Weird WEP With Hidden SSID

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Weird WEP With Hidden SSID

Postby tonywasalreadytaken » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:23 am

My school network has hidden SSID, when I connect with my Mac it says that the key is a WEP key and the key is a combination of 11 letters and 2 numbers. How do I connect to this network? I tried with iwconfig eth0 essid "SSID" key B1ankB1anking but it's not working. I have build 656. How can I go about connecting to this network? Thanks
Last edited by tonywasalreadytaken on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tonywasalreadytaken

Re: Weird WEP With Hidden SSID

Postby franco » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Your post caught my attention for a couple of reasons.

You very well may have the latest build, but I strongly suggest that you don't assume anything. Check. Are you aware what your build number is called? You need to provide accurate, verified info to get relevant help.

cat /boot/olpc_build

Secondly, are you posting a WEP encryption key for your school? :o They have it hidden for a good reason, I am sure. Do you have permission to post it to the Internet? The google robot will soon find your post to this forum and it will be on the internet. :shock: :shock:

Sure, some other guy who doesn't care about your school's security has posted it on the internet already, but your post will appear also.

As for the specifics of your problem, I will let someone else speak to that since I use WPA encryption and I use Neighborhood to connect to it.
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby tonywasalreadytaken » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:41 pm

The build: 656

I think that my school district has enough invested on security to take care of any problems. What would they do with this information? I guess they can leech off the wireless of certain school locations in the southern portion of the county, only to be blocked by WebSense and two other filters at every other webpage.

I edited it for your peace of mind :)
tonywasalreadytaken

Postby Raymond Wu » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:18 am

The subject of this post is extactly what I'm finding, but I have no idea on the replied suggestion totally.

I just got my XO 2 days and have a quick read on the manual. But I cannot find how can I connect it to internet through my home Access Point. My access point is setup in Hidden SSID and WEP key.

In the reply of this post mentioned something like need to key some commands in the command prompt. I have two questions:

1. How can I start the command prompt?
2. Can anyone help provide the full step by step instructions, start at the "Home" in my XO?

I hope I can master the XO before giving it to my relative for her Birthday present on March-19, and teach her father how to use. And publish some webpages to introduce XO and the G1G1 program in our region to my friends and colleagues. But seems it requires lots of technical skills to fully utilize it.

Please help.

Thanks!
Raymond Wu

Postby cuprum » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:04 am

It is certainly possible to connect this way, but it's a mess. The usual interface, "Sugar" is not designed with this in mind, so you'd be working with Linux directly.

I think the best suggestion I can give you is to not hide your SSID, and use WPA instead of WEP. WEP was broken years ago.

If you still want to use a hidden SSID, search the wiki for "hidden ssid".
cuprum

Postby miltonhork » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:24 am

All of first Secure your Wifi connection for this You have to do Mac Address filtering where you need to ask the user’s Mac address and enter it in the router web-form.
miltonhork

Return to Networking / Internet