Are all those mesh networks real?

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Are all those mesh networks real?

Postby MarkS » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Whenever I look at network neighborhood, I see at least 3 network mesh icons. Are these "real" (like laptops in my physical environment), or are they placeholders in the event I ever find myself in the locale of a real network?

Thanks!
MarkS

Re: Are all those mesh networks real?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:43 pm

The three networks you are referring to (Mesh Network 1, 6 & 11), is a so-called simple mesh and is always present.
The principle of a mesh is to grow with it's users. A second XO in your area would also join these three channels and you would be able to see it in your neighborhood.
See also:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details#OLPC-Mesh_Association_Algorithm

danielfuhry

Postby ektoric » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:36 am

MarkS wrote:Are these "real" (like laptops in my physical environment), or are they placeholders in the event I ever find myself in the locale of a real network?

They are "real" frequencies which your XO attempts to talk on, but you can think of them as "placeholders" for others to also talk on to talk with you.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby dbirk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:39 am

It would help if such phantom features were turned off as a factory default setting.
Most computer users, adults and children alike expect features to have function. The XO concept of letting children explore the XO without a manual, requires that the keyboard keys should all do something, and the Neighbour symbols should all have purpose, otherwise the short attention spans of children will clause them to move on to other toys that work.
Elsewhere in the forums here or at http://olpcnews.com there are work-arounds to have the XO laptop skip the effort to log-on to the phantom nets. But that's a solution for geeks, not the intended XO audience. The software for the XO being essentially early prototype - I'm sure that we'll see these frustrating "features" fixed in subsequent builds. Think Windows 2.0 versus XP. :twisted:
dbirk

Postby lkeaton81 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:54 am

If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. We just received 2 XO laptops and without a manual I just don't understand. I thought the circles in the neighorhood were wireless connections but from what I have read they are not. We do not have wireless connections here therefore there is no way to connect am I correct ? If anyone knows about this computer and its programs such as how to even register the computer unless wireless is needed I would very much appreciate it .
Thank You for any help.
lkeaton81

Postby MarkS » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:24 pm

lkeaton81 wrote:If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. We just received 2 XO laptops and without a manual I just don't understand. I thought the circles in the neighorhood were wireless connections but from what I have read they are not.
There are 3 grayish circles that are almost always there, but aren't "real" unless you have another OLPC to talk to.

Other circles in brighter colors represent wireless access points. If you want to connect to the outside world (for instance, to browse the net) then you need to connect to one of these points. You don't say where you live or how you got the machines, but if you got the machines through the GIGO program then supposedly you can get a year of T-Mobile for free. T-Mobile is available at most Starbucks coffee shops. You can also find free wireless in the U.S. at many libraries.

You might even try driving (biking?) around your neighborhoods with the OLPC on. We did this last night, and at one point there was something like 2 dozen access points visible. Most of these were locked down of course.
MarkS

Return to Networking / Internet