WPA-PSK connectivity to DI-624 dlink

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Postby Debdaniel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:31 am

I followed the steps to execute the manual script in a terminal session as posted on the wiki (I have build 656) and everything seemed to work well. In neighborhood mode, it shows my wireless access point with an unlocked icon. However, as I go to use it in the browser, it will prompt for an encryption key repeatedly. Also prompts for key repeatedly in neighborhood and there is no IP address assigned with "ifconfig" in eth0.
Any ideas - just got my XO yesterday and was hoping to use it soon. Thanks
Debdaniel

Re: WPA-PSK connectivity to DI-624 dlink

Postby franco » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:36 am

My idea is to lock you access point up tight with WPA encryption and then use the code to connect when you try to lock on. I forget which of the drop down menu choices of encryption types I used. Research that part.

Franco
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby Debdaniel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Copied the key that was in networks.cfg and then emptied networks.cfg. Upon reboot, the lock was now visible in neighborhood. Entered the key for 12 prompts (my router is set to channel 6) and tried both encryptions ("automatic" and "tkip") - still locked and still comes back asking for a key dialog box. the router works fine with both Apple Mac (which detects the OLPC mesh BTW) and Windows, only OLPC has trouble.

Thanks for looking into this.
Debdaniel

Postby trashjunkid » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:57 am

Debdaniel-

I am having the same connectivity issue with the same router.

The discussion page of the xo wiki "WPA Manual Setting" http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:WPA_Manu ... ink_DI-624 has some ideas, though they didn't work for me.

Please post whatever workaround/efforts you attempt or try.

-Trashjunkid
trashjunkid

Postby Debdaniel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Thank you for the link - seems WPA2 is not fully supported on that router (which is now discontinued by manufacturer). So the solution may be to get a newer linksys router (This is a verizon FIOS recommended router so I may not be able to change that directly).

I'll let you know of any progress there, Thanks Deb Daniel
Debdaniel

Postby trashjunkid » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:57 pm

Deb-

Well hmm. I did try the suggestions on the page I linked to above. And they didn't work.

However.... after I shut down the computer and came back to it and tried once more, it connected.

Here are the last settings I used:
SuperG is disabled, network is not hidden.
I copied over the Wpa.sh file and followed the instructions (ssid,password, then 2 for wpa 2, then reboot).
I fixed the channel on the router to channel 6.
I changed the type to WPA2-Personal.

Then I tried restarting the xo a few times. I tried typing in the passphrase several times. Then I shut if off, came back an hour and a half later, went to the Neighborhood page, clicked on my icon, typed in my passphrase and it worked.
trashjunkid

Postby Debdaniel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:50 pm

My router settings(firmware version 2.43DDM) and my networks.cfg file(key-mgmt and wpa-ver both = 2) are the same as yours I think. I tried entering my passphrase a couple of times again - first as HEX string and then as the "text" passphrase. Do you use the HEX or text for your passphrase? I have tried changing my passphrase also but to no effect.

Thanks for your help, Deb Daniel
Debdaniel

Postby trashjunkid » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:12 pm

My router lists its firmware as: Firmware Version: 4.03. I seem to remember there being various revisions of this router out there- so perhaps they differ on that point.

I did try hex and regular text. The text passphrase eventually worked.

-Trashjunkid
trashjunkid

Postby egstern » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:44 pm

I also have the DI-624 dlink. I run it with WPA encryption (WPA2 is not reliable on this router.) I have had no success with trying to connect using the neighborhood view. In fact, it seems that whenever I try playing around with that, the other wireless devices loose their ability to connect to the router and I have to reboot it. The way I finally was able to connect was by a method based on information that I found on an ubuntu forum http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495. This seems to work OK and does not cause router troubles. I have to create my wpa_supplicant.conf file, using my passphrase encoded with wpa_passphrase, then from a virtual terminal I start wpa_supplicant in daemon mode, and also start dhclient (or specify a static address with ifconfig). It is certainly not pretty.

egstern

* Quote Debdaniel

Post by Debdaniel on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:31 pm
I followed the steps to execute the manual script in a terminal session as posted on the wiki (I have build 656) and everything seemed to work well. In neighborhood mode, it shows my wireless access point with an unlocked icon. However, as I go to use it in the browser, it will prompt for an encryption key repeatedly. Also prompts for key repeatedly in neighborhood and there is no IP address assigned with "ifconfig" in eth0.
egstern

Return to Networking / Internet