launching the player like a regular browser. Any help on how I can get around this link would be appreciated.

--NUA
nua

Postby ektoric » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:49 am

ektoric
Support Team

Return to Networking / Internet