Using DSL USB cable

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Using DSL USB cable

Postby jandj417 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:14 am

I've read that with the proper Ethernet-to-USB converter I can bypass all the wireless connectivity confusion and "hardwire" my XO to the Internet. My Brighthouse DSL modem has both Ethernet and USB output ports. Do I have to use the Ethernet output and converter? Why can't I just use the USB cable from the DSL modem USB output and plug it directly into the XO USB port? Want to hear some opinions before I try it, in case I could do some damage. Thanks.
jandj417

Re: Using DSL USB cable

Postby ektoric » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 am

You won't do any dmg, except perhaps to your mental stability. :x
The chance you'll find the correct drivers for your DSL box in linux is slim. Chances you'll find an RPM to install is even more rare.

It's hard to envision that the XO is the only computer in your house that would want internet connectivity. An ethernet hub/switch/router would be more practical to allow both your "big" pc to connect alongside your XO pc.
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Using DSL USB cable

Postby sverma » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:35 pm

jandj417 wrote:I've read that with the proper Ethernet-to-USB converter I can bypass all the wireless connectivity confusion and "hardwire" my XO to the Internet. My Brighthouse DSL modem has both Ethernet and USB output ports. Do I have to use the Ethernet output and converter? Why can't I just use the USB cable from the DSL modem USB output and plug it directly into the XO USB port? Want to hear some opinions before I try it, in case I could do some damage. Thanks.

If you plan on using a USB-to-Ethernet convertor, make sure you check this list first for the ones that are known to work. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/USB_ethernet_adaptors
sverma

Return to Networking / Internet