Neighborhood view empty, even after reflashing

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Neighborhood view empty, even after reflashing

Postby rwhe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:26 pm

My wife and I got our G1G1 XOs about a week ago (build 656). I am an experienced Linux user and had had an XO on loan from a generous friend for about two months already, so please don't hesitate to get technical if you try to help.

My wife's XO's networking features seemed a little flaky when we got her machine; I don't remember the details. Nevertheless, we were able to get her onto the Internet via our access point, install software (Evince, FBReader, Seamonkey, etc.), collaborate via mesh (chatting), and so on. At one point, she couldn't see anything in her Neighborhood view, so I deleted her ~/.sugar/default/nm/network.cfg file, rebooted, and it seemed OK.

She left her XO alone for a few days (it was charged, but she didn't use it). Last night she asked me to install some more software for her, but I couldn't connect to the Internet. Her Neighborhood view was completely empty -- it didn't even have the three mesh circles, only the XO figure in the center. I could still see her XO in my Neighborhood and Friends views, but she couldn't see mine.

I tried deleting the network.cfg file again and rebooting a couple of times. Each time, I could see some access points in the Neighborhood view for a few seconds, including ours, but then they would disappear. There is no dot next to the battery icon in the Home view, not even a grey one. Her radio indicator light is dark.

I tried 'sugar-control-panel -s radio on', and didn't get an error, but the Neighborhood was still empty. I tried toggling the radio off and on, with no visible effect. I tried to get the status of the radio with the -g option, but got a couple of screenfuls of error messages -- I think they were DBUS errors, but I'm not sure.

I completely reflashed her XO with build 656 and the latest fs.zip this morning, hoping we had just corrupted the networking software, but when the machine rebooted, the Neighborhood was still empty.

We waited for a while as recommended in another thread, about 25 minutes, but the access points never came back.

She ran the XO self-test twice while I was at work today and says it didn't report any errors. However, she says it didn't report any access points during the radio test either.

My wife waited patiently about three months for her XO, but now she's really disappointed. I'm hoping that this is not a hardware problem, because I hear RMAs are a drag. Please advise.

Thanks,

Ron Hale-Evans
rwhe

Re: Neighborhood view empty, even after reflashing

Postby rwhe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Update:

I got home, deleted her network.cfg, and rebooted again. Her radio light immediately started blinking, and kept blinking almost until her Home screen was displayed, then went permanently dark. Still no access points.

I no longer see her XO in my own neighborhood.

Also:

$ sugar-control-panel -g radio

<bunch of Python foo, then...>

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

# /sbin/ifup eth0

Device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

Thanks,

Ron Hale-Evans
rwhe

Postby rwhe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:39 am

Further data:

I reflashed her XO again. I started seeing messages on reboot like

devpath 1 ep3in 3strikes
Resetting OLPC wireless

Yes, I did google this, but I can't tell from the bug reports whether it's hardware or software.

Next, I removed an SD card I had given her when I got a bigger one. I reflashed again and removed the USB flash drive containing the system image after reboot.

The first time I did this, I got some access points in the Neighborhood, but they went away when I was re-entering my WEP key, which I had mistyped. The second time, I got full connectivity, able to log into my access point and so on.

I just let the XO sit there for about 10 minutes. OK... Then I rebooted. Everything disappeared again.

Hardware or software problem, it's intermittent. Reinstalling software does seem to fix it temporarily, but it's fragile.
rwhe

Postby rwhe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:20 am

FYI, seems to be solved now. After one more reboot, networking returned and seems to persist across further reboots. The wise folk of the #olpc IRC channel opined that there was some intermittent USB flakiness that was interfering with the wifi USB device. Indeed, removing the USB drive containing the build 656 image after reflashing seemed to seal the deal.
rwhe

Postby rwhe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:09 am

Back to intermittent and disappearing access points. It's beginning to look like a hardware problem. We're probably going to RMA it, but I'm open to ideas.
rwhe

Postby rwhe » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:28 pm

See also this thread:

http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2151

I'll repeat what I said there. An engineer advised me on the #olpc IRC channel that I should type this command twice as root:

/sbin/iwlist eth0 scan

If I didn't see a list of neighborhood access points in text mode the second time I typed it, then I either had a problem with (1) the kernel, (2) the wireless drivers, or (3) the wireless hardware.

Since I reflashed multiple times, I had fresh copies of 1 and 2, so 3 (the hardware) has to be at fault.

We're RMAing her XO tonight.
rwhe

Postby tatman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Ron,

Did you get your XO back from the RMA process? Does it work any better?

I got my G1G1 machine a few weeks ago and "flaky" is a good characterization of the wifi connectivity that I've experienced. I've seen most of the same problems you described and have been trying to figure out if it is hw or sw. Please let us know how things went.

Lance
tatman

Return to Networking / Internet