Apple AirPort Extreme WEP doesn't have WEP options

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Apple AirPort Extreme WEP doesn't have WEP options

Postby jjfeiler » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi all

Read all the help topics on connecting to an AirPort Extreme, but I still can't get my G1G1 to connect. One difference in the problem I'm having is that the XO sees my network, but doesn't provide the expected options for WEP... no options for shared/open key, only an option for setting Automatic/AES/TKIP. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

J
jjfeiler

Re: Apple AirPort Extreme WEP doesn't have WEP options

Postby xook » Wed May 21, 2008 11:36 am

Hi there! I'm using an Airport EXtreme base station thru my dsl modem. When I boot up and go to neighborhood view, by clicking on the network a window pops up asking me to sign in, giving me the options you are missing. Are you saying you have no such window?

It's not in the drop down box, double clicking brings up the window.

:)
xook

Postby mglantz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:18 pm

I am having the same problem.

The XO network sees the locked Apple AirPort Extreme but only gives an option for setting Automatic/AES/TKIP with no option for shared/open key or entering a hex or ASCII key etc.

I suspect that means that the AirPort is using WAP but can't be sure. As a novice, I don't really know about WEP vs WAP and I have been unsuccessful using the WAP instructions I've read about [url]http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WPA_Manual_Setting[/url] . I've upgraded to the latest firmware and have tried getting help from Apple.

Trying to connect has been very frustrating, especially since I have easily connected the machine to other wireless networks. People who use Apple are often less technically sophisticated and connecting the XO to an Apple Airport should be easier than this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
mglantz

Postby Elleme » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:24 am

Hi there! I am typing this on my XO using Apple Airport base station. Iuse an express to extend my current network. Is your set up similar to mine?
Elleme

Return to Networking / Internet